Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Serving pizza AT ALL at a gym is counter intuitive and tells you all you need to know about that 'gym'.
But it's ok for other gyms to sell drinks & meal bars loaded with high fructose corn syrup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 10:05 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
I joined PF for cost & 24 hour schedule. I'm leaving because I need to spend more of my off time at home caring for my wife. I've dusted off my Charles Atlas Dynamic Tension binder and have restarted those exercises at home. I was doing them 11 years ago with great results. A combination of events took me off the path. Once off, it was always hard for me to get started again. Very serious about it now. Need to be strong and healthy for my wife. PF was working for me but my wife's medical condition is getting worse and she needs me at home more often when I'm not working.

PF advertising is spot on. They go after the things novice people fear about traditional gyms and do it with humor. The serious muscle head isn't going to a PF. Their free weight equipment is too limited for a serious workout for a serious lifter. Most resistance exercises are on safe and easy to use machines. They do have a good amount of aerobic exercise machines in front of a bank of TVs which you can hear by plugging in a set of headphones to the aerobic machines. You're not going to become a Navy SEAL, Mr Olympia, or a champion athlete by working out there. But an unhealthy person can feel comfortable going there and improving their physical condition at a low price.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:30 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,829 times
Can anyone suggest a weekly workout regimen for a newbie? I'm looking to gain mass. I'm 5'11 and weight 170.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Can anyone suggest a weekly workout regimen for a newbie? I'm looking to gain mass. I'm 5'11 and weight 170.
Starting Strength and a good diet.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 AM

194 posts, read 425,474 times
These were hilarious. Yes, I actually did laugh out loud.

BANG!-BANG!-BANG!-email address?-BANG!-BANG!

And yes they do make fun of the strong. The stereotypical "lunk" strong. Do combat boots and ripped open clothes really help you obtain a great workout?

Or the 1 gallon milk jug fill with Gatorade! LOL!
Heard it MANY times that if you need to bring a friggin' ONE GALLON jug to your workout you are NOT routinely hydrating yourself adequately throughout your ENTIRE day. Don't save up your water consumption time for the gym! If you need more then a quart in a climate controlled environment - Total FAIL!

Old 02-28-2015, 03:29 PM

339 posts, read 334,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
But it's ok for other gyms to sell drinks & meal bars loaded with high fructose corn syrup?

Excellent point.

Man...I love Pizza Mondays at PF..and have many times even tweaked my running schedule so I could go there on pizza day and do a long treadmill run and then scarf down on pizza after for a free dinner.

I also dig the Bagel & cream cheese days. I think it's on first Tuesday a.m. every month. I have also been known to make sure I hit those days for some carbo loading. (I'm a skinny runner guy, so I don't have to worry about what I eat, and eat what I want. So I know some people who pride themselves on their clean diets and have weight issues are going to scoff at PF's pizza and bagels days, but I personally love it.

When I was a member of Gold's I would hit the smoothie bar a lot; they had some good ones and you could get them to customize them with whey protein or other supplements as well. But, yeah, some of them were loaded with sugar; they used concentrate for most of their fruit mixes. Plus, they cost $5 a pop, and that was several years ago. I always thought they were a bit over-priced, especially for us members. (That didn't stop me from getting one of those "buy 10 get one free" punch cards though!)

Old 03-03-2015, 08:10 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
So...have you ever even been to a Planet Fitness? Be honest, now.

I am guessing not. Because if you had in fact been to a PF you would be aware of the fact that they have every piece of equipment needed in order for someone to bulk-up and gain as much muscle mass as they wish-provided they know what they are doing. Which many guys do not. I always get a kick out of lunks who equate being loud and big and reading "MuscleHead" magazine with knowing proper resistance training techniques. As it has been my personal experience that many have zero clue. It's like the guys who think they need 200 grams of protein a day just because they are lifting a few times a week.
Honest answer: I've never set foot inside. I learned enough about the gym from their responses to other people that were mistreated at their gyms. Without Planet Fitness dignifying their stories with a stupid response, I would've thought the initial story had to be made up.

In response to the rest, I spent years training under a strength and conditioning coach. I understand several techniques and have trained enough people to lose track. I don't read fitness magazines because like most magazines, they are boring. I keep a large book of "how the world works (science)" near my crapper for reading.

I assure you that I am not a lunk. If you want more evidence, I can openly state that I'm in quite mediocre shape right now. I transitioned to different life goals and the time I spend studying and working leaves little time for attaining great shape.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:07 AM

352 posts, read 387,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ok, here's my deal.

Can I ask people out there what exactly is so wrong with a chain of gyms that caters to a certain clientele? A clientele that doesn't particularly like, among other things, to hear guys screaming and throwing and dropping weights everywhere? What about this so offends people to the point they seem to go out of their way to denigrate the concept and gym?

There are plenty of gyms out there where guys are free or relatively free to throw the weights around and scream and all. I have no problems with that. And I certainly wouldn't be dumb enough to go to one of these places and get upset because someone dropped a pair of 200 pound dumbbells from an overhead position.

If people do not like places like Planet Fitness, fine, don't go there or have anything to do with it. There are plenty of other choices for you. That doesn't mean the rest of us that enjoy the PF atmosphere are freaks, retards, or inconsiderate and ignorant boobs.

That is all.
I believe the majority of those who express displeasure do it for 2 reasons. 1. There is a PF conveniently located to where they live/work (and we know that's VERY important) and 2. PF is affordable dollar wise for them whereas other gyms are not.

But then they research, talk to others, or worse, join up, and find that the "rules" are not to their liking. So that leaves them only with the alternative of using a facility farther away (less convenient) and most likely more expensive.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
I believe the majority of those who express displeasure do it for 2 reasons. 1. There is a PF conveniently located to where they live/work (and we know that's VERY important) and 2. PF is affordable dollar wise for them whereas other gyms are not.

But then they research, talk to others, or worse, join up, and find that the "rules" are not to their liking. So that leaves them only with the alternative of using a facility farther away (less convenient) and most likely more expensive.
So in other words they gripe about it in order to justify their choices? They know it's convenient and affordable but resent the business model for not doing it the way they want when everything else is so positive. It's a. "It would be perfect if I could just bring a milk jug ,but I can't . So now I'm forced to pay more $$ and drive further away cause of their rules". The more negativity around PF the more they are assured the worth of their sacrifice.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:20 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
I like PF. It has enough machines for everyone, and no one bothers me. I have been in other gyms, and I did not like them. When it is pretty, I am not in the gym, but in the winter or when it is rainy it works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness