Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 05:45 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,333,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
No, not likely at all. I love to tell myself that too when I step on the scale and get an ugly number, but it's just not true. However, the scale can sometimes be deceiving and disappointing, so measuring and/or trying on clothes is a great way to also gauge your success.
Is it because 15 days is too soon to expect the scale to register a loss? I understand about the measurements, but I really do need to lose 30 pounds, not just inches.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 05:46 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,538,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Could you define progressive improvements? Add more and more time, speed etc.?
Not trying to answer for Village, but here's my answer:
Yes, walking how you are is great for starting out, but you probably will need to increase the intensity of the walking, maybe interval training, HIIT, longer, faster, etc. Also, even if you're doing some high intensity long-time stuff, your body will get used to it, so you often have to shake things up. Also, resting is definitely a good idea, it may even help with your weight loss. You can't overdo it, everything in moderation!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 PM

10,286 posts, read 10,529,093 times
Quote:
Could you define progressive improvements? Add more and more time, speed etc.?
Progressive improvement means if you're walking on a treadmill, you need to gradually increase either the distance, speed or incline, or a combination fo all three.

If you were lifting weights, you could increase the weight as you maintain the same number of repetitions.

Your goal may be to lose 30 lbs. but don't get caught up in daily flucuations in you weight. I'm around 213 lbs. and my weight can vary by 5-6 lbs. on a daily basis.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:54 PM

Well, I'm 65, retired and can't afford a club membership. I thought the treadmill and just walking after a lifetime of not exercising would be not only a good start, but hopefully, with diet, all I would need to lose the weight and keep it off. I can and will add time and speed and can increase the incline, but I'm so out of shape, it will take a while to build up.

I started at 15 minutes at 2.5 miles and no incline and have steadily built on that. I just don't think I have it in me to to do 2 two hour workouts a day. Is there any hope for me?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Progressive improvement means if you're walking on a treadmill, you need to gradually increase either the distance, speed or incline, or a combination fo all three.

If you were lifting weights, you could increase the weight as you maintain the same number of repetitions.

Your goal may be to lose 30 lbs. but don't get caught up in daily flucuations in you weight. I'm around 213 lbs. and my weight can vary by 5-6 lbs. on a daily basis.
I am consciously NOT weighing every day. I weighed in when I started and didn't get on the scale again until today (15 days later). I was really disappointed to not have lost anything after 15 days straight.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:19 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,556,342 times
Does the thread mills give a estimate of calories burned? I believe 360 calories in a glaze donuts last I heard. If calories in equal calories burned then you maintain only. Your likely getting some cardio tho which is good. If not then without substitution you'd be gaining on same diet. There is no magic bullet; its input versus output of calories burned. Without getting into stored fat burning your not go to lose fat; other than fluids etc which varies day to day.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,769,577 times
Quote:
Well, I'm 65, retired and can't afford a club membership. I thought the treadmill and just walking after a lifetime of not exercising would be not only a good start, but hopefully, with diet, all I would need to lose the weight and keep it off. I can and will add time and speed and can increase the incline, but I'm so out of shape, it will take a while to build up.

I started at 15 minutes at 2.5 miles and no incline and have steadily built on that. I just don't think I have it in me to to do 2 two hour workouts a day. Is there any hope for me?
At 65 losing weight goes at a snails pace. You really need to start a food journal and write everything down. It all comes down to diet. If you are not burning more calories than you are taking in you will not lose weight now matter how much you exercise.
And I agree with the other poster who said you need to up the intensity. Pick up the speed and elevation every day a little at a time. Your heart rate needs to be up for 20 minutes at least.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:37 PM

378 posts, read 439,336 times
Default Be patient

Quote:
I went from absolutely no exercise to working out twice daily on a treadmill. Have worked up to 1 mile in 21 minutes twice a day. Pace is 3 miles an hour and 1.5 to 2 incline. Shouldn't I see some - even 1 or 2 pounds of weight loss by now? I'm getting a little discouraged. People told me it would start to melt off relatively soon.

I don't expect miracles, but something. Am I being too impatient? Any encouragement and success stories would be most welcome.
It is a journey. 15 days? Try 18 months.

You want to gradually increase your treadmill time to 60 mins and 8/15 incline (LifeFitness).
When you reach that milestone, you probably be doing 3.3+ miles/hour pace.

Don't look for quick fix.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,538,040 times
Why are you doing it twice a day? So you can have more exercise? To torture yourself? lol. I hope I'm able to do that at 65!

Old 03-03-2015, 06:50 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,083,663 times
Quote:
I went from absolutely no exercise to working out twice daily on a treadmill. Have worked up to 1 mile in 21 minutes twice a day. Pace is 3 miles an hour and 1.5 to 2 incline. Shouldn't I see some - even 1 or 2 pounds of weight loss by now? I'm getting a little discouraged. People told me it would start to melt off relatively soon.

I don't expect miracles, but something. Am I being too impatient? Any encouragement and success stories would be most welcome.
Start doing sprints and resting once a day for 20 minutes or so. All signs point towards shorter workouts with more intensity for weight loss and general good health. ..

3.0 is walking 20 minutes..that will do little for weight loss. Think about this ..when you get off the machine do you even break a sweat at that speed? Doubtful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness