Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:04 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,184,345 times

Advertisements

I would like to buy a few of these specifically for surgery recovery. I don't normally do any of this I eat ok, but they recommend amping up your protein by 20 or 30gs, I've even seen Dr's recommend 100gs (total) a day! And I might not feel like eating much the first couple of days (though I haven't run into much that knocks me off my feed so far

I did some googling and found conflicting recommendations. One talked about a different kind of protein vs. just whey. One that was recommended on one site/blog was slammed for too much suger or something on another (I think Bolthouse was one of these).

I would like a fairly high amount of protein, low sodium because I don't want to increase swelling which will be a problem already. Not as concerned about the sugar since this will only be for a week.
I bought two ISOPURE 40g drinks, sort of look like kool aid. Maybe I can add it to water throughout the day.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 02:02 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,549,614 times
Why would you buy pre-made protein shakes? You can make much better shakes with some protein powder and a blender.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:47 PM

Because I'm only going to do this for about a week.

Maybe just protein bars instead?

Old 12-31-2014, 04:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,806,413 times
There is specific protein for medical applications. Much more expensive than meal replacement over the counter stuff.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:44 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,806,413 times
Here is an example
Clinical Nutrition

I purchase for a family member who has cancer and consumes the product due to weakened status from chemotherapy.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:23 AM

That is interesting info but I'm not chronic. I don't think I need to go there.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:23 AM

4,540 posts, read 5,364,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

Any recommendations?
Recommendation #1 - Talk to your doctor. Because we do not know what kind/type of surgery you had, its really unwise for us to recommend anything. Get recommendations from your doctor, not strangers on the internet who have no idea what surgery you are recovering from and who could recommend something that will harm you instead of help you.

Recommendation #2 - Without knowing your medical history, and just going on my own experience with people who have gone through cancer treatments that cause loss of appetite, I have known many doctors recommend patients to drink Ensure. But this isnt something you will probably want if you have had stomach surgery or something similar. Ask your doctor.

Recommendation #3 - Pre-made protien shakes have WAAAAAAAY too much sugar. So, me personally, I advise staying away from them because sugar is always the enemy. Best thing to do (if you absolutely MUST have protein shake, AND your doctor says its okay) is to buy Optimum Nutrition Whey from GNC, mix with plain almond milk and raw spinach, kale and brussel sprouts.

Bottom line, ask your doctor. Dont Google what other doctors may recommend. Dont ask people here who ARENT doctors and who DONT know your medical history or what surgery you just had. You dont want to drink something that causes issues with your surgery only to go back and have to tell your doctor after he asks you "WTF did you do? Why didnt you just ask me?" and you say "Oh, these strange people on the internet told me that is should eat.........".

Old 01-01-2015, 12:26 PM

Oh good lord, forget it

Old 01-02-2015, 01:04 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,813,285 times
None of the OTC store-bought taste good, IMO. I bought a whole case of Muscle Milk at Costco & threw it away. Nasty stuff.

One of the brands used in bariatric programs is New Direction. It's delicious, but expensive and only available through practitioners. The other brand that is frequently recommended for post-gastric surgery patients is Synthrax Nectar. It's quite good. I don't remember if New Direction or Synthrax have pre-mix drinks.

Arbonne makes pea protein pre-mix drinks & power. It's very good.

I would suggest going to someplace like Vitamin Shop & buying a variety of brands/flavors.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:16 AM

29,470 posts, read 22,480,143 times
Labrada Nutrition makes the tastiest protein shakes

Labrada.com - LEAN BODY®RTD CASE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness