Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:29 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times

Advertisements

For a person who only does cardio boot camps, crossfit, stairs, elliptical, etc.

I read Fitbit is only steps taken and HRM is the way to go for caloric consumption although it does not really track certain type of burns.

Looking at the review here The Best Activity Trackers for Fitness | PCMag.com and well I am no gadget person. I hate gadgets.

To those who track their burn via portable electronic means for the applications above in bold what are you using and are happy with? Also which ones have you tried and recommend to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 04:02 PM

968 posts, read 2,617,804 times
If your goal is for accuracy, a HRM will be more accurate than activity trackers such as Fitbit. Additionally, a HRM can give up a better estimate of what target zone you're in during a workout. I know Polar's HRMs are probably most popular but their options from Wahoo Fitness, Garmin TomTom, and others.

I am not expert, so please no one flame me for this... Personally, the Fitbit was a great motivator and a reality check on how inactive I was on any given day. The Fitbit step projections provide clarity, especially for those that live a sedentary life but may not be cognizant of it. It was a motivator to get off of my @ss. Along the journey, I did get a HRM to get better projections of calories burned. Fitbit and MyFitnessPal became a diary of my activity.

At the end of the day, I'm sure that HRMs and activity trackers have flaws but they provide good estimates of your progress.

If you need help on devices, google 'DC Rainmaker'. This fitness enthusiast has very detailed reviews on every device out there and a large following.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 PM

It is a gift for someone who needs the motivation.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
My old Polar HRM finally kicked the bucket after many years of service. I read a lot and visited DC Rainmaker several times, and I'm now saving up for a Polar M400, as it is both a running watch and serves as an activity tracker, the best of both worlds at a reasonable cost. I have had issues with palpitations over the years, so for me a heart rate monitor is a necessity while exercising, but it is nice to have the activity tracker as well, since I have an extremely sedentary job.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:19 PM

968 posts, read 2,617,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
... I read a lot and visited DC Rainmaker several times, and I'm now saving up for a Polar M400, as it is both a running watch and serves as an activity tracker, the best of both worlds at a reasonable cost. ...
Karen, I'm also looking at the Polar M400. My only concern is that it currently does not support the foot pods, to monitor distance on a treadmill. The feature is supposed to be available but Polar has not provided a time estimate. Otherwise, I think the M400 is one of the nicest HRM+activity trackers available at that price point.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:39 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,788,010 times
An HRM doesn't track how many calories you burned. It gives you feedback on your heart rate...hence the name. I know some of the devices have a calories burned function but I really don't think any of them are very accurate...or accurate enough.

And a lesser amount of calories is much more easily accomplished through diet rather than exercise.

I appreciate your effort to support your friend however. I'm not really familiar with fitbit. An HRM is a great tool for zone work, which is very important when doing cardio. If she uses it right, it can be motivating and effective. I would look towards helping to motivate her towards a different types of results rather than # of calories burned.

Best of luck.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:49 AM

Purchased Polar FT4 as a gift and recipient is quite pleased with it.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
For a person who only does cardio boot camps, crossfit, stairs, elliptical, etc.

I read Fitbit is only steps taken and HRM is the way to go for caloric consumption although it does not really track certain type of burns.

Looking at the review here The Best Activity Trackers for Fitness | PCMag.com and well I am no gadget person. I hate gadgets.

To those who track their burn via portable electronic means for the applications above in bold what are you using and are happy with? Also which ones have you tried and recommend to avoid?
I'm looking for one too; one that will track heart rate and calories burned, etc. Most everyone I work out with wear a chest strap - which I think would drive me INSANE.

Some of them have a fitbit AND another electronic tracker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
My old Polar HRM finally kicked the bucket after many years of service. I read a lot and visited DC Rainmaker several times, and I'm now saving up for a Polar M400, as it is both a running watch and serves as an activity tracker, the best of both worlds at a reasonable cost. I have had issues with palpitations over the years, so for me a heart rate monitor is a necessity while exercising, but it is nice to have the activity tracker as well, since I have an extremely sedentary job.
I'm going to check this one out.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM

FT4 has a HR transmitter strap worn around the chest. Gift was for a female and she is able to achieve a snug fit with placement just underneath the sports bra.

I do not know if I could get used to wearing out around my chest.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:51 PM

I borrowed the FT4 in question for two days. On Thursday past did all elliptical one hour at usual speed and resistance. HR matched the machine reader but calorie burn,(reprogrammed for self) was off as in calculating too many exhausted by 150 calories. Machine inputs are weight, age and gender. FT4 is the same.

Today did weights for 45 minutes and believe calorie burn rate was too high.(by about 200 calories) Then did 1 hr cardio boot camp and again calorie burn calculator believe is too high. (by about 300 calories)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness