Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 06:40 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,490,093 times

Advertisements

I have been on the hunt for awhile since going to places like Planet Fitness, the Edge, and Club 24 did nothing for me. Even the ability to watch a movie while doing cardio was not appealing enough and I cannot stand cardio for such a long time to get any benefits. Add to that the numerous machines you have to rotate in and the crowd and I'll pass.

I tried Crossfit about a year ago and loved it for the 6 months I was doing it. However I hated the people there. The trainers only cared to deal with those who were in the "clique" at the gym (sorry I'm not calling it a box), and it was full of people who basically seemed to have no life outside of doing their WoDs and attending warrior dashes and other types of skills events. I was just a simple early 30's guy looking to go to the gym after work, be pushed and get my butt kicked and go home.

My brother and sister in law and a few friends and coworkers have been swearing by the 9Round gyms near me. I looked into it and after watching videos, reading, and inquiring with others I gave it a shot. What I love is that you are the only one at a station, they do not partner you up and your working against yourself and the clock. The exercises are high intensity and similar to Crossfit in their style albeit more geared toward kick boxing. Did I mention you punch and kick a lot and it's insanely fun. I won't continue into lots of detail but in summarizing, this gym hits all my points for getting back in shape. The schedule, the exercises, the trainer/motivators all fit the bill. Even the cost is on par with what I would expect to pay.

So the question needs to be asked, what is acceptable for healing time? I've been trying to go every other day but depending on how beat up I feel by the time that day comes around I still feel too sore to do any good if I worked out. So is it that bad to take an extra day here and there when your first starting? I don't want to miss out on the benefits but figured because of the type of workout I am now involved in it is a process that takes time to get into a solid routine of on/off days. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:07 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,985,789 times
Sometimes a workout can work soreness out of your body. If you're just starting out I don't think anyone is going to fault you for taking an extra day of healing time, though. If you are trying to go every other day, maybe give yourself two days to recover until your body adjusts to the new schedule. Then you can increase your attendance/participation.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:18 PM

3,559 posts, read 4,388,963 times
The previous posts are almost 5 years old. Regardless, I'm 59 years old and have worked out since my early 30's. I work out for health, not looks. For years, I've longed for an alternate gym wherein I can mix things up and do other than the usual cardio/upper bod strengthening I do at 24Hour Fitness. I joined 9Round 2 weeks ago and have since attended 2 sessions. My goodness! I love it! It's what I've longed for.

For the past 3 years, I've searched for a gym where I can practice the punching techniques I learned long ago. Unfortunately, most nearby gyms of that sort were outright boxing gyms requiring sparring. At my age, I am not about to spar with anyone. All I want is to hit something, do it right, and extract the benefit of a boxing/kickboxing workout. 9Round provides that.

BTW, the two 30 minute sessions left me utterly sore for 2+ days. At first, I was tempted to take Ibuprofen. However, each time I felt overly sore, I showered in very hot water for as long as I could stand it. Spent ~ 20 minutes in and out of very hot water. This I proceeded by turning the knob to Cold. I doused myself with freezing water for about 8 minutes. Yes! It felt amazingly good. Best yet, it diminished the soreness quickly and exponentially.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness