Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 04:47 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure which sub section to place this so I'll try here. I'm in my 50's and have always been active playing sports, martial and such but have found myself much less active the last few years. I read an article in a recent Time magazine touting the benefits of Yoga for men. I've always viewed Yoga as a female thing but I readily admit I know nothing about it. Are there any men on here that do Yoga and if so what are your thoughts? Or ladies, do you do Yoga with men and find it is beneficial for them as well as you? How many times a week would one need to attend to really make a difference? Any basic info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 05:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
There is a thread "men are you into yoga?" Plenty of men do. Yoga is wonderful, you should try different styles to see which one you mesh with. It helps with strength, relaxation, stretching, all over health.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:38 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Thanks. Just found it.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:58 AM

259 posts, read 670,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
How many times a week would one need to attend to really make a difference? Any basic info would be appreciated.

Two or three.

I like hot yoga. Vinyasa and fusion are my favorites.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:03 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
You might also look into tai ji. If you've done martial arts, it may be easier for you to learn, both physically and mentally.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:00 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Wasn't sure which sub section to place this so I'll try here. I'm in my 50's and have always been active playing sports, martial and such but have found myself much less active the last few years. I read an article in a recent Time magazine touting the benefits of Yoga for men. I've always viewed Yoga as a female thing but I readily admit I know nothing about it. Are there any men on here that do Yoga and if so what are your thoughts? Or ladies, do you do Yoga with men and find it is beneficial for them as well as you? How many times a week would one need to attend to really make a difference? Any basic info would be appreciated.
I am an athletic female, took up yoga about 4 months ago (also recently started tai-chi). There are men in my yoga classes, and I highly recommend. There are all types of yoga depending on your goals. There is gentle, restorative yoga, power yoga, hot yoga and on and on. I am a true believer and I am hooked.

I don't want to go on and on but you asked how often. In the beginning, I would say to attend as often as you can each week so you learn some moves correctly. Once you have a practice going, you can do it at home and maybe attend once per week for a longer class. I do a lot of mine at home and I do it every day. That is how you see real benefits.

Good luck, I hope you give it a shot.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:13 AM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am an athletic female, took up yoga about 4 months ago (also recently started tai-chi). There are men in my yoga classes, and I highly recommend. There are all types of yoga depending on your goals. There is gentle, restorative yoga, power yoga, hot yoga and on and on. I am a true believer and I am hooked.

I don't want to go on and on but you asked how often. In the beginning, I would say to attend as often as you can each week so you learn some moves correctly. Once you have a practice going, you can do it at home and maybe attend once per week for a longer class. I do a lot of mine at home and I do it every day. That is how you see real benefits.
Good post.

I too recommend going to as many classes per week that you can attend. Once you get your basics down, and develop a few flow routines, you can do it at home then maybe cut back to 2-3 times per week of attending classes, but do it EVERY DAY!!!

OP, with your martial arts background you will absolutely LOVE Vinyasa. I have a background in martial arts and totally fell in love with Vinyasa. Other forms of yoga just dont do it for me, but Vinyasa is incredible and a fantastic addition to your martial arts practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness