Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:33 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,202 times

Advertisements

I drastically reduced the amount of sodas I drink since last summer. I could go for weeks without drinking one.

I knew someone in college who had to seek professional help from drinking sodas. I haven't read all the other posts, but in case you haven't or others haven't suggested, maybe you seek professional help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:46 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,168,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Likely they are outliers. But let's take a look at the general population. In America, probably most people drink sodas semi-regularly and do it for years and years, if not most of their lives. But the life expectancy is 75yo and most people are of average health until they die, so it's highly unlikely that soft drinks in moderation are directly responsible for any serious illness. Also remember the U.S. has pretty strict regulations for food. Things that are added to food are first tested in the lab in much greater concentrations on lab mice.
The risk here is that sodas could contribute to something like obesity or diabetes. If one becomes obese or diabetic, they are not in "average health" until they die, and their life expectancy is not 75 years.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:29 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I
What kind of health problems will i see from continuing drinking soda?
Soda including sparkling cider is full of phosphorous. Phosphorous is a destroyer of bone. It's a silent problem until you go past 50 and get your first bone scan for osteoporosis and find out too late you have porous fragile bones.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:55 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Soda including sparkling cider is full of phosphorous. Phosphorous is a destroyer of bone. It's a silent problem until you go past 50 and get your first bone scan for osteoporosis and find out too late you have porous fragile bones.
Not if you grew up drinking a lot of milk too.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:24 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
Yep, same situation here. Just guzzling the stuff, even though it's giving me reflux and effecting my skin by causing it to be itchy and scaly.

I'm stopping right now. That's it. It's over.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I am a male, age 21, weight 170 pounds and i am 6 feet tall.

I have tried maybe 4 or 5 times to quit drinking soda but of course have failed every time.

The thing is is that it is so good, i love everything about it... i have been drinking Sprite since a very young age (like 5 or 6 i think) i am now 21 and it is just getting worse and worse, when i was like 15 i have been drinking little to no sprite and nothing but coke... just recently (past few years) it has been getting very bad... some days i will go through whole 12 packs of Coke.

The last time i quit i was really close to succeeding, i had a whole fridge full of pop and didnt have any temptations what so ever, i just drunk water, milk and tea... however at McDonalds i saw a guy with a cup of coke, the cup was slightly overfilled so you could see the bubbles sizzling up through the straw hole and it just looked like the most amazing thing on earth...... i said screw it i'm getting a coke and now i can't stop again.

What i need are some things to motivate me so i'll ask some questions.

What kind of health problems will i see from continuing drinking soda?

What kind of health benefits will i see from quitting soda?

How long until after you quit will you notice weight loss (i'm still pretty skinny but i do kind of have a chunky stomach)
My personal experience is as follows. I always drank a lot of Pepsi and Mountain Dew (with caffeine and sugar) starting in the 1960s up until about a year and a half ago. I never felt I was addicted to it, but just enjoyed it. I spent 13 months in Minneapolis in the late 80s and started drinking flavored seltzer water with no artificial sweetner. This was very popular in the Twin Cities at the time. I got turned off to anything sweet. When I came back to Pittsburgh, it was difficult to find this type of seltzer water so I reverted back to Pepsi/Mountian Dew.

I'm 60 and have never been overweight. Anytime I though I was gaining an inch in the waist, I would drop or cut back on the Pepsi/Mountain Dew from my diet. I have exercised extensively since 1994.

About a year and a half ago, I noticed my weight and waist size were creeping up so. I also noticed a lot of articles talking about all the evils of drinking any kind of soda. I decided to mostly eliminate it from my diet. Some knee and back issues are also reducing my exercise program especially the running.

After 18 months of drinking only a handful of cans of soda, the changes in my body are negligible. It has not caused me to lose anything from my waist. My waiste has been around 35" for over 30 years. It is currently 36" and that is what caused me to drop the soda. I haven't been able to get back to 35" or 34", which is my goal. I don't feel any changes or improvements in my health. Nothing has really changed since dropping the Pepsi/Mountain Dew. I'll likley continue to avoid and type of soda, since I think it healthier but I have no solid evidence other then the studies I have read. My goal is to drink more of the home brewed ice tea that I drink with a tiny bit of sugar.

To the OP, it doesn't appear that you are overweight. My suggestion is to monitor your health closely. A whole 12 packs of Coke a day might be excessive. Exercise and watch your waist. As you age, have things like your cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure monitored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
Actually I believe it is the phosphoric acid that is used in the carbonation process that is the culprit for preventing calcium uptake in your bones. And also makes it pass out of your urinary track. (And, to a lesser extent, the sodium carbonate as well.) I drink maybe 4-5 of the 20 oz. Diet Dr. Peppers a week, which is part of the reason I take Calcium/Vitamin D3 supplements.

Is WebMD a "scientific" enough source for ya?

OTC and Prescription Drug Abuse Slideshow: Pictures of Commonly Abused Drugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I haven't checked all the vendors' sites but it appears that only colas have phosphorus. Here is a link to Pepsico's site for Mountain Dew and as you can see, it has no phosphorus. Official Site for PepsiCo Beverage Information | Product

After drinking Pepsi and Mountain Dew for over 50 years, I'm sure my bones are healthier than most people's bones. I would attribute it to plenty of weight bearing exercise including running and weightlifting, plus a relatively healthy diet.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Not if you grew up drinking a lot of milk too.
Do you still drink a lot of milk? Drinking a lot of milk as a youth doesn't protect you from calcium-draining things like soft drinks that are consumed in adulthood.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Do you still drink a lot of milk? Drinking a lot of milk as a youth doesn't protect you from calcium-draining things like soft drinks that are consumed in adulthood.
Actually it does because it gives you a bigger base to work with (larger bone mass). But yeah, I still drink milk.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
The risk here is that sodas could contribute to something like obesity or diabetes.
Depends on how many sodas you drink together with other factors like: what does the rest of your diet look like, how much exercise you get, genetically how predisposed are you to diabetes or obesity. Most people who drink a soda a day aren't going to get diabetes just because they're drinking a soda a day.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Depends on how many sodas you drink together with other factors like: what does the rest of your diet look like, how much exercise you get, genetically how predisposed are you to diabetes or obesity. Most people who drink a soda a day aren't going to get diabetes just because they're drinking a soda a day.
That could be said for every single food, which is why I said sodas could contribute....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness