Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 PM

100 posts, read 427,686 times

Advertisements

Hi all i'm 15 about 120 lbs and i was just wondering if any of you have tips or corrections to my workout routine. Also, any info about rest time between sets? Thanks!

ARMS:
Bench Press: 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Incline bench: 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Cable Crossover 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Curls: 3-4 sets 8-12 reps

LEGS:
Jump rope 5-10 min warm-up
Squats: 3 sets 6-10 reps
Leg extensions: 3 sets 6-10 reps
Calf raises: 3 sets 6-10 reps
Lunges: 3 sets 20-30 reps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Depends on your own strengths/weaknesses/body type/goals.

Sinc eyou are 15 I assume you go to a high school with a workout area for sports and physical fitness classes. Most PE teachers and/or coaches would love to help guide someone that wants to better themselves. They are also generally well qualifed to guide someone in this area.

Go check with one of them for the best personal (and free) advice.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Depends on your own strengths/weaknesses/body type/goals.

Sinc eyou are 15 I assume you go to a high school with a workout area for sports and physical fitness classes. Most PE teachers and/or coaches would love to help guide someone that wants to better themselves. They are also generally well qualifed to guide someone in this area.

Go check with one of them for the best personal (and free) advice.
Yeah I should probably ask my sports conditioning teacher about that, thanks Dave1215

Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Talk to your teacher or a trainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berte90 View Post
Hi all i'm 15 about 120 lbs and i was just wondering if any of you have tips or corrections to my workout routine. Also, any info about rest time between sets? Thanks!

ARMS:
You might try adding/mixing in (ask your trainer/teacher about):
-Decline bench (use a spotter)
-Bent bar tricep work on the cables
-Dips on parallel bars if you have them
-Lat pulldowns on the cables.
-Chinups (biceps, general back)
-Pullups (lats, general back)
-Superset your bench press straight-bar work with dumbells or substitute them. The need to control the dumbells will make you stronger.
-21's (biceps)
-Military press (shoulders--deltoids)

Bench presses work your chest and not really your arms. Just so you're aware of what muscle will get bigger/stronger.

Quote:
LEGS:
[/quote]

Sounds good, I generally ignore legs except for my aerobic stuff.

Remember to work specific muscle groups on one day, then give them 1-2 days off. Don't bench press every day. Maybe do bench and pulldowns one day for your chest and lats/back, then curls and dips the next day for your arms while your chest/shoulders recovers. Talk to your trainer.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:53 PM

I am looking more on upper body "chistling and carving", so I'll take your info into consideration.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:11 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,234 times
Thumbs up Start young, stay fit

Quote:
I am looking more on upper body "chistling and carving", so I'll take your info into consideration.
Don't ignore the legs!!!

I went to HS with a guy who worked his upper body into a masterpiece of chiseled muscle... but when he wore shorts, he had skinny, neglected chicken legs. It just looked out of proportion.

You don't have to do much to get legs to come around, but don't dump 100% of your time into the upper body.

Also, we are all bulletproof when we are young, but if you can work a really good stretching routine into what you do - you will be set for life, my friend. Usually, we all learn that we should have been stretching way too late in life.

Keep fitness in your life. I started working with weights when I was 12 or so (not heavy, just working out with my brothers). I never stopped. It has helped me remain pretty fit for a good many years. I hope to continue as long as my body will let me.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times
Quote:
H
ARMS:

LEGS:
Like others said, I'd throw a good tricep exercise in there (skullcrushers, pulldowns, ect) and I'd throw some shoulder and back work in there. Dumbbell press, military press, clean and jerks, quick cleans, shrugs and then for the back deadlifts and lat pulldowns.

Divide this up into three or four days with rest periods.

Chest/Triceps (bench press is chest)
Back/Biceps
Shoulders/shrugs - Pick a couple of the exercises I listed, don't do all of them.
Legs

If pressed for time, you could combine shoulders/shrugs and legs. I'd suggest picking up Arnold's "Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding". There's a ton of good info there.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 PM

46 posts, read 542,404 times
I would throw some triceps in there, as well as some good back exercises and abdominal exercises.
Abs help out balance and every day activities, and our back helps to support us.
When I workout I have three different regimes.
Chest, shoulder, triceps, abs
Biceps, back, abs
Legs (or you can incorporate legs into the other 2 days)

As far as legs, I would add in some plie squats or something to work the inner abs, as well as some fire hydrants to work the glutes and outer legs.
Without knowing your exact goals it's hard to really critique the workout.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:44 PM

thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,248 times
Quote:

ARMS:

LEGS:
It's great to see that you are fitness minded at 15.

At your age I would recommend that you concentrate on the big compound lifts: squats, dead lifts, pullups (palms facing away), barbell rows, bench, military press.

If you look at your routine everything you are doing is "Push" movements. You don't have a single "Pull" movement and I think that this is a big mistake. Balance is key in developing a physique.

When training legs Squats = Push. Dead Lifts = Pull. You should be doing both.
When training upper body Bench Press = Push. Rows = Pull.
Shoulders are Push. Pullups are Pull.

If you train the biggest muscle groups you won't even have to worry about training the smaller muscle groups such as biceps, triceps, forearms. They will grow naturally from loads of indirect training.

Some exercises you are best asking a seasoned athlete to show you so you can get form down. Squats, deads, military press, rows, etc. are to be treated with respect because bad form will spell serious injuries.

If you want to look up some movements yourself, this website has been invaluable in my training: ExRx.net Exercise & Muscle Directory As you browse through the sections you can see little videos of how the movements are to be done and the descriptions are pretty thorough.

To answer your question, since you apparently workout twice a week, the Upper/Lower split you are doing is cool.

Day 1:

Warm up
Squats 5x5
Deads 5x5
Lunges 3x8
Hyperextensions 3x8
Calf work 3x8
Stretch

Day 2:

Warm up
Pullups 5x5
Low incline DB bench 5x5
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Dips 3x8
Standing Military Press 3x10
Stretch

That should be about it for now. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness