Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:28 PM

35,066 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

I was going to post this in the "Planet Fitness" thread but thought it would be off topic.

I generally work out by jogging. I lost my job at the end of the year, which followed parental deaths. A combination of being quite depressed about the job loss, and the bitter cold, had made me wimp out each time, even after suiting up and stretching.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:48 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Sorry to hear about your recent losses.

It's difficult to do anything (let alone exercise) when your mind isn't in the right place. Personally, whenever I have dark days, I force myself to exercise. It takes me away from all my worries; gives me time to reflect/focus (especially running)

Hardest part is waking out that front door.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:22 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Download some new music albums that pump you up and only listen to them at the gym. New music always motivates me.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 PM

35,066 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Sorry to hear about your recent losses.

It's difficult to do anything (let alone exercise) when your mind isn't in the right place. Personally, whenever I have dark days, I force myself to exercise. It takes me away from all my worries; gives me time to reflect/focus (especially running)

Couldn't agree more, across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Download some new music albums that pump you up and only listen to them at the gym. New music always motivates me.
I am big on that. I have lots of playlists on my iPhone for that purpose. But I use outdoor roads, not gyms.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
In my experience it is ok to go through a period without much exercise. But you need to tell yourself that in due time you will pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back into a groove. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:13 AM

419 posts, read 1,238,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

Yes, baby steps!

I have been in your shoes jbgusa, first of all I am sorry to hear about your loss(es.)

I have used the loss of my folks as motivation for many, many years by thinking how fortunate my parents would be if they were alive and healthy enough to be able to exercise, whereas I am healthy enough to do that, I am going to get off my butt and take full advantage of it. I also have always felt that even when the chips are down, doing anything positive for myself is a step in the right direction. Although, everyone needs downtime from time to time, I think you know deep down inside if this is one of those times for you. Good luck and I hope things take a better turn for you very soon.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:38 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Nothing as traumatic as what you have gone through, but had to deal with some serious personal issues as well a few months ago. Found that if a friend made plans and invited me to go running or hiking I couldn't back out. Plus having someone to talk to while I was out running helped. The other thing that is helping is to pick an event that I want to do, kind of forces me to get out the door to train.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:09 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
man, so sorry for your hard luck and losses of late.

Let yourself grieve some. Find the ONE THING fitness related that you really love. If that's jogging, then do that. For me, it was cycling, and then just do it.

I swear, in the months following my daddy's passing, I could hear his voice in the trees while I was riding that bicycle. Helped me a great deal. Best wishes to you.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:05 PM

743 posts, read 832,411 times
It is pretty simple. Working out will improve your mood. You don't need some grand motivation, just quit making excuses and do it. If you don't want your mood to be improved (along with health), then you are choosing to be miserable.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:23 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Don't let the "blerch" win....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness