Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:11 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times

Advertisements

I think it would be disrespectful to actually run over marked graves, but not to run through the cemetery in general. I actually like to run and walk in cemeteries - they're often very beautiful, and I don't see the point in creating a beautiful place and writing on a headstone and then just letting it sit there, forgotten. Cemeteries are meant to be seen. I would only be concerned if the grass is maintained or landscaped, and your running through it might be damaging it. I do not think cemeteries are sacred places - certainly not if they are open to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree.

Also, I believe that most/many cemeteries have guidelines than prohibit activities such as running, skateboarding, roller blading, etc.

OP, imagine that you were burying your parents, spouse or child and a jogger runs past the graveside religious ceremony. Even if they were not jumping over graves and running on the grass I would suspect that you, and your relatives and friends, would be unsettled and disturbed by their presence.
Does no one actually read the original post?

The OP clearly said that the cemetery is not active. She is not running past any ceremonies.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:44 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I wouldn't mind if you step on my grave.

But I wouldn't do it since most people seem to think otherwise.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:49 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
I agree.

Also, I believe that most/many cemeteries have guidelines than prohibit activities such as running, skateboarding, roller blading, etc.

OP, imagine that you were burying your parents, spouse or child and a jogger runs past the graveside religious ceremony. Even if they were not jumping over graves and running on the grass I would suspect that you, and your relatives and friends, would be unsettled and disturbed by their presence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Does no one actually read the original post?

The OP clearly said that the cemetery is not active. She is not running past any ceremonies.
Even if the cemetery is "not active" and there are not currently any graveside ceremonies the OP can use my example of why people may be insulted, angry or upset if they see people running over their deceased relative's graves or just running on the path and using that holy place to exercise. What will the OP or others decide to do next, play touch football? Fly kites? Play tag? How are those games or exercises any different than jogging?

Obviously, some people disagree but to me, and to many other people, cemeteries are a place of quiet reflection and prayer not a place to exercise. I have relatives buried in several different rural cemeteries and I believe that each one has some type of posting restricting things like "skateboarding, snow mobiles, all terrain vehicles, horse back riding, running" and they are also listing as "private property".

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-09-2015 at 04:08 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 03:50 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I think cemeteries can be very meditative places for various reasons to all. I think that running would qualify as one of those reasons.

I've done a lot of walking in various ones. I'd like to think that if there are any spirits there that they are enjoying the company.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:54 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
I photograph headstones for historical purposes, and in many cemeteries it's not allowed.

The National Cemetery where I live states " This cemetery is not a recreational activities center. No walking, jogging or pets allowed except for seeing eye dogs."

Old 01-09-2015, 04:30 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,009 times
I say do it.

Bury me under a playground so that kids can enjoy themselves and me ol' bones won't be so lonely.

Honestly giant sterile manicured plots of land that no one visits but once a year are awful.

OP as a fun twist you could also increase your cardio by waving your arms frantically while running and yelling "zombies!!!!"

Just a thought.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
For all of you who say that you run, walk, bike, exercise, etc in cemeteries, does it matter to you if the cemetery is posted prohibiting recreational activities or do you just ignore the signs because you disagree with that policy?

Old 01-09-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Even if the cemetery is "not active" and there are not currently any graveside ceremonies the OP can use my example of why people may be insulted, angry or upset if they see people running over their deceased relative's graves or just running on the path and using that holy place to exercise. What will the OP or others decide to do next, play touch football? Fly kites? Play tag? How are those games or exercises any different than jogging?

Obviously, some people disagree but to me, and to many other people, cemeteries are a place of quiet reflection and prayer not a place to exercise. I have relatives buried in several different rural cemeteries and I believe that each one has some type of posting restricting things like "skateboarding, snow mobiles, all terrain vehicles, horse back riding, running" and they are also listing as "private property".
She also said she is NOT running over graves.

Not all cemeteries have signs saying private property - where I live now, they all do. However, where I grew up, none of them do. They are public spaces. I used to jog in them all the time, and a lot of people took walks there. They are like parks. When I'm dead, I'd like to be buried in a place where people go to walk and have fun - not some sad place where no one is even allowed in.

And there are probably no signs prohibiting running, or the OP wouldn't need to ask if it's OK.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
even if there were signs, who cares? its not like she is stealing stuff. if she is willing to take the small chance of arrest, I don't see a problem. YOLO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness