Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:01 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm beginning to train to hopefully compete in the Steamtown Marathon in Scranton, PA this Fall. I've been running casually for the past three years now, and I run up and down a lot of hills to help prepare myself for the mountainous vs. valley topography along the route of this particular marathon. I tend to run an average of 6-8 miles several days per week on warmer days and run on the treadmill during the winter. However, I got "bold" the other day and went running when temperatures here eclipsed the freezing mark only to wind up in a heavy wheezing and coughing fit from a mix of inhaling the cold air along with inhaling diesel exhaust fumes from the adjacent highway. I looked so badly that a nearby motorist pulled over and checked on my condition. Since then I've been sticking to the treadmill, but I have trouble staying motivated running in the same spot in this cramped room when I've grown accustomed to running through five different towns near me and bumping into many friends and acquaintances.

What advice, if anything, can you all give me about what I should do in order to overcome the winter doldrums? What might make my treadmill workouts seem less boring? What might make it more feasible to run outdoors here in Antarctica...errr...Pennsylvania? Would altering my diet and/or water consumption patterns make running outdoors in frigid temperatures any easier? I firmly believe that my complications the last time were split half between me not stocking up on enough water beforehand (your body's "thirst" signal doesn't work as well in the cold weather), as well as the air pollution from the diesel exhaust fumes floating around. I know I can easily drink more water, but what can I do to better guard my lungs against smog besides going to my city council meetings and b*tching about poor air quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 04:00 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
Congratulations on training for a marathon! I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you,unfortunately.I have run off and on for many years,but have never done more than 10 miles.I used to live in Wi so I did run in cold weather,but more often than not,I would just take a break.Maybe you might benefit from posting on the exercise forum.I asked a question there about training for a marathon and had a few replies.Good Luck to you. I hope you get an answer,you have been so helpful to so many of the rest of us!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Congratulations on training for a marathon! I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for you,unfortunately.I have run off and on for many years,but have never done more than 10 miles.I used to live in Wi so I did run in cold weather,but more often than not,I would just take a break.Maybe you might benefit from posting on the exercise forum.I asked a question there about training for a marathon and had a few replies.Good Luck to you. I hope you get an answer,you have been so helpful to so many of the rest of us!
Thank you very much for your insight. I will ask a moderator soon if he/she can relocate this thread to the Exercise forum. It's always been a goal of mine to compete in the Steamtown Marathon and eventually the major marathons (Chicago, Boston, New York, etc.). I'm hoping I can do this!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Thank you very much for your insight. I will ask a moderator soon if he/she can relocate this thread to the Exercise forum. It's always been a goal of mine to compete in the Steamtown Marathon and eventually the major marathons (Chicago, Boston, New York, etc.). I'm hoping I can do this!
Thanks for the move! (You know who you are!)

Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times
Smile Layering will help you stay warm on cold days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post

What advice, if anything, can you all give me about what I should do in order to overcome the winter doldrums? What might make my treadmill workouts seem less boring? What might make it more feasible to run outdoors here in Antarctica...errr...Pennsylvania? Would altering my diet and/or water consumption patterns make running outdoors in frigid temperatures any easier? I firmly believe that my complications the last time were split half between me not stocking up on enough water beforehand (your body's "thirst" signal doesn't work as well in the cold weather), as well as the air pollution from the diesel exhaust fumes floating around. I know I can easily drink more water, but what can I do to better guard my lungs against smog besides going to my city council meetings and b*tching about poor air quality?
Well that was awfully nice that someone stopped to check on you.

Definitely dress for the weather in layers. And hydrate before the run.
Your body will get dehydrated even in freezing cold temps. You just may not realize it like you would if it were 85+ degrees.

You should think of yourself as being 20 degrees warmer when running as opposed to standing still and dress for that warmer temperature.
You'll have to bring along some extra layers that you can toss as you warm up.

Moderately Cold (40 - 60 Degrees)
One layer is probably adequate. This layer may range from a singlet, tee-shirt, long sleeved tee shirt, or sweat shirt plus shorts. At slower speeds you'll want more clothes and may decide to use two layers. Lycra lightweight tights will be helpful at the low end of the temp scale and an optional hat at the low end as well.

Chilly Cold (25 - 39 Degrees)
Two layers are helpful in this near freezing and sub-freezing temperature range. An under-layer of light to moderately heavy tights of a variety of synthetic fibers to upper polypropylene or coolmax or thermax long sleeve shirts and an optional light weight Goretex jacket or other wind breaking jacket. A hat and gloves should also be worn.

Bone Chilling Cold (10 - 24 Degrees)
Hat and Gloves go at the top of the list and an optional additional head covering hood. Three layers are usually worn in this temperature range. Some will wear light weight synthetic gloves under a goretex cover. Many glove options exist. Upper torso cover with a synthetic long sleeved shirt or two or some other middle layer and a wind breaker over layer. Legs might need tights and a wind breaking outer cover.

A significant amount of body heat can be lost through the head, if uncovered. Keeping your head covered will help keep body heat and circulation directed to areas where it is really needed. The best material for your hat is wool or synthetic material that will wick away moisture. It is important to protect all areas from exposure. The areas most vulnerable are the head, hands and feet.

Slap In The Face Cold (Below 10 Degrees)
Here you'll need layers as above and then some. A balaclava and additional neck covering can be helpful. It will help keep the bus smog or any other airborne pollutants out of your lungs. I also think that a balaclava would be a quicker option other than complaining to city hall...
Fleece pant linings or shirts can be helpful. Use a protective upper torso and lower torso outer wind breathing lining.
Frostbite is a greater danger in this zone. It can also occur in the two ranges above.

Cold Rain and Snow
Make sure your entire body is well protected. While running on extremely cold and snow covered ground, you may have noticed how cold your feet can feel. To minimize this wear absorbent and dry socks. In many cases polypropylene or acrylic can "wick" moisture away and are helpful. Coolmax or Thermax are particularly good to wear in weather like this. Immediately following your run, change to a dry pair of socks.

Polypropylene and goretex clothes are also an aid to keeping your body warm and dry. The wicking action of polypropylene is excellent. Combined with a light weight goretex suit - you can run comfortably without the necessity of old fashioned thick layering. When it is not too cold, one layer of a polypropylene shirt below a sweat shirt should be enough for your upper body and polypropylene or lycra tights should suffice for your legs. When it becomes very cold, goretex or nylon will help lessen the effect of wind chill. Use an inner layer of polypropylene, and optionally a long sleeve t-shirt as a middle layer, then the outer wind breaking shell of goretex or nylon. For the legs, you may add sweat pants over a polypropylene set of tights and if it is exceptionally cold you can substitute Goretex pants or nylon for the outer layer. Goretex is probably the ideal outer layer. Goretex is a breathing fabric and and may help keep you more comfortable than nylon. Nylon does not breathe and may contribute to excess perspiration.
A ski cap or ski mask can be used on your head, and don't forget gloves. Some runners use the Bill Rogers recommended painters gloves for relatively mild weather. For colder weather, inner polypropylene gloves and an outer layer of mittens can be used.

Wind chill is important to keep in mind when exercising in the cold.
Running can contribute to a heightened wind chill factor. Running with the wind reduces the effect of wind chill. It is a good idea to run into the wind to start off your run, and then return with the wind at your back. This will lessen the chilling effect of the wind on your body after you have perspired, and make the return trip easier. Don't forget that during and after long winter runs, you will still require fluid replacement. Skin protection should also be used. Sun block and moisturizer will help prevent the development weather worn "runner's face."

When I use my treadmill, I listen to upbeat music...I like House music to keep the beat and pace going, but listen to whatever you like.
My treadmill is in my basement and there are no windows except for block windows. So some light does come in. It's funny, I have more motivation to use the treadmill during daylight hours than I do when it's night-time.
I'll still do it at night but I like the daylight much better.

Happy Running and Good Luck with your Marathon!

OT: I noticed you have a Border Collie....you need to post pics in the new Border Collie Club in the Pet Forum!...
//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...llie-club.html

Last edited by citybythebay; 01-05-2008 at 09:41 PM..

Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Have you tried any podcasts? Those are fun sometimes. Good luck! I'm jealous that you're taking it to the next level!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
I wish I had some good advice as I have the same problem with my lungs when running outside in the cold. Running on the treadmill is a different mindset. For Christmas my son got me the ipod sensor for my Nike shoe. It has actually helped me keep motivated. The other day was one that if I hadn't preprogrammed in how far I was going to run, I probably would have stopped at 3 miles. A motivating voice helps - and the guilt of quitting early and seeing that when I went to upload it to my Nike+ account.....
A couple of days ago here in Denver it was in the upper 50's so I decided to do my run outside, even though the winds were blowing hard, hard! I'm sure I looked funny because running against that wind I felt like I was barely moving. The run back home though was a "breeze" to say the least. But in any event, it was nice to get outside!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,657 times
Wow! We must be tough here in the UP of Michigan. I have personally run (more than once) when it was -20 below and that was just the temperature, no windchill. The Easy Striders Running club runs at least 3 days (or nights) per week, year around. Our normal temperatures vary from 0 to 20 degrees Dec. thru March. We do all of our training OUTDOORS! Now, granted we don't have to deal with SMOG or car fumes but I only wear my balaclava when it is 0 degrees or colder! At -20 I wear silk long underwear and a heavier tight on bottom. Two longsleeve running shirts and my (summer) running jacket. We ALWAYS wear reflective jackets or vests and headlamps as it is usually dark. Running in the winter (and cold) is FANTASTIC! I have NEVER had a issue with my breathing and it is impossible to freeze your lungs. When it is 0 or colder our runs are 3-4 miles long, but our fearless leader (he has run everyday for over 17 years and 61,000 miles) runs a 20 mile run every month and has done many at 0 degrees! It is harder to run when the snow gets deep. My advice....find a GOOD friend and enjoy winter running! If you can't find good friends...move to the UP of Michigan. Us Yoopers love everyone! (Come to Ironwood!)

Old 01-13-2008, 03:17 PM

110 posts, read 292,669 times
Talking Cold weather runners - "real men?'' or just plain nuts!

A few years ago when the guys in this group were in their mid 50's and early 60's, we would get together on Sunday mornings at a closed down Air Force base regardless of weather and run around the base's perimiter road. Two engineers in the back row were constantly arguing over the length of the run; was it 9.3 or 9.6 miles? Most of us didn't care; it was close enough to 10 to call it that. Here in central New York we average up to 120" of snow per winter and on this particular day I believe the wind-chill hovered around the -20 degree mark. The two guys in shorts had a contest going on to see who could run that winter in shorts the longest. The looser had to buy dinner for the other at one of our area's better resturants. The contest helped the rest of us forget the cold and was a constant source of ball busting for us. Anyway, the contest went from early November until one of them gave up, was hospitalized for exposure or an ending date of April 1, which ever came first. As it turned out, they both hung on for the duration and we all went out to celebrate. Death and injury have taken its toll since the photo was made but the three of us who are left still joke about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Calling All Cold-Weather Runners!-sunday-winter-.jpg  

Old 01-14-2008, 01:27 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
I prefer to run/jog outside, but I do wear just 2 layers and I only go about 2-3 times a week, during the cold weather (in spring and summer I go a full 5 days a week). And I try to go, when it's the "warmest" (around 11 or 12 afternoon), so I don't have to wear so much clothing and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness