Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,301 times

Advertisements

By lifting 10lb weights everyday, you've never given your body a stimulus to keep responding to so it get's stronger. There's no need for you to be lifting several hundred pounds, but you've long outgrown the 10lb weights. Time to move to bigger weights. What you've effectively been doing is cardio, which is fine, but it doesn't build any muscle if it's not causing your body to adapt and overcome.

The Poor Man’s Workout – If You Surf Craigslist You Can Lose Weight

Also, crunches are not a very good abdominal exercise

Your Low Back Pain Has Nothing To Do With Your Back Part 1: Why Sir Mix-A-Lot Was Right The Whole Time

Your Low Back Pain Has Nothing To Do With Your Back Part 2: True Core Training
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 07:35 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I am a woman in my late forties who does several sets of various lifts with ten lb. free weights almost daily, along with a recumbent bike set on high resistance for at least 30 minutes and abdominal crunches. Because of this, I have extremely well developed and toned muscles in my arms, legs, and abdomen (as in, rock hard when I flex them and very well defined). I'm 5'6" and currently weigh over 180 lbs. but can still wear some size medium clothing and have never worn anything larger than a size 14. I have never, ever worn anything from the "plus" department.

So my question is, how much of my weight do you think can be attributed to my muscle tone? It depresses me that I weigh this much, and I realize that some of it is excess fat that I need to get rid of, but does muscle mass really make a difference in one's weight? I have always heard that muscle is heavier than fat, but I don't know how much to attribute to each.

People tell me I don't look fat, but I still think my weight is way too high.
OP, I disagree with a lot of what everyone else is saying. Your weight is higher than what the scale says it should be. So what? Do you feel strong? Do you have a lot of energy? Does your doctor say your numbers (bp, cholesterol, blood glucose, etc) are normal? If so, then don't worry about it. Just make sure your diet is healthy most of the time. Get rid of the Mickey Ds and Cokes and replace it with more water, lean meat, fruit, and veggie (if you have a crappy diet, that is). And don't eliminate carbs entirely. That tends to cause vicious sugar cravings, and before you know it, you're binging on peanut M&Ms. Keep up the good work. I'm almost 40 and I enjoy my consistent exercise regimen as well.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I am a woman in my late forties who does several sets of various lifts with ten lb. free weights almost daily, along with a recumbent bike set on high resistance for at least 30 minutes and abdominal crunches. Because of this, I have extremely well developed and toned muscles in my arms, legs, and abdomen (as in, rock hard when I flex them and very well defined). I'm 5'6" and currently weigh over 180 lbs. but can still wear some size medium clothing and have never worn anything larger than a size 14. I have never, ever worn anything from the "plus" department.

So my question is, how much of my weight do you think can be attributed to my muscle tone? It depresses me that I weigh this much, and I realize that some of it is excess fat that I need to get rid of, but does muscle mass really make a difference in one's weight? I have always heard that muscle is heavier than fat, but I don't know how much to attribute to each.

People tell me I don't look fat, but I still think my weight is way too high.
OP, it sounds like you have reached a plateau. Your body is so used to what you are doing that it is no longer working for progression of your fitness goals. It'll work to hold you steady, but you won't make any progress. You're obviously doing something right if you have well developed muscle mass. Maybe it's time increase the weight you are using or make adjustments to your methodology.

The other thing that other posters have mentioned is your dietary habits. I'm not going to recommend changes without knowing what you're doing already. Instead what I'll say is you should create a log and track your intake for a two-week period or even 3-4 weeks. Then see if you can get a nutritionist to evaluate and make INFORMED recommendations. Making changes to your diet will result in weight loss. Making improvements to your training will better condition your muscles, which in turn burns more calories and in turn will assist with weight loss.

Be careful about specific advice you get from any internet forum, especially this one. You are best serving yourself by recording your activities and having a professional evaluate them and designing a plan that is specific to you.

Good luck with the route you choose!

Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
As I understand it, and this is from a doctor, there is a three F formula that they use: Female, Over Forty and Fat = Diabetes. I gave the o.p. benefit of the doubt because she already does way more than the average person Still, she is at risk. She should weigh 135 with all that activity. But she doesn't, so I figured something else must be the culprit. We agree. It is likely sugar and/or carb intake. I don't think more work with weights and cardio hurts. Gets you there faster than focusing on diet alone.
Type 2 diabetes has a strong hereditary component. If OP has no history of diabetes in her family, she's not that likely to get it.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Drop the carbs in the evening and do more barbell work.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:52 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to give this advice, but this is what holds the obese back. So many steps to incorporate. It seems like an insurmountable change.

It is this SIMPLE: take in less calories and you automatically lose weight. NOTHING can dispute that simple biological fact. You can eat mickey d's and taco bell every day if you want. Will it be internally healthy in the long run? Maybe not. Will you lose weight by tracking the calories? Absolutely. Cardio is only going to burn 100-300 calories for the average person. Not a significant difference. Cut your calories 500-1000 by eating less and watch the dominoes fall into place.
Weight loss isn't about calories, it's about cutting back on carbs. Not all calories are equal. Cutting down on carbs, and for women approaching, or passing 50, it's about cutting out sugar, too. When certain hormones abandon ship at mid-life, insulin plays a much greater role, due to the state of hormone imbalance the body's in. It becomes much easier to gain fat, and much harder to lose it. (Excess insulin causes fat gain/retention.) A low-carb diet works with the body's endocrine system to optimize fat loss. And it's simple, because it doesn't involve counting anything, except carb grams, if that. There are no "steps" to incorporate, other than changing the brand of bread she eats, eliminating refined carbs (which metabolize as sugar, btw, causing an insulin spike), and cutting back on carbs.

OP, be sure to change up your workout routine about every month, to avoid plateau-ing. If you start with leg exercises, move that to the end, and begin with upper-body work. The following month, start with your ab crunches. You need to trick your body into keeping up the weight-loss momentum.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-25-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-25-2015, 11:33 AM

743 posts, read 831,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Weight loss isn't about calories, it's about cutting back on carbs. Not all calories are equal. Cutting down on carbs, and for women approaching, or passing 50, it's about cutting out sugar, too. When certain hormones abandon ship at mid-life, insulin plays a much greater role, due to the state of hormone imbalance the body's in. It becomes much easier to gain fat, and much harder to lose it. (Excess insulin causes fat gain/retention.) A low-carb diet works with the body's endocrine system to optimize fat loss. And it's simple, because it doesn't involve counting anything, except carb grams, if that. There are no "steps" to incorporate, other than changing the brand of bread she eats, eliminating refined carbs (which metabolize as sugar, btw, causing an insulin spike), and cutting back on carbs.

OP, be sure to change up your workout routine about every month, to avoid plateau-ing. If you start with leg exercises, move that to the end, and begin with upper-body work. The following month, start with your ab crunches. You need to trick your body into keeping up the weight-loss momentum.
Lots of misinformation here. If you take in less calories than you burn, weight comes off. It is as simple as that.

As for the 2nd paragraph, that was proved to be a myth a long time ago. You aren't "tricking" your body into anything. Muscles don't have brains. Lift progressively heavier weights, build muscle. No pseudo science necessary. You might want to do some researching so you don't give people the wrong information anymore.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:15 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Lots of misinformation here. If you take in less calories than you burn, weight comes off. It is as simple as that.

As for the 2nd paragraph, that was proved to be a myth a long time ago. You aren't "tricking" your body into anything. Muscles don't have brains. Lift progressively heavier weights, build muscle. No pseudo science necessary. You might want to do some researching so you don't give people the wrong information anymore.
Sorry, but it's doctors and physical therapists who are providing that info to the public that you say is wrong. In fact, I got a rep note from a doctor for my posts on this thread.

Oh well.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:21 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
No, they ARE accurate. Just dont do the electrical impedance (or whatever its called) body fat test. Those are horribly inaccurate.

Find a place that does the water displacement test. Or, you can just do the ol tried and true body fat calipers test. Those are pretty accurate.
Even impedance is accurate "enough" if you're consistent with them (always use at the same time of day, etc.) The reason for the inaccuracy is that you can get up to a 5% difference with different hydration levels, or if you're sweaty, or just got out of the shower. But if you did it first thing in the morning, every week (or whatever), your results will be consistent enough to track progress.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 PM

28 posts, read 43,889 times
Quote:

I agree 100%

Everything that other poster was saying is pure broscience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness