Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you don't do the rehab correctly, you risk chronic tendonitis.
The injury originated from a sprain in may which developed to pretty severe tendonitis which required daily medicine and a boot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
I was told that by therapists after rotator cuff injury. I threw out my shoulder in baseball.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:43 PM

50 posts, read 115,247 times
Hi - I had bilateral foot surgery in 2013. During the recovery, I focused on upper body exercises. You Tube has several videos with seated aerobics, seated toning, chair yoga, wheelchair aerobics, etc. it got my heart rate up and kept my weight in check. I also did floor pilates (much slower than usual). My podiatrist ok'd my activity. It wasn't my preferred type of exercise, but it was better than not doing anything. Listen to your body and if something hurts or doesn't feel right, don't do it.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:32 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
I hurt my foot over the summer & couldn't walk normal for weeks. Eventually I got to the point where there wasn't a lot of pain/swelling when I got home from work, but I still had instructions to keep off it...so I tried chair aerobics. People laughed at me because it's for older people, but it got my heart rate up enough so that I felt satisfied. Search you tube for videos.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:27 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,485 times
May I ask the OP what peroneal tendonitis feels like and where it hurts?

The internet doc in me feels like I am suffering from it as well but not as severe.
My pains starts in the outside bottom mid feet and travels right under the ankle bone. When I first got it, it was painful to even walk and took about a week to recover. About a week of resting, I was able run about a mile then the pain came back but recovery took a lot less... probably about 2 days and it felt good again. Now it is very mild and I am able to run about a mile and a half before I start feeling it. When this happens, I can stop the run and it goes away and walking is not a problem at all. There may be a slight pulling feeling but it really doesn't bother me. This morning I did a mile and a half and right now I am not feeling any discomfort. Not sure if it matters but I was doing about 3 miles of run/walk per session prior this.

I was about to go see a podiatrist but since it feels a lot better now, I am taking it as it is healing well and getting stronger. But nonetheless, I am still curious.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 AM

919 posts, read 1,690,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post

The internet doc in me feels like I am suffering from it as well but not as severe.
My pains starts in the outside bottom mid feet and travels right under the ankle bone. When I first got it, it was painful to even walk and took about a week to recover. About a week of resting, I was able run about a mile then the pain came back but recovery took a lot less... probably about 2 days and it felt good again. Now it is very mild and I am able to run about a mile and a half before I start feeling it. When this happens, I can stop the run and it goes away and walking is not a problem at all. There may be a slight pulling feeling but it really doesn't bother me. This morning I did a mile and a half and right now I am not feeling any discomfort. Not sure if it matters but I was doing about 3 miles of run/walk per session prior this.

I was about to go see a podiatrist but since it feels a lot better now, I am taking it as it is healing well and getting stronger. But nonetheless, I am still curious.

For me the pain varied.

Usually, it was sharp shooting pain that came and went sporadically, other times the pain was ongoing, however, more than not it was aggravated by walking. Walking up stairs (at oys worse) was very painful and something I often avoided.

I feel it in the area below my ankle , back to right in front of my heel and down to midway my foot (lengthwise) and on top of my foot, where my calf and foot connect.

Also, thanks for the suggestions everyone!/

Old 01-14-2015, 06:56 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post

Well, I self-diagnosed myself based on the symptoms I had from my research. My pain was outside mid-foot as well. There was absolutely no pain to the touch or when I was just sitting idle. I only had pain when I was trying to put pressure on the foot (standing/walking).

The pain, while trying to walk, was severe for about 5-6 days.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:26 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Well, I self-diagnosed myself based on the symptoms I had from my research. My pain was outside mid-foot as well. There was absolutely no pain to the touch or when I was just sitting idle. I only had pain when I was trying to put pressure on the foot (standing/walking).

The pain, while trying to walk, was severe for about 5-6 days.
That's pretty close to what I went through.
Have you fully recovered since?
Any do's and don'ts based on your experience?

Old 01-15-2015, 07:07 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
All injuries are different, so I cannot directly relate to your injury. And I will preface my comments with the standard disclaimer of: Ask Your Doctor and Physical Therapist

Back in April I ruptured my Achilles tendon (completely severed). I had surgery. I was in a boot for 6 weeks non weight bearing, then several weeks after that with crutches and then finally without until the boot came off. I was in PT for 3+ months, and still feel the effect of the injury today.

Pre-injury I did a lot of spinning and weight training. I was in process of doing lifting at Gold's Gym which was new for me (6 months). I was doing squats and deads and other heavier lifting. I've done a lot of the Beachbody routines (P90X etc).

Two weeks after surgery I asked if I could do upper body dumbbell routines seated on a bench. IT was OK'd as long as the boot stayed on with zero pressure on it. I made up a standard routine of bench, seated curls, seated tri extension and kickbacks, Arnold presses never putting the bad leg down. When given permission I began putting the leg down but still seated. I also did a few mid section exercising. Under PT guidance I increased my at home work steadily until I was using the leg again. Slowly adding things like P90X Plyometrics and other things. Now I'm back at it. And I corroborated their guidance with additional research as no way in hell did I want to stupidly re-injure myself.

Obviously in order to keep weight down and with limited calorie burn, diet was very important. I was gaining weight lifting until the injury. I lost 10 pounds over 6 months during the hardest part of recovery, watching the diet being of utmost importance.

My point is, I did nothing other than allowed by my surgeon when I asked him or my therapist. Don't take anyone's advice here - let only those who are in direct contact with your injury and recovery guide you.

Are you back to full weight training after this injury (squats, lunges, etc)?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:24 PM

356 posts, read 365,486 times
Just take it easy don't rush it and heal up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness