Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:42 PM

30 posts, read 33,577 times

Advertisements

I've been giving a lot of thought to trying squats but I'm not sure if I should. I have read in many places that they will add muscle everywhere because of the increase in growth hormone you get from doing them. so will I end up with larger biceps just from doing them? Can I do just do less of the bicep curls to compensate?

I'm also worried about form and hurting my knees over the long term. I have read that the right shoes will help with that. This site recommends a couple different options Get The Right Squat Shoes Now, Or Your Knees Will Hate You Later based on the stance I will take. Bit I'm not sure which stance will be more comfortable for me yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I'm a squat newb who may have been reading too much online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:58 PM

I just tried to talk to my husband about this and he told me woman shouldn't squat at all. He said I should stick to leg press. I'm so furious right now!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits22 View Post
I just tried to talk to my husband about this and he told me woman shouldn't squat at all. He said I should stick to leg press. I'm so furious right now!
My wife's favorite lift is the squat. The progress she's made, it's becoming my favorite lift, too.

Definitely give them a try. Don't worry about compensating with your curls, you are not going to see a spontaneous explosion in your biceps from squats. Also, if you're worried about form, ask someone for help or pull up an online tutorial. I've posted one below. Don't be discouraged, just go try it for yourself and see if you can incorporate it into your regime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdWERbUBOc4

Old 01-29-2015, 09:07 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Simply doing squats (or any weight lifting) isn't going to make anybody bigger/muscular. You also need the right nutrition, rest, etc. Adding muscle isn't as easy as its sounds.

If you want to try squatting, then do so. Just practice safe lifting.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Simply doing squats (or any weight lifting) isn't going to make anybody bigger/muscular. You also need the right nutrition, rest, etc. Adding muscle isn't as easy as its sounds.

^^^^ this

Old 01-29-2015, 09:22 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

The more important point is the OP is a girl and lacks the necessary testosterone to really bulk up.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:27 PM

743 posts, read 832,309 times
Surely OP is trolling. There are only a million articles a google search away to disprove this illogical concern.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Surely OP is trolling. There are only a million articles a google search away to disprove this illogical concern.
You must be a friend of my husbands to call me a name I don't understand.

I found a lot of different information on it and a large portion of it made me believe I would gain muscle everywhere.

I was hoping to get the input of some ladies that do squat.

Edit: just noticed your username. You're the sexist that doesn't like woman that take their health and weight lifting seriously. Your opinion is irrelevant to me.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:47 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
You must be a friend of my husbandsaid to call me a name I don't understand.

I found a lot of different information on it and a large portion of it made me believe I would gain muscle everywhere.

[Mod cut: don't discuss other posters]

Like I said, my wife's favorite lift is squats. You are not going to suddenly gain muscle everywhere. If that were true, everyone would be doing only squats. Plus as others have pointed out, gaining muscle is a lot harder than a lot of people believe it to be, as well as other factors such as testosterone levels being lower in women, etc. Don't let the skeptics scare you away. Squats are good for you. Give them a try!

Last edited by elnina; 01-30-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 09:49 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
You must be a friend of my husbandsaid to call me a name I don't understand.

Squatting will help you build muscle and is one of the best lifts that you should be doing, but your hormones will generally prevent you from bulking up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness