Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 07:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

I think Adi's explanation is perfectly clear. People want to use a machine, but some aren't assertive enough to ask if they can work in.

I don't run into issues like this with women like I do with guys. The other day I was using the leg press machine. I get off and a guy mumbles something and points to the machine. I had one more set to do, but I nodded to go ahead. Little did I realize this guy was going to sit on the machine for a full 30 minutes and do calf raises. BTW, a calf raise machine is next to the leg press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:42 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Can you clarify? Now you have me completely confused. Your OP states when you are working on your biceps people walk around and look at you, but don't ask to work in?

Do you mean women just look at you while you are working out?
Kinda seems like it. But my clothes are very modest and plain stuff, a white undershirt & Orange pants. There is nothing to stare at as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:00 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Kinda seems like it. But my clothes are very modest and plain stuff, a white undershirt & Orange pants. There is nothing to stare at as far as I'm concerned.

Adi just do the following and tell us how it goes over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXhc2C3xyhs

Old 01-15-2015, 08:08 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Well apparently there is it is strange!!

Old 01-15-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think Adi's explanation is perfectly clear. People want to use a machine, but some aren't assertive enough to ask if they can work in.

I don't run into issues like this with women like I do with guys. The other day I was using the leg press machine. I get off and a guy mumbles something and points to the machine. I had one more set to do, but I nodded to go ahead. Little did I realize this guy was going to sit on the machine for a full 30 minutes and do calf raises. BTW, a calf raise machine is next to the leg press.
Well you didn't understand. Adi wasn't on the machine

Old 01-15-2015, 08:35 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Well you didn't understand. Adi wasn't on the machine
No, what village says is the exact point I wanted to make. I am on the machine when this happens. But after I finish a set, they still just look at me, rather than ask, "could I work in". I can't read minds when my brain is processing Stress & strain equations to decipher the max effective load on my next set.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:22 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
This is one thing that particularly intrigues me at the gym. When I'm doing lats or biceps, I've often seen women constantly walk around the vicinity of that machine looking at me, but none of them ask permission to work in. Why is that ? Either go work out on another machine or ask permission. Please, don't poke around the vicinity.
I don't know. They don't like to share. The only time I don't like to share is when I've got the bar loaded up really heavy for dead-lifts or something, and I don't want to have to pull off all the weights & then add them back on again. It's much easier to adjust the weights on a machine.

My gym used to be really small also, but even after it quadrupled in size, people like to spread out & claim their own space. I always request to work in. And sometimes I will kick the young'uns out of the squat racks when they are hogging them. I think we have 6. The youngsters need to learn how to share and leave some racks open for the important people, us adults . Actually, I whine to the trainers, and they kick them out.

Just tonight towards the end of the evening, there was only 1 bench out. A guy was doing step-ups nearby. We were super-setting lunges (in his case step-ups) & 1 arm d/b rows. There was a water bottle nearby & a towel on the bench, but no one was near or touching the bench. The guy was chatting with the trainers. I jumped in & started the rows. He started talking smack (he's a friend) & claimed he was lifting...oh, he said he had just put down his towel to start the lifting. I told him since he wasn't physically in contact with the bench, it was mine. It was quite funny. He even threatened me with payback. I'm sooo scared. We were back to buds by closing time.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:24 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Little did I realize this guy was going to sit on the machine for a full 30 minutes and do calf raises. BTW, a calf raise machine is next to the leg press.
And you didn't tell him to get off so you could finish your set? I sure would have. And showed him the calf raise machine.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:54 AM

Quote:
No, I don't just sit there in between sets or after finishing my workout. If I'm not actively working out, I'm either standing or in the rest benches.
Quote:
Quote:
Then how are people walking around and not asking to work in?
Quote:
I don't know, and hence my question. I don't sit in the equipment when its not in use. I stand nearby it though.
Quote:
Can you clarify? Now you have me completely confused. Your OP states when you are working on your biceps people walk around and look at you, but don't ask to work in?

Do you mean women just look at you while you are working out?
Quote:
No, what village says is the exact point I wanted to make. I am on the machine when this happens. But after I finish a set, they still just look at me, rather than ask, "could I work in". I can't read minds when my brain is processing Stress & strain equations to decipher the max effective load on my next set.
Well hopefully you can see where I am confused You said you don't sit on the equipment when not in use, hence your question.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:03 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
No, no, not your Hooter's uniform, what you wear to the gym?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness