Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 01:42 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times

Advertisements

Where are you finding all these women that lift? Seriously? The girls at my gym are usually either the cardio bunnies, taking classes, and on occasion there will be maybe 5 girls lifting weights. I was at the gym yesterday and there was 1 girl lifting weights and maybe one more using the weight machines. All the other girls were on the cardio machines or in the aerobic class.

I wish more girls lifted.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:51 PM

743 posts, read 831,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Where are you finding all these women that lift? Seriously? The girls at my gym are usually either the cardio bunnies, taking classes, and on occasion there will be maybe 5 girls lifting weights. I was at the gym yesterday and there was 1 girl lifting weights and maybe one more using the weight machines. All the other girls were on the cardio machines or in the aerobic class.

I wish more girls lifted.
Crossfitters.

Or the ones that claim to lift on instagram or whatever but actually just do cardio, one set of leg extension and leave. The popular phrase from this fad is "I squat!!!" or "squat booty!" as they post their tiny butts online and it couldn't be more annoying. What's funny is squatting won't take a small booty and create a large one. It only adds about 10-20% max. Can't trump genetics without illegal supplements or plastic surgery.

I guess I should have titled the thread "I won't date social media fiends who jumped on the fitness fad" lol

Old 01-29-2015, 01:53 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,199,773 times
This is a bizarre thread. It honestly makes no sense to me. Granted I'm a guy who lifts a lot, and yes, it has changed me, but not in a bad way in my opinion. Sure, it increases confidence, but much of what OP talks about sounds more like other personality flaws brought out by confidence, than as a result of lifting itself.

Not everyone will turn into a self absorbed person when they get a rockin' bod. Some will, but I submit that that personality was already present, just suppressed due to lack of confidence.

I'd happily date a woman who lifts -- preferably for her own sake (health and looks), not because someone else wants her to.

In fact, I'd tend to shy away from dating someone who wasn't into some kind of fitness activity. Doesn't have to be lifting -- it could be running, biking, swimming, whatever -- but something. Fitness is big in my life, and takes a chunk of my time, so it's something I'd like whoever I am with to "get."

Old 01-29-2015, 01:57 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
They want to be admired due to their insecurity and low self esteem (coincidentally why many join the gym in the first place). I'm all for bettering yourself and I stay fit and lean all year round, but I don't go crying for attention to everyone I know and on social media. That's the part that strongly irks me.

Get back to the misc you rancid swine
lol busteddd

Old 01-29-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
This is a bizarre thread. It honestly makes no sense to me. Granted I'm a guy who lifts a lot, and yes, it has changed me, but not in a bad way in my opinion. Sure, it increases confidence, but much of what OP talks about sounds more like other personality flaws brought out by confidence, than as a result of lifting itself.

Not everyone will turn into a self absorbed person when they get a rockin' bod. Some will, but I submit that that personality was already present, just suppressed due to lack of confidence.

I'd happily date a woman who lifts -- preferably for her own sake (health and looks), not because someone else wants her to.

In fact, I'd tend to shy away from dating someone who wasn't into some kind of fitness activity. Doesn't have to be lifting -- it could be running, biking, swimming, whatever -- but something. Fitness is big in my life, and takes a chunk of my time, so it's something I'd like whoever I am with to "get."
I'm young, but old school. I find lifting to be a masculine activity. I have not seen very many women who lift but don't boast or post about it all of the time. I find such attention seeking behavior incredibly unattractive. I cringe just as much when guys do the same. I wish the fad would pass. The gym would be empty and selfie-less again.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
By all means, date who you want. But to come onto an "Exercise and Fitness" forum and say you're not going to date women who lift weight is asking to be attacked by posters on here.

Quote:
I'm young, but old school. I find lifting to be a masculine activity. I have not seen very many women who lift but don't boast or post about it all of the time. I find such attention seeking behavior incredibly unattractive. I cringe just as much when guys do the same. I wish the fad would pass. The gym would be empty and selfie-less again.
I'm old, but young at heart. I find insecure men who seek women they think they can control to be unattractive.

I predict this thread will be shut down before too long. You might want to have it moved to the Relationships forum where you'll find more malcontents happy to jump in and bash women don't know and never will.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Well young man you are very naive. Lifting is not just for men. It helps prevent osteoporosis, prevents injury, prevents muscle loss as you age. You really need to get over it.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:32 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,199,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Well young man you are very naive. Lifting is not just for men. It helps prevent osteoporosis, prevents injury, prevents muscle loss as you age. You really need to get over it.
So true!

To OP, I also don't have a problem with "social media" posts. I sometimes post on social media when I hit a new PR on a lift or some such. It isn't bragging, it's being excited about hitting a goal in something that is important to me. Anyone who knows me well, knows weight lifting and fitness are important to me, and share in my excitement.

There's a difference, OP, between being excited about something and sharing, and showing off -- whether it's a new max or finally getting your abs. I agree that constant "look at me" stuff can get annoying -- but that's not fitness related only. People do that with their kids, their meals, everything. Oversharing and being into lifting are two separate things.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
By all means, date who you want. But to come onto an "Exercise and Fitness" forum and say you're not going to date women who lift weight is asking to be attacked by posters on here.

I'm old, but young at heart. I find insecure men who seek women they think they can control to be unattractive.

I predict this thread will be shut down before too long. You might want to have it moved to the Relationships forum where you'll find more malcontents happy to jump in and bash women don't know and never will.
Sorry, not insecure. I hope it is shut down since all people can do is blindly defend their sex and be offended because I called women out for attention seeking behavior in the fitness environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It also injures a large amount of people. I understand heavy lifting is not just for men, I just don't prefer to date women who are into it.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
So true!

To OP, I also don't have a problem with "social media" posts. I sometimes post on social media when I hit a new PR on a lift or some such. It isn't bragging, it's being excited about hitting a goal in something that is important to me. Anyone who knows me well, knows weight lifting and fitness are important to me, and share in my excitement.

There's a difference, OP, between being excited about something and sharing, and showing off -- whether it's a new max or finally getting your abs. I agree that constant "look at me" stuff can get annoying -- but that's not fitness related only. People do that with their kids, their meals, everything. Oversharing and being into lifting are two separate things.
Oh yes, the ole PR posts. Gotta let everyone know you can lift that extra 10 pounds huh? I get excited when I get a raise at work, or watch a good movie, but I don't go posting about it because it's insignificant and people don't really care. They just want to be in your business so they can gossip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness