Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 PM

723 posts, read 868,510 times

Advertisements

I'm 26, male if it matters. I spend a lot of my time working on computers. I do this in various places so not always with the same chair, but regardless of the chair I'm in, I'm rarely comfortable. I slouch without realising it, my back hunches over, my head arches down and forwards towards the screen automatically and this can't be good. Recently it has been aching quite a bit and when I'm up and walking around I now deliberately try to keep my back rigidly straight to try and counteract this.

So, I'm fed up with this and I think it's time to do something about it while I'm still young. But I don't know what to do - are there any appropriate exercises? Techniques to avoid a bad posture? Should I wear some sort of back brace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 10:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
I am a victim of lifelong bad posture. I am a victim of my own doing as I should have combatted it when I was younger. Now it is almost impossible.
I have had trainers give me some exercise I can do to strengthen the area of my back that slumps. I have a nice strong back now but I still slump. It is just a matter of being aware of when I am slumping and straightening up. Not as easy as it sounds.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Just been through something similar so I would recommend seeing your doctor to get physical therapy approved. The PT will work through exercises that you can do at home. This targets what needs to be strengthened.

Then you might keep with the exercises or get a trainer to work with you to target those areas.

But suggest you do not count on yourself to figure it out or jump in and do it on your own. Body mechanics are complicated.

Good luck

Also, I had a coworker who had his computer on a standing desk. Worked from standing up. it helped him

Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 AM

Location: The Netherlands, Israel, Italy, Chicagoland, Alberta Canada
99 posts, read 163,037 times
Buy The Permanent Pain Cure by Ming Chew. Don't just skim through it but really read it and do the spine stretch exercises. They are weird and very different from usual stretches. If you stick with it it will work.

You're welcome!

Old 02-16-2015, 10:49 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,545 times
At 26 you're still plenty young enough to reverse the problems without physical therapy or resulting to a back brace. You have to exercise properly 3x-4x a week, be mindful of your posture throughout the day and do daily stretching for a few minutes to help instill good habits.

Exercising, you want to do full body workouts. Something like

Day A:
goblet squats
db rows
plank
split squat
push-ups or bench press

and

Day B:
kb deadlift
lat pulldown
side plank
single leg bridge
1/2 kneeling overhead press

doing every exercise in a circuit fashion, so doing them one after another and resting as needed. These exercises are fairly simple to learn, have plenty of youtube videos showing good form and will strengthen everything so you move better and get a little bit stronger.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:25 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
I'm 26, male if it matters. I spend a lot of my time working on computers. I do this in various places so not always with the same chair, but regardless of the chair I'm in, I'm rarely comfortable. I slouch without realising it, my back hunches over, my head arches down and forwards towards the screen automatically and this can't be good. Recently it has been aching quite a bit and when I'm up and walking around I now deliberately try to keep my back rigidly straight to try and counteract this.

So, I'm fed up with this and I think it's time to do something about it while I'm still young. But I don't know what to do - are there any appropriate exercises? Techniques to avoid a bad posture? Should I wear some sort of back brace?
You can get some good tips from watching YouTube videos which address this kind of problem. Just do a search on 'how to correct bad posture' and 'posture exercises.' For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2abFgAcLc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB2uF_Yv37U

Since you say that you slouch without realizing it you might want to keep a little written note in easy view while sitting as a reminder until good posture becomes an ingrained habit. It's good that you want to do something about your posture. You're young and can head off the problems that many older people have as a result of lifelong poor posture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness