Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:52 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,945 times

Advertisements

Too much too heavy weightlifting or long distance running can become detrimental to one's health.
Much attention must be taken of this particularly as we age even in lifelong weightlifters.
The body must catch-up and regain and recover it's health after brutal training sessions. Waste in the bloodstream must be purged and cleansed. Hydration and Proper nutrition and rest speeds up the process.
There comes a point of diminishing returns as far as how far to take training. Lift sensibly not heroically.
Tendons and ligaments can break, muscles can be torn and strained. Health can be compromised. I do not think for one instant about not training it is a matter of a fine line, between too much , too little and what is just right.
Some of us are far more gifted genetically in this area. Athletes may be made- but a certain amount of talent we are simply born with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 07:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
ANY good distance runner will be able to do so. In high school I ran a 4:41 mile my senior year at the Colorado State T&F Meet. We were at an elevation of over 6,000 feet. A 4:41 got me 11th place. I'm 34 now and have had two knee surgeries and a series of severe ankle injuries. I don't run nearly as much as I used to. Still I can pull a 3 mile run in under 20 minutes, and if you told me to go 1 mile as fast as I can I'm confident I'd be under 6.
You've pretty much proven the point of the article. Too much activity is bad long term to ones' health.

Everything in moderation.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:19 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You've pretty much proven the point of the article. Too much activity is bad long term to ones' health.

Everything in moderation.
Not really. If they had been "wear and tear" injuries then maybe so. But the ankle injuries were from a softball game and after that two bad landings on a couple trail runs. These three injuries were spread out from July-Sept of 2013. The knee surgeries came about as a result of tearing my meniscus while moving and running up and down stairs with boxes and such. The first surgery didn't fully correct the issue, the second doesn't seem to have either. However neither surgery nor the ankle injuries came from doing TOO MUCH running.

Of course too much of anything can lead to injuries, but my example most certainly does not prove the article's point.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
True, a lot of mothers of dead marines came together to stop this at Marine boot.

However, this isn't directly related to cardiovascular issues from strenuous work. The heart is a muscle, and the coronary arteries supply oxygen, when there is a blockage in the arteries the heart does not get the oxygen, thus leading to heart attacks and possible deaths. If you workout to the point that you can not longer supply your heart with oxygen then you can die.
That and undetected heart conditions in younger people often fro birth. Not everyone is born normal in many ways. Often pushing it has with any other condition causes the death. Why one dies and other don't at same age.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:08 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
If one's goal is simply health rather than something performance related, I think there is a lot of current research that indicates moderate exercise at a moderate intensity a few times a week is ideal, or at least sufficient.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:51 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
I say there's nothing wrong with going through a strenuous workout regimen to quickly get one back in shape, so as long as said individual has no underlining health issues or injuries that would prevent him/her from working out. And then once said individual has reached a "shape" that he/she is happy with, then cut back to an exercise routine that helps to maintain what you've accomplished.

This is where I usually goof myself up at. I don't mind working hard to get myself in shape. Once I get to a place where I am happy with, you'd think it would be easy just to do whatever needs to be done to maintain, but this is where I tend to mess up. I get too "comfortable" with simply doing enough to maintain, and then my intensity and time spent starts to taper off. Before long, I'm not working out at all.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:04 PM

12 posts, read 19,627 times
It's all about listening to your body. If you need a rest day, take it. The intensity of a work out is a variable that changes per individual. The body is very adaptable but it takes time to adapt. You need to give it time and train at your own pace.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snnmiguel View Post
It's all about listening to your body. If you need a rest day, take it. The intensity of a work out is a variable that changes per individual. The body is very adaptable but it takes time to adapt. You need to give it time and train at your own pace.
This is what I'm finding out about myself as well. There are times where I have to take an extra day to rest my body - where as in the past, I could keep hitting it hard 5 or 6 days a week. Getting older sucks, lol!

Old 04-02-2015, 01:44 AM

151 posts, read 162,103 times
I think if you do TOO much in a day, everyday, yes it's bad.

You should do at least 20-30 minutes on 1 thing & just 20-30 on another on 1 day. I think 1 hour is enough for a day. And no more than 5 times a week (3-5 days a week). Your body does need to rest & recover for a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness