Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:35 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times

Advertisements

These seem to be popping up all over "Pure Barre". I went to my first class last night and mixed about how I feel. Any experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:12 AM

210 posts, read 319,058 times
Yes, about 45 classes of experience here. I just started going in October. Hadn't ever heard of Pure Barre until I moved, and walked by a studio. The first few classes will be really tough, and it's totally normal to feel mixed emotions about it. It takes awhile to really understand your form, and the sequence of small, isometric movements. Don't give up! Go to at least 4-6 classes and see how you feel. No two classes are ever the same - the warmup routine is mostly the same every day, but it changes about every three months.

Pure Barre is an amazing way to tone your body - you will see results! Most people see it in their arms, first.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:30 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
I have friends who do pure barre and they really like it. But, they are all professional dancers (ballet, ballroom, etc.) and do it IN ADDITION to their yoga, pilates, crossfit, etc.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:32 AM

It's crazy hard. I am sore today, delayed muscle soreness!!

I love the concept and the challenges. I am mixed because the class is very advanced and doesn't assist you if you are not strong to do some of the exercises. The instructors however are wonderful and helpful. They say it takes about 10 times before you really get it.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:39 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I did my first class a couple of weeks ago. I took it with a good friend of mine who've I've done reformer Pilates with in the past. There was only 2 clients, so plenty of individual attention as needed. I liked it. It seemed to be a lot about balance, and I was glad to have the bar. It was quite different than the weight lifting I currently do. And suprisingly, happily, I wasn't sore.

Funny people used to say the same thing about Pilates, that its the perfect way to tone up. That's BS. If you want to tone, you need to change your diet.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:44 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I did my first class a couple of weeks ago. I took it with a good friend of mine who've I've done reformer Pilates with in the past. There was only 2 clients, so plenty of individual attention as needed. I liked it. It seemed to be a lot about balance, and I was glad to have the bar. It was quite different than the weight lifting I currently do. And suprisingly, happily, I wasn't sore.

Funny people used to say the same thing about Pilates, that its the perfect way to tone up. That's BS. If you want to tone, you need to change your diet.
I completely agree. I see loads of people who exercise regularly; do yoga, Pilates what have you, and they still look flabby and unfit. It's all about the diet!

But on subject, I was wondering about those "barre" classes - can someone give me a couple examples of exactly what they do in there? I have never tried it - I currently do yoga, belly dancing, strength training and cycling.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:21 AM

Here is a link to the class. It is a combination of ballet, yoga, Pilates, and some weird movements. The one drawback IMO is personal attention for the first class. I have a feeling I was doing half the movements wrong and don't want to injure myself. The instructor did help with a few moves, but only so much she can do in a large class. Definitely give it a try!

Home - Pure Barre

Old 01-17-2015, 08:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I didn't like it for some reason. It just felt like I was moving the same muscle over and over and over. I'm more of a bootcamp kind of person. But it certainly is popular where I live!

There's something different for everyone.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 10,207 times
Love all the barre classes as long as my hip flexors don't get involved. Do you have to wear sticky socks at your studio?

Old 06-26-2019, 07:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
These seem to be popping up all over "Pure Barre". I went to my first class last night and mixed about how I feel. Any experiences?
my wife did barre for a while. she seemed to like it. i think she liked the instructor more than the workout. ultimately, i think it wasnt strenuous enough to get good results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness