Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,471 times

Advertisements

I hear & read alot about being "out of shape," but what makes someone "out of shape."

I ask this because everybody & every body is different, which we all know already.

Example: I'm 5 ft. 5i n. 168 lbs (I like to call myself thick in all the right places) & I've reviewed charts that consider me mildly obese because of my weight vs. height.
This is a crock to me.
I run weekly, about a mile a week. I do my share of situps, pushups & la dee dah.
I don't run out of breath easily & I'm pretty darn active!

Am I still out of shape just because I have a little extra meat on my bones?
What defines "out of shape?"

I feel very good!
And I look great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
The last two sentences of your post pretty much sums it all up. This is key - if you feel good and you look great then you're doing fine.

Finding an actual answer to your question will prove to be quite elusive. Especially since defining an "out of shape female" and an "out of shape male" you may have two completely different answers.

I say phooey to those charts, BMI calculators, etc. because it doesnt really take into consideration all the differences in people. You also hear a lot of boloney from magazines (Cosmo, Red Book, etc.) because they fear losing some of their targeted demographic so they tend to post things that are inflated and "overly general".

Ive seen body builders who couldnt run a mile and had a hard time finishing a beginning karate class; Ive seen grandmothers in their llate 50s do the same thing and ask for more; Ive seen so called "world class" athletes quit yoga in yoga class because it was "too tough" even though the instructor is in her 70s; so its tough to say what is and what is not considered "out of shape".

I say if you "feel good" and "look good", eat right, exercise daily, you are in shape.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,831 times
I really don't think a number on the scale is a true indicator of whether or not one is considered "out of shape". There are many people who are right at or just below their ideal weight/height ratio and are very unhealthy, starving themselves, crash dieting, etc. I do not consider someone who exercises regularly(elevating their heart rate to a safe target heart range) and eats a healthy diet, but carries a few extra pounds as being out of shape. As you stated, every 'body' is different and as long as you stay active, watch what you eat, get regular physicals, and don't let your waist to hip ratio get too out of proportion(considered more dangerous in terms of heart disease) you should be fine. If you look great, feel great, and are healthy, it shouldn't matter whether or not someone else thinks you are "out of shape".

*This question reminds me of that cholesterol commercial, where all the women are watching the older fit guy do push-ups or whatever, by the pool and then he does that very painful bellyflop. The idea being even those who look great on the outside, can actually be unhealthy on the inside. So again, over all healthy is what matters and not the number on the scale, IMO.*

Great post, DaBeez and excellent point!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,471 times
For a long time I believed that "fit" & "in shape" were the same, but now I do not find that to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness