Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

I quit regular soda in early 2012. I'm 6'7", I weighed 350 lbs. I started the ween off with diet soda.

By late 2013, I was down to 270 lbs. I don't credit the weight loss to only cutting out soda, but to dietary changes as well (simply, eating less than I had before). I have "tried" regular soda since then, and it simply tastes weird now. I only drink diet soda occasionally.

For the last 8 months, I've been ping-ponging between 270-285, and I can't figure out why, but I hate it.
It sure ain't the soda.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:02 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yeah,not ONE VALID scientific study done on aspartame.

Besides,if one does not like aspartame,there are plenty of others sweeteners.

There are sodas made with Stevia,which is known to be healthy.

Zetia soda is diet soda
Ok, diet soda is very healthy. Bottoms up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:55 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
I bought some stuff the other day called Cascade Ice because I was shopping, dying of thirst, and it was on sale. It's 'Naturally flavored sparkling water with juice.' Zero calories, no sugar, sodium, gluten, or caffeine. It was delicious, and for a soda addict, it has the soda fizz.

I probably won't buy it again because I mostly drink juice & water, but for OP it could be worth a try.
Cascade Ice * Sparkling Water

Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post

I find it interesting every time I visit doctor they ask about consumption levels of soda product.
My doctor does this also...they also ask if you drink those energy drinks as well. I can see that since there are those who make a big deal about how they stop drinking soda yet they now drink Red Bull thinking that is somehow better.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Gave it up 25 years ago...

Old 03-12-2015, 11:52 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I don't care what you say, I will continue to drink Diet Coke daily. If you catch me on my death bed and it's due to this, then you can say I told you so.
Warren Buffet has been drinking 5 cokes a day for decades. He's in his 80s now.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:35 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Warren Buffet has been drinking 5 cokes a day for decades. He's in his 80s now.
Yup...and the father of a family friend just passed at 85, smoking heavily right to the end! However, these are what they call "outliers" in statistics; most people cannot expect this result.

The OP's problem stems from caffiene addiction. There may also be a sugar addiction, but definitely a caffiene addiction. Those who want to ramble on about sugar vs. diet, aspartame vs. stevia - have at it. It won't make a bit of difference if you are just feeding a caffiene addiction. Your body needs that caffiene, and does not care whether it's washed down with sugar or something else.

Keep your head in the sand, if you wish. Don't depend on becoming a statistical "outlier".

Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
The news in 2010 is what made me stop drinking soda. I was a 2 can a day drinker and now it's likely 2 cans a year (for upset stomach or heartburn):

Pancreatic Cancer Linked to Sodas?

Just two cans a week, you have are 87% more likely to get pancreatic cancer. I know of an older friend who died from it.

I had soda for decades. It's never too late to quit to make your body heal back. On airplanes I drink water. At work it's coffee or water. It's not the caffeine in soda that will kill you. The coffee is packed with antioxidants:

The Buzz on Coffee

As for water, I know I never drink enough. But have a chronic back problem that might happen for 2 days a year. Found out that it goes away when I rehydrate with plenty of water.

Go beyond and look at sugar per se. Added sugar saps your energy and the carbs cause you to get drowsy mid-day. Knowing this, instead of a scone or muffin at breakfast I usually eat oatmeal with grapefruit. I quit adding sugar to coffee. Last year I even dropped my amount of added sugar to 1 gram a day and kept that going for six months. It did give me more energy and i lost body fat - kept working out to not lose muscle.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:06 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I quit regular soda in early 2012. I'm 6'7", I weighed 350 lbs. I started the ween off with diet soda.

By late 2013, I was down to 270 lbs. I don't credit the weight loss to only cutting out soda, but to dietary changes as well (simply, eating less than I had before). I have "tried" regular soda since then, and it simply tastes weird now. I only drink diet soda occasionally.

For the last 8 months, I've been ping-ponging between 270-285, and I can't figure out why, but I hate it.
It sure ain't the soda.
I had the same result when I quit soda in 2012. I quit the soda, got a gym membership, and laid off the junk food 5 days a week.

I was shredding 2-3 pounds a week and lost about 50 pounds in 5 months. I don't even miss soda, and the diet sodas taste like ass. the only reason I drank it to begin with was that when mixed with rum, it got you drunk faster.

I don't have heartburn anymore either. I used to keep a roll of tums by my bedside every night. I am also more energetic throughout the day because I either drink coffee, tea, or water.

to the OP, If you need something with carbonation, switch to beer. it's better for you.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:08 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
There are no real problems associated with drinking diet soda. NONE. There is a lot of gibberish from those who pretend to know, those who look for the bad/surprising in everything, but there are no scientific facts that prove it is bad for 99%+ of the population. Instead, there are over 200 real science studies that say it is fine. So drink diet soda! Your body appears to be needing a lot of hydration, and your diet soda is just like drinking water, in terms of nutrition.

Here are a couple of facts about diet sodas that many people misinterpret. One is about aspartame, the other about the bubbles.

Aspartame, which is one of the diet sweeteners, is essentially two normal amino acids linked together and your tongue thinks it is sweet even though there is no sugar in it. When it is digested by you, one of those amino acids is a potential problem for people with a rare genetic defect, so those people are warned. You would already know if you had that defect, pku, since babies are screened for it.

The only other potential issue is that all soda has bubbles in it, so if you slug it down super fast and your body can't get rid of all the bubbles, you might become gassy. But that also varies between people and it not a health problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness