Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:08 AM

743 posts, read 832,411 times

Advertisements

Lets cover the scenarios behind why a late teens to twenties female lifts:

A) her significant other wants her to, maybe they work out together

B) attention- probably the biggest percentage. many want to be admired, and there isn't too much wrong with that except for when they state other reasons because they're too embarrassed to admit it

C) they truly want to better themselves. It's not about attention for them. They want to become better in body and mind.

here's the crappy part though and it goes back to scenario B: when a person was once obese and becomes fit, sometimes they crave attention to an extremely unhealthy degree. Social media posts daily, pics of them nearly nude for the world to see, pooching their rear out, etc. They live to get likes and comments online. It becomes their sole purpose of happiness in life. They wonder why guys only see them as a sexual object. They wonder why people like me frown upon them (I nearly dated someone like this once).

I've also witnessed too many people go from fat to fit and become a completely different person. They become full of themselves, social media makes their ego skyrocket, and some may become sexually loose because they want to embrace all of this new found affecton.

I've only seen a handful amount of women that are there because of scenario C. In my experience I would estimate them to be around 10% of females into fitness. If we narrow it down to those that don't then crave social media attention, it would be around 5%.

I'd prefer a woman that can eat decently and exercise only sometimes rather than dealing with the mess I stated above.

Yes, I know men can be the same way. I see it far too often. I'm only gearing this convo towards women because it's my sex of preference.

After writing all of this, I've noticed it all goes back to social media. If there weren't any form of it, almost none of these people would be into it. Can we please skip a generation, or can I be sent back to the 50s? I don't fit in with my age group lol

Old 01-29-2015, 07:33 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
I agree with most everything you added here, however I wouldn't discredit ALL women that lift because of it.

There are plenty of A's and B's, and it's easy to spot them. In addition, you don't have to worry about dating A's because they already have boyfriends. B's, aren't that hard to see.

C's, well, they are the ones you want..

My gf had never touched a weight in her life when we met, she was 18 and I was 23. I had lifted regularly and heavily since I was 14.

The first year we dated she hung out at home while I went to the gym. I had NO problem with it, as I always loved lifting alone and it was my "me" time. She was already short, thin, and looked good for a woman who didn't lift.

About a year into dating, she decided she wanted to start working out with me, so I started bringing her. She REALLY took a liking to it and loves it. Now, she likes it every bit as much as me. She's into the diet, lifting, everything.

It's been 2 years since we started lifting together, and we operate like a well oiled machine. We do all the same lifts and workouts and motivate each other. It's great for us as a couple, and there's no doubt she would keep lifting if we broke up. She does post the occasional picture, but it's not in like underwear or a bra or anything. Maybe something in her gym clothes with her bicep on instagram. She is a very modest girl. I had to try very hard to get her comfortable to even wear like heels/wedges, short dresses when we went out, etc. At her mom's wedding last fall I bet we had 20+ people come up to her, or even me separately, and tell me how insanely awesome her legs look. For being 5', 115 lbs, and squatting 185 for 6 perfect reps, she's built an awesome physique.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Some thoughts:

First, I've never understood the "I won't do _____." threads that come out of the blue. Why do people feel the need to spontaneously tell everyone what they won't do? Why not just go about not doing it?

Secondly, you are right about social media. It is a means by which people offer others a glimpse into their personal lives. Does anyone actually care? Some do, I guess. But we live in an age where we've elevated the worth of the individual to levels never before seen in the history of mankind. While this is generally a good thing, it does come with negative side effects, exhibition on social media being one of them.

Third, to a person who has overcome a major personal challenge like getting into shape, it is understandable why they'd want others to see what they've accomplished. Do many take it too far? Probably. But for others it stems from a legitimate sense of accomplishment. We excoriate overweight people in our society today. What's wrong with allowing those who make changes to have a little self-congratulations via social media once in a while?

Lastly, for all those "showing off" there are likely scores who are not. There a lot of women lifting/exercising who fall under category C. The trends you are noticing on social media are likely a matter of changing the people you follow and not necessarily reflective of the general public.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post

B) attention- probably the biggest percentage. many want to be admired, and there isn't too much wrong with that except for when they state other reasons because they're too embarrassed to admit it

C) they truly want to better themselves. It's not about attention for them. They want to become better in body and mind.

here's the crappy part though and it goes back to scenario B: when a person was once obese and becomes fit, sometimes they crave attention to an extremely unhealthy degree. Social media posts daily, pics of them nearly nude for the world to see, pooching their rear out, etc. They live to get likes and comments online. It becomes their sole purpose of happiness in life. They wonder why guys only see them as a sexual object. They wonder why people like me frown upon them (I nearly dated someone like this once).

I've also witnessed too many people go from fat to fit and become a completely different person. They become full of themselves, social media makes their ego skyrocket, and some may become sexually loose because they want to embrace all of this new found affecton.

I've only seen a handful amount of women that are there because of scenario C. In my experience I would estimate them to be around 10% of females into fitness. If we narrow it down to those that don't then crave social media attention, it would be around 5%.

I'd prefer a woman that can eat decently and exercise only sometimes rather than dealing with the mess I stated above.

Yes, I know men can be the same way. I see it far too often. I'm only gearing this convo towards women because it's my sex of preference.

After writing all of this, I've noticed it all goes back to social media. If there weren't any form of it, almost none of these people would be into it. Can we please skip a generation, or can I be sent back to the 50s? I don't fit in with my age group lol
I find it very ironic that a guy named JOBSEEKER is criticizing the inner motivations of why fit women strength train, then discarding some of these from his dating pool based on his (probably erroneous) assumptions

Old 01-29-2015, 07:59 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
But I thought forums like this were a form of social media?

Old 01-29-2015, 08:03 AM

564 posts, read 747,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I find it very ironic that a guy named JOBSEEKER is criticizing the inner motivations of why fit women strength train, then discarding some of these from his dating pool based on his (probably erroneous) assumptions
How is any of what he wrote ironic?

Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
I won't date a woman who takes lifting seriously

Sounds to me like you are placing more thought on what you read/see on social media than you do from real life experiences. I suggest trying to get to know a person before you jump to conclusions on what they must be like based on their lifting weights and/or posting pictures of themselves on their social media accounts for their friends.

Your "A", "B", "C" categories are flawed. A person can be all three, a combination of 2 or 3 or none of the above. These are just YOU trying to categorize and compartmentalize people without making an effort to get to know them individually. EVERYONE I know who works out regularly do it for themselves and to improve their health, fitness and maybe even partially their looks. If people didnt care about this, they probably would not be lifting "seriously" as you define it.

And how exactly are you defining "seriously"? Someone who competes? Someone who lifts on their daily visits to the gym? A crossfitter? How?

My advice to you is to NOT go around talking about what you wont do, or who you wont date because of what a person does, especially if what they do is something that is widely known to be a positive thing that promotes health, longevity and fitness.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Sounds to me like you are placing more thought on what you read/see on social media than you do from real life experiences. I suggest trying to get to know a person before you jump to conclusions on what they must be like based on their lifting weights and/or posting pictures of themselves on their social media accounts for their friends.

Your "A", "B", "C" categories are flawed. A person can be all three, a combination of 2 or 3 or none of the above. These are just YOU trying to categorize and compartmentalize people without making an effort to get to know them individually. EVERYONE I know who works out regularly do it for themselves and to improve their health, fitness and maybe even partially their looks. If people didnt care about this, they probably would not be lifting "seriously" as you define it.

My advice to you is to NOT go around talking about what you wont do, or who you wont date because of what a person does, especially if what they do is something that is widely known to be a positive thing that promotes health, longevity and fitness.
I know plenty of people who go to the gym and everyone from social media I personally know as well, because I don't befriend people on there that are strangers. I have the real life experience to base my observations from.

Why shouldn't I rule out who I won't date based from things I don't like? People who seek attention so desperately on facebook, insta, twitter, snapchat, etc. are pathetic to me. I think it's immature.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:

Did you get dumped or rejected by a girl who lifts weights? Don't worry, there are plenty of muffin tops out there for you to find somebody.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Did you get dumped or rejected by a girl who lifts weights? Don't worry, there are plenty of muffin tops out there for you to find somebody.
lol absolutely not, hence me stating I wouldn't date someone from the above scenarios in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness