Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 AM

559 posts, read 1,394,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Personally I prefer not to "work in " with someone. I don't want to deal with changing the weights for every set, then feeling rushed to get through my set so the other person can then reset the weights, do their set... If someone is on a bench or machine I want use, I will work out on another piece of equipment, then return to see if the person has finished so I can get there. I see a lot of folks that do the same. Nobody should be monopolizing any piece of equipment for more than 10 -15 minutes for weight training. My gym has signs (30 minutes aerobics if someone is waiting) and no "excessive time on benches". Most folks respect that.
Same here. I don’t ask to work in with barbell exercises because of the plates the other person and I would have to remove and put back on every time we finished a set. I'll go do another exercise while they finish all their sets.
But when someone has been doing squats for 15 or 20 minutes I'll ask them how many sets they have left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
@ Himain: Why would women want to check me out when there are much sexier men out there.

Go hit on big Jimmy deadlifting 370 lb.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:25 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Not only did I have a woman work in with me today, but she didn't even ask!

I was super setting between cable flys and one arm tricep extensions on the cables. Obviously this meant doing one exercise with both cables then shifting over to one side. I did my first set of flys then started on tricep extensions. As soon as I did this woman walked up and switched out the handle I was using for the rope. Once she realized what she did she appeared to be very apologetic and always made sure to reset to my settings once she finished her sets.

No problem, though. Had she not been polite and apologetic I would have objected. But I was alternating between both sides and one side and she was able to always knock out her set when I shifted over to tricep extension so there was virtually no disruption in my workout.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:05 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
So from this, I think that demographics within the gym play a role. What is the average age of women (appx) doing weights at your gym. Over here, most are between 18 and 25.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:17 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
So from this, I think that demographics within the gym play a role. What is the average age of women (appx) doing weights at your gym. Over here, most are between 18 and 25.
The one who jumped into my workout yesterday was probably about 25. In a non-university gym, the average age varies by time of day. My wife and her workout partner refer to the "SAHM" window around midday where all the ladies are late 20s through early 40s. In the evenings when I am there, I see a lot who appear to be 25 and below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness