Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 07:15 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,649 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

So I have a torn Peroneal tendon (the tendon on the outside of my foot) and am currently in a cast. The cast comes off in a few days but then I'll be in a walking boot for an unconfirmed amount of time. I want to make sure to keep active and loose weight but I know I'll be very limited any suggestions?

I used to do Zumba daily and lost A LOT of weight but I've been injured ever since

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 09:05 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Do whatever your doctor says to do or not do. Don't mess with this and risk reinjury. Are you planning on physical therapy?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Do whatever your doctor says to do or not do. Don't mess with this and risk reinjury. Are you planning on physical therapy?

I will be in PT for several months intensively, however this probably will not start for another 2 weeks or so.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:27 PM

bumpp

Old 01-11-2015, 07:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
You can probably swim, but like the other poster said, you need to ask your doctor so you don't re-injur yourself.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:01 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Hello everyone!

So I have a torn Peroneal tendon (the tendon on the outside of my foot) and am currently in a cast. The cast comes off in a few days but then I'll be in a walking boot for an unconfirmed amount of time. I want to make sure to keep active and loose weight but I know I'll be very limited any suggestions?

I used to do Zumba daily and lost A LOT of weight but I've been injured ever since

Thanks!
All injuries are different, so I cannot directly relate to your injury. And I will preface my comments with the standard disclaimer of: Ask Your Doctor and Physical Therapist

Back in April I ruptured my Achilles tendon (completely severed). I had surgery. I was in a boot for 6 weeks non weight bearing, then several weeks after that with crutches and then finally without until the boot came off. I was in PT for 3+ months, and still feel the effect of the injury today.

Pre-injury I did a lot of spinning and weight training. I was in process of doing lifting at Gold's Gym which was new for me (6 months). I was doing squats and deads and other heavier lifting. I've done a lot of the Beachbody routines (P90X etc).

Two weeks after surgery I asked if I could do upper body dumbbell routines seated on a bench. IT was OK'd as long as the boot stayed on with zero pressure on it. I made up a standard routine of bench, seated curls, seated tri extension and kickbacks, Arnold presses never putting the bad leg down. When given permission I began putting the leg down but still seated. I also did a few mid section exercising. Under PT guidance I increased my at home work steadily until I was using the leg again. Slowly adding things like P90X Plyometrics and other things. Now I'm back at it. And I corroborated their guidance with additional research as no way in hell did I want to stupidly re-injure myself.

Obviously in order to keep weight down and with limited calorie burn, diet was very important. I was gaining weight lifting until the injury. I lost 10 pounds over 6 months during the hardest part of recovery, watching the diet being of utmost importance.

My point is, I did nothing other than allowed by my surgeon when I asked him or my therapist. Don't take anyone's advice here - let only those who are in direct contact with your injury and recovery guide you.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Oooh...I hurt this tendon recently in both feet though not as bad as you. For about a week I could barely walk and when I did, it was pretty much on the balls of foot or heels only.

Anyways, after about a week the majority of pain subsided. I started running again at 3 weeks post injury and my feet had some soreness after resuming this activity so I'd say I'm probably not 100% yet.

Swimming would be good or perhaps cycling but I would clear everything with your therapist.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:40 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Absolutely clear everything with the PT first. It sounds like resistance arm exercises would be fine. But the most important thing is to heal from the injury. I had bilateral shoulder surgery and was in a sling and physical therapy for each arm for 12 weeks. Normally I exercise a lot, but after each surgery, I just took it easy mostly, because reinjury would have put me back at square one, and may have even required further surgery. Perhaps you should do the same because you sure don't want to hurt your foot again. A lot of people gain weight after surgery. If you're careful about your diet, you can minimize the weight gain, even with no exercise. Then when you're healed, get back in the groove slowly, and you can get rid of any extra pounds you've gained from being out of commission. Good luck!

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 01-12-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 04:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
I agree with the others--listen to your doc and PT person. They have study upon study informing their advice. I remember only a few years ago that it was common for athletes to suffer 'career-ending' injuries from connective tissue damage. Now it is more common than not for them to come back, and work their way back to their previous level.

I remember reading about the rehab that Meb Keflezighi ((pronounced Kef-LEZ-ghee), a US marathon runner had to go through. At one point he could not even walk IIRC, and it was assumed by many that his career was kaput. Last year he won the Boston marathon, the first US citizen to do so since 1983.

One thing I would try to do while rehabbing a leg or foot problem is to focus on upper body work. You can do things like bench presses that are done from prone or sitting position without putting stress on your foot. This will allow you to burn calories and remain active while your foot heals and rebuilds. But even there I would still consult with PT, because of potential hormone regulation issues that could impact rehab.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:31 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
If you don't do the rehab correctly, you risk chronic tendonitis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness