Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:55 PM

11 posts, read 11,218 times

Advertisements

Hahah - I never thought of it before but I do.

"My Girl" - She's a cutie, but she also shows amazing consistency and dedication. Good motivation.
"Old Bastards" - The two old guys (which are probably not that much older than me) who are always tag-team hitting on her. They're consistent, I'll give you that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 03:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
There is only one person at my gym who I have heard some of the females give a nickname. This guy is over 70 and comes to the gym to take classes where he is sometimes or usually the only male. His intentions are obvious and he doesn't try to hide anything.

Some of the moms have nicknamed him "Merv the Perv."

Old 01-15-2015, 03:44 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
There is too much variance in my crowded college gym to fix names. I've seen a couple people more than once, that's it. There was this girl who always kissed her BFs humungous muscles. I don't see either of them anymore, though. They were good motivators though. The girl used to lift the same weight as me, and the guy did 3 times my weight, so they were obviously very strong.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:03 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
When I'm at the gym I'm busy doing my own thing and don't even look around that much except to scope out what machine, area, etc. is free for me to do next. No eye contact, no weird guys talking to me. I get irritated if someone or a bunch of guys are hogging a machine but I don't bother to give anybody a nickname!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:18 PM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
There is only one person at my gym who I have heard some of the females give a nickname. This guy is over 70 and comes to the gym to take classes where he is sometimes or usually the only male. His intentions are obvious and he doesn't try to hide anything.

Some of the moms have nicknamed him "Merv the Perv."
Hey---I resemble that remark! My 61 yo husband is often the only male in our classes. He honestly enjoys Zumba, step, kick boxing, water aerobics, and yoga. Not saying he never notices some of the women, but that's only a very minor reward in addition to the major one of enjoying great instruction and a higher level of fitness than he or I ever thought possible.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:24 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, I don't frequent a gym, but if I did I would definitely do this, because I do it in other situations. Like, some of my neighbors, are Speedo Man, Naked Man, and Wanda June (not her name, but she has 1950s country singer hair).
Me too! One of my neighbors is Little Debbie Snack Cakes.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:36 PM

538 posts, read 538,588 times
The "Grunter" - 'nuf said
The "Trainer" - you know, the person who gives unwanted advice to others
"No Neck" - every gym has one
"Boots" - big dude, shorts, small tank top, combat boots
"The Relic" - the nonagenerian who is there everyday. I love this guy.
"White Bread Phil" - whiter than snow, hasn't seen the sun in 30 years

And then there are those to whom I give an Italian nickname:

"Cattivo" (kaht-tee-vo) - stinky
"Chiacchierone" (gyee-gyak-ur-own) - blabber mouth or chatterbox
"Giocatore" (gyah-cah-tor-A) - the player, always trying to hit on the women
"Tartaruga" (tar-tar-uh-gah) - the guy who looks like a turtle
"Pancia" (pahn-cha) - the guy with the humongous belly

Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
I must say I'm not as creative as the rest. When working out, I pretend if I walk fast enough & far enough on the treadmill, I'll make it to Al Pacino's house!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:30 PM

498 posts, read 977,651 times
"That one guy", this guy who is huge and totally built and likes to yell like he's having a tooth pulled every time he does a rep of something. AAAAAAAARRGGHHHHHHHH! HUFF, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I'm not a gym rat though, I only go because work pays for it and I can do it on their time. He's the only person I've noticed frequently.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 PM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
The Chinese Parrots - Two Asian ladies who pedal side-by-side on the ellipticals and who Never. Stop. Talking. They chatter away nonstop in their native language loudly enough so that you can hear them even with earbuds in and music turned up.

Peter Penis - An older, bald guy about five feet tall who evidently has never heard of underwear. His winkie hangs out of the leg of his Bermuda shorts while he pedals on the recumbent bike. Because he's so small, his endowment looks even more impressive than it is. He either doesn't notice or is too senile to care.

The Jackrabbit - A younger guy who gets on a machine and then shows off by doing as many reps as possible at warp speed but with sloppy, incorrect form. He thinks he's all that and a bag of chips because he can go so fast, but he was probably a hamster in his previous life.

Miss Anorexia - A middle-aged woman with unnatural-looking dyed black hair who's extremely thin to the point of looking emaciated. She seems to live at the gym and spends as much time chatting up the male employees as she does working out.

Pokey - A 30ish overweight female who gets on the machines but takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to do anything and sits there for several minutes between reps. She is frequently watching videos or texting on her smartphone which slows her down even more and makes anyone waiting for the machine invisible to her.

The Boys Club - The group of three or four young men who use the gym as a social club. Only one of them is actually exercising. The others cluster around him and chat, while at least one of them drapes himself over a nearby vacant machine as if it were lounge furniture. Oblivious to the existence of other human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness