Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 01:47 AM

403 posts, read 597,740 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!! So I feel like a problem area of mine is my back. Well I need to work on everything but I really feel like my back is a big problem area. I have a lot of gross back fat and rolls and I'm not even that big or anything. I'm a 19 year old female, and I'm 5'7.5" and 161 pounds (as of today). I know you can't spot reduce (sadly) but I'm really trying to get a nice back! What exercises would you recommend that can help me get that beautiful toned back I've always wanted? Thanks everyone, and goodluck to all of you with fitness goals this year! With hard work and dedication we can all achieve our goals! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 02:38 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Diet

Old 01-12-2015, 07:54 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Do you go to the gym? Great exercises for the back are lat-pulldowns and pullups. I can't do pullups, but have a home gym that lets me do them at an angle (percentage of my weight) I have built up my shoulders and back nicely. Also rowing machine, pushups, any bodyweight exercises really. Back fat is hard to get rid of. I am a little taller than you and weigh a little less, I still have some but it's much better now.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2015, 08:10 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Back fat shouldn't too stubborn for you, so it's basic caloric restriction combined with exercise over a long period of time. No shortcuts, just proper diet over time.

There are some tricks to help stubborn fat move on it's way but you aren't there yet. That starts to be an issue when you are mostly lean, and the last bit just refuses to leave. For men it's lower back/love handles/lower belly. For women its hips, butt, legs. Has to do with the ratio of a2 to b2 receptors in said fat areas.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:35 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Eating less. Once you lost at least 20 lbs, the back fat will be gone, too. Promise.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:46 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewme18 View Post
Hi everyone!! So I feel like a problem area of mine is my back. Well I need to work on everything but I really feel like my back is a big problem area. I have a lot of gross back fat and rolls and I'm not even that big or anything. I'm a 19 year old female, and I'm 5'7.5" and 161 pounds (as of today). I know you can't spot reduce (sadly) but I'm really trying to get a nice back! What exercises would you recommend that can help me get that beautiful toned back I've always wanted? Thanks everyone, and goodluck to all of you with fitness goals this year! With hard work and dedication we can all achieve our goals! :-)
Do the lat pulldowns, but the kind not where you're sitting on a bench, and pull the bar down, but the kind where you're standing up on the pulldown machine, and you pull down a separate mechanical arm with each of your arms. It works with your body weight. That gets much better results, IME. Also, cut back significantly on carbs, and raise your protein intake. That will help you build lean muscle mass, which will help you trim up (in addition to the weight loss that will facilitate).

Old 01-12-2015, 06:40 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
As mentioned the main thing first is losing fat. However exercise hard in the mean time so when it's gone you have nice defined muscles under! Women with defined backs are very sexy. When I see a woman in the gym who looks fit one of the first things I look at after her arms is usually her back. Both of those take a lot of work for women (legs come much faster) do tons of wide grip pull downs, close grip rows, deadlifts or rack pulls, etc. my gf has gone from 0 pull-ups to 5 over the course of about 6 months, however it took her about a year and a half of hard lifting to get her first. (Lower body weight helps, she's 5' and 112 lbs)

Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
deadlifts and pull ups. reduce the weight on the twinkie lifts.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:38 AM

194 posts, read 425,329 times
Muscle targeted exercises don't get rid of specific fatty areas - ever.

Fat is lost only through a calorie deficit in your body and targeted exercises only strengthen/grow the muscles in that area.

Bottom line. The only thing that will get rid of fat is fewer calories, either from eating (consuming) less and/or exercising (burning) more.

It is impossible to decide where on your body the fat loss will come from.

To find specific exercises look here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Last edited by brianosaur; 01-13-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 08:33 AM

96 posts, read 91,912 times
Focus on proper diet. Green leafy vegetables, some fruits, lean meats, nuts, and drinking a lot of water will help. Lay off the sugar in drinks and food. Interval training 2-3 days a week for 15 minutes should be sufficient along with 2-3 days of weight training focusing on bent-over rows, deadlifts, one arm rows, lat-pulldowns, t-bar rows, and pull ups (assisted if you can pull your own bodyweight) should help increase muscle tone on your back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness