Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I would recommend you to very gradually get in shape, take it slowly. A big part of this process is bringing structure to your eating habits...and slowly but surely make improvement to what and how much you eat.

I highly recommend a pulse-oximeter. I have been using one and it is a great feedback device.....really clues you in on how well you body is doing oxygen wise, a very important detail, especially when you are exercising.
I agree with all of the above. I picked up a pulse-ox at the local drug store for about $30. Also have a heart rate monitor with my GPS watch that I use in the hot FLA summers to monitor HR. I live in a retirement community and have seen a lot of success in people walking 2-3 miles/day.....think OP should start slow with walking and increase to jog as he loses weight. I'm having a hard time w/ diet as well, but seeing some weight loss tends to keep you from over-indulging. In the past I've done the rapid weight loss, only to see it come back on soon after. Recommend doing every thing slow - weight loss, exercise and work your way up over several months. There are a ton of success stories on Runners World's website of people being able to do it (wt loss and increasing running endurance).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Testosterone does not play a very big part in this. I also have very log T.

I was on the T shots for 2 years and put on LOTS of muscle mass.....went off the shots due to negative side effects. I have lost much of that muscle mass, but have not increased body fat.

I have cut out most of my carbs, eat more protein and exercise 7 days a week.
Like most are saying, start slow, steady pace for a min of 35-45 min....then gradually increase.
I can't train without my heart rate monitor....if nothing else it keeps me motivated monitoring my HR and calories and that makes me push a little harder.

Good luck.

Low T may take away your initiative to get out and exercise. That happened to me. I hestitantly started the gel (I'm 50+ yr old) then stopped it when I heard it may cause cardiac risks. My physician reassured me and I got back on it. I don't know if there's a placebo effect, but I do seem to have more energy to get up and do a variety of fitness activities. It feels that my weight is keeping down as well while on it.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
That level your speaking of its much exercise even for a cardio patient. I'd say get a good physical because of your age first.Not much can really be determined on heart without at least a thread mill test then going further if needed.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 PM

242 posts, read 299,235 times
Thanks everyone. No Felix- not yet. I still have an issue with following up on things. 2 days in a row 30 on the tread, 6 on the crosstrainer. That is really pretty tough! I don't want to deal with the low t yet, I started taking 25 mg dhea/ day. I feel better when I take it. I'm dealing with a smogasbord of non- health issues at the moment. My motivation is good, and seems to be improving. I'm pretty sure it is all the positive mojo everyone is sharing with me- I hope it finds its way back with interest to you-m

Old 02-24-2015, 01:48 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Depending on how low T is there are dietary routes to go and improve the Total and Free T.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:57 PM

743 posts, read 832,411 times
Your T will likely go back up once you get into better shape and tell it to work through exercise. I know a few young guys that used the low T excuse to get steroids. Their T became low because they lived a sedentary, obese lifestyle for years. Many people need something to blame that doesn't involve a fault of their own I guess.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisluvs View Post
My motivation is good, and seems to be improving. I'm pretty sure it is all the positive mojo everyone is sharing with me- I hope it finds its way back with interest to you-m
It's very easy to get "unmotivated" - I get burned-out sometimes because I tend to overdo things - guess I'm trying to make up for lost time of no exercise in the past. I find that it's pretty important to taper things sometimes and not to overtrain to a point where I hate going out on a run or doing any other form of exercise. I like to keep it where I actually look forward to it. I see too many people go on spurts and then don't do anything for months - don't think that's healthy.

Last edited by BucFan; 02-25-2015 at 04:07 AM..

Old 02-25-2015, 03:59 AM

743 posts, read 832,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
It's very easy to get "unmotivated" - I get burned-out sometimes because I tend to overdo things - guess I'm trying to make up for lost time of no exercise in the past. I find that it's pretty important to taper things sometimes and not to overtrain to a point where I hate going out on a run or doing any other form of exercise. I like to keep it where I actually look forward to it. I see too many people go on spurts and then don't do anything for months - don't think that's healty.
Motivation is temporary. Dedication and habit stays with you. The inner burning desire to be better than you currently are. The willpower to get up and go when all of the excuses are floating around your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness