Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:46 PM

53 posts, read 66,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
Wrong.

And grossly over-stated hyperbole.

I am a PF member--and I'm the exact opposite of insecure and self-coscious. LOL--I have been an athlete my entire life. I went to college on a track scholarship. I used to be a trainer for Gold's. I am still NASM certified. Most people who know me would refer to me as an alpha dog.

And most of the members that I have seen in my three years as a PG member are very well-adjusted anddo not exhibit insecurities at all. Maybe they just like a nice quiet gym.

It's nobody's "fault." PF advertises and delivers a great product. I am guessing you have never set foot in a PF gym before. Right?

The only fault around here can probably be laid at your feet, as you are sounding-off on a subject you seem to have very little knowledge about. Go work out at PF a few times and then come back and pop-off and we will probably give your opinion a bit more credence, my friends.

Thanks!
That'd make you the exception, not the rule. It is abundantly clear who PF caters and advertises to, and it isn't someone like you. Glad you enjoy it though. And it is the individuals fault if they are self conscious or insecure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 09:54 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingButTheTruth2015 View Post
That'd make you the exception, not the rule. It is abundantly clear who PF caters and advertises to, and it isn't someone like you. Glad you enjoy it though. And it is the individuals fault if they are self conscious or insecure.
I partially get the vibes from the ads too, as if praying on the weak. It highlights the ruthlessness of the marketing world. Nothing to do with the quality of the product, but just in how companies get clients.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I partially get the vibes from the ads too, as if praying on the weak. It highlights the ruthlessness of the marketing world. Nothing to do with the quality of the product, but just in how companies get clients.
Which is totally fine in my opinion. Take advantage of the weak minded. After all, it is their own fault for feeling like a victim rather than educating and improving themselves. Same for all of the fitness multi-level-marketing products, preying on the naive and willfully ignorant.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingButTheTruth2015 View Post
Which is totally fine in my opinion. Take advantage of the weak minded. After all, it is their own fault for feeling like a victim rather than educating and improving themselves. Same for all of the fitness multi-level-marketing products, preying on the naive and willfully ignorant.
Your attitude and opinion and perhaps why they have been so successful.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Your attitude and opinion and perhaps why they have been so successful.
My attitude and opinion? As in my personal thinking made them successful, or the people I spoke of made them successful?

Old 03-09-2015, 06:15 AM

91 posts, read 92,245 times
Good ole "Planet Fatness". Bagels, Pizza, Soda, and all the Tootsie Rolls you can force into your moosh. A truly hilarious, and difficult, place to work out. I belong to one two blocks from my home...super convenient. The other day, while running on a treadmill, a middle-aged woman, on an adjoining treadmill, asked me to stop running. Appparently, she found the "loud pounding & vibration" from my running was distracting her as she squawked into her cell phone. I ignored her. She actually complained to a staffer, who, to their credit, shrugged it off. The sad part is, I know of other locations in my area that would have addressed her complaint. I get a kick out of the people who lounge on the equipment, playing with their phones, and the women who show up with an XL coffee beverage, topped with whipped cream, stretch for 15 minutes, then hop on a treadmill. Usually, I have to strain to see if they're actually moving. As for the woman on the treadmill next to me, March is moving faster than she was.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:19 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empireghost View Post
Good ole "Planet Fatness". Bagels, Pizza, Soda, and all the Tootsie Rolls you can force into your moosh. A truly hilarious, and difficult, place to work out. I belong to one two blocks from my home...super convenient. The other day, while running on a treadmill, a middle-aged woman, on an adjoining treadmill, asked me to stop running. Appparently, she found the "loud pounding & vibration" from my running was distracting her as she squawked into her cell phone. I ignored her. She actually complained to a staffer, who, to their credit, shrugged it off. The sad part is, I know of other locations in my area that would have addressed her complaint. I get a kick out of the people who lounge on the equipment, playing with their phones, and the women who show up with an XL coffee beverage, topped with whipped cream, stretch for 15 minutes, then hop on a treadmill. Usually, I have to strain to see if they're actually moving. As for the woman on the treadmill next to me, March is moving faster than she was.
So in your case you have evidence that in your local Planet Fitness's case they are what in my mind the ad portrays. Interesting.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:13 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times
More Planet Fitness threads :P. Ads are ads. Gyms are designed for different purposes. Sure, I don't like the fact PF paints anyone into heavy lifting as an ignorant meathead. I also don't like that it trades on people's insecurity. But I recognize its over the top on purpose, to make the ad memorable.

The reality is simple. PF is not a gym for heavy lifters. It's a cheap gym for people who want to do cardio and maybe some machines or light endurance work. So I simply don't go there, as someone who goes to the gym solely to lift heavy, and yes, who grunts a bit on occasion, I'm not their target market . No biggie. I'm not Curves target market either. There's plenty of gyms out there that do work for me just fine.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:11 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
The point is that they're making ... a point! Yes, it's over the top, but it's because they're driving home a message. When you do that, being subtle is a fine art which a gym, and its ads, have little need for.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
I find the ads to be hilarious. they are trying to be edgy to **** off gym snobs like most in the thread. I applaud it. and they accomplished their goal, you are all offended. whos the weak-minded one now? lol

keep up the hate. pf is part of the reason why I lost 50 pounds and can run sub-20 minute 5K's. umad?

now if you excuse me, I am going to put some tootsie rolls on my free pizza now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness