Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:07 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times

Advertisements

I went from absolutely no exercise to working out twice daily on a treadmill. Have worked up to 1 mile in 21 minutes twice a day. Pace is 3 miles an hour and 1.5 to 2 incline. Shouldn't I see some - even 1 or 2 pounds of weight loss by now? I'm getting a little discouraged. People told me it would start to melt off relatively soon.

I don't expect miracles, but something. Am I being too impatient? Any encouragement and success stories would be most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 05:23 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
How much are you eating? You can't outwalk a bad diet. Weight loss is 80% in kitchen, 20% in gym. I've also heard that your body gains water weight or something when you first start out exercising.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Yes, I started doing the same thing about 5 weeks ago. But I stay under 1600 calories on workout days and 1200 on my days of rest. Look at your diet and calories.

I do about 3.0mph and switch from 2% incline to 5% for 20 minutes to 10% for 20 minutes then back to 5% for 10 minutes and 2% on the cool down.

So maybe look at switching up your pace as well as incline.

But you could be gaining muscle. Do your clothes feel different? Try taking your measurements once a month because sometimes the scale isn't the most accurate determination of progress.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:30 PM

I'm eating the same as I did before, low carb. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I quit smoking in November. Maybe my metabolism has slowed down so I'm not seeing results. I was doing a low carb diet before I quit smoking and had lost 13 lbs. When I quit smoking I gained 8 of them back.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Yes, I started doing the same thing about 5 weeks ago. But I stay under 1600 calories on workout days and 1200 on my days of rest. Look at your diet and calories.

I do about 3.0mph and switch from 2% incline to 5% for 20 minutes to 10% for 20 minutes then back to 5% for 10 minutes and 2% on the cool down.

So maybe look at switching up your pace as well as incline.

But you could be gaining muscle. Do your clothes feel different? Try taking your measurements once a month because sometimes the scale isn't the most accurate determination of progress.
So you are doing 50 minutes each time you workout? I also have not done any rest days. A couple days I only worked out once, but I've pretty much stuck to twice a day - a mile each time.

Clothes don't feel any different but I wear loose clothing.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I went from absolutely no exercise to working out twice daily on a treadmill. Have worked up to 1 mile in 21 minutes twice a day. Pace is 3 miles an hour and 1.5 to 2 incline. Shouldn't I see some - even 1 or 2 pounds of weight loss by now? I'm getting a little discouraged. People told me it would start to melt off relatively soon.

I don't expect miracles, but something. Am I being too impatient? Any encouragement and success stories would be most welcome.
It's great that you started an exercise program but you have a ways to go before you will see any benefit. You should think of exercise as a lifestyle modification, something that you plan to do for as long as you can.

Keep in mind that the number of calories that you burned in walking 30 miles is barely a start. You need to keep making progressive improvements in what you do or you will never see any results.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post

Clothes don't feel any different but I wear loose clothing.
Thank you for using that word correctly!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It's great that you started an exercise program but you have a ways to go before you will see any benefit. You should think of exercise as a lifestyle modification, something that you plan to do for as long as you can.

Keep in mind that the number of calories that you burned in walking 30 miles is barely a start. You need to keep making progressive improvements in what you do or you will never see any results.
Could you define progressive improvements? Add more and more time, speed etc.?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post

No, not likely at all. I love to tell myself that too when I step on the scale and get an ugly number, but it's just not true. However, the scale can sometimes be deceiving and disappointing, so measuring and/or trying on clothes is a great way to also gauge your success.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Thank you for using that word correctly!
You're welcome. It's commonly misspelled on CD and everywhere else, I presume. I see it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness