Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:56 PM

5,920 posts, read 6,420,871 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised someone hasn't posted a thread about ab routines, or maybe they have and I'm too lazy to search (possibly true!)

Just wondering. For you all who have the washboard, six-pack abs going, how often do you train your abs? Everyday? Every other day? 3 days a week? 2? What does your ab routine consist of, and how long does your routine take to complete?

I usually do the P90X Ab-Ripper X. I've gotten pretty good results from this workout in the past - in addition to the core workouts that you do during the "in between" weeks with P90X. But I'm always looking for a variety of different ab routines to try - even though I'm sure there's only so many ways to train abs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:07 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,948,188 times
I do some ab workouts either in between sets of other muscle groups or at the end of a workout will take a few minutes for planks, crunches, leg raises, etc. But mainly the bulk of my ab work comes in the form of compound lifts. For example, deadlifts and straight leg deadlifts get my entire core going way more so than any of the dedicated ab work I do. I also do standing dumbbell flies, and if you don't get your core into those you'll literally fall over doing them. I try to get my core into every lift I do. I don't think dedicated ab work is a "waste of time" like you'll hear some people say. Conditioning muscles is never a waste of time. Besides, it takes less than 10 minutes at the end of a workout for me to get a complete ab workout in. But generally my ab/core work is spread throughout my workout.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:20 PM

4,535 posts, read 5,347,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I'm surprised someone hasn't posted a thread about ab routines, or maybe they have and I'm too lazy to search (possibly true!)

Just wondering. For you all who have the washboard, six-pack abs going, how often do you train your abs? Everyday? Every other day? 3 days a week? 2? What does your ab routine consist of, and how long does your routine take to complete?

I usually do the P90X Ab-Ripper X. I've gotten pretty good results from this workout in the past - in addition to the core workouts that you do during the "in between" weeks with P90X. But I'm always looking for a variety of different ab routines to try - even though I'm sure there's only so many ways to train abs!
Good thread topic. It is odd that there hasnt been any threads on abs. Probably because most people dont want to do what it takes to get/develop abs. It is NOT easy.

What I have found with abs, is that you almost have to have a very specific routine/program for them. What I found in this book is the best I have seen so far:
The Complete Book of Abs: Revised and Expanded Edition: Kurt Brungardt, Brett Brungardt: 9780375751431: Amazon.com: Books This is great for people just starting out until the develop their own routine. I highly recommend it.

I work my abs at least 5 days a week. More than that if/when they are worked via other exercises I do that involves working the abs like martial arts practice, yoga, mountain climbers, etc. I usually do a tabata of situps, or some mix of other types of ab work like "V" ups, straight leg lifts, leg flutters, Russian twists, etc.

What I have personally found that really helped me get and maintain visible abs are:

1. Early morning empty stomach cardio.
2. Adding in HIIT a few times per week.
3. Being steadfast in eating nothing but clean/healthy food. Little to no sugar/sweets. Although I drink about a 6 pack of beer over the course of a week along with maybe two bottles of cabernet a month, I maintain well defined abs.
4. Consistency.

This totally works for me and always have. Its why I say b.s. when I hear people say "You cannot spot reduce on your stomach....". I gain bodyfat on my stomach first, and when I work out, my stomach is where I lose the fat FIRST!! People want to "spot reduce" the fat on their stomachs and saddle bags? Do what I mentioned above and they WILL reduce in those areas.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:39 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,266,880 times
Not to toot my own horn , But I'm rocking a ripped 3D 6pack

Abs is absolutely my favorite gym workout. I work it out every 4 days. Every routine is weighted as heavy as I can go; cable crunches, hanging weighted knee lifts, decline situps/Russian twists, standing ab roll outs--just to name a few. I need 4 days to recover, because I hit my core super hard for 90 mins. I'm also an avid runner and eat ultra healthy; which keeps my body fat really low.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:04 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,889,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Not to toot my own horn , But I'm rocking a ripped 3D 6pack

Abs is absolutely my favorite gym workout. I work it out every 4 days. Every routine is weighted as heavy as I can go; cable crunches, hanging weighted knee lifts, decline situps/Russian twists, standing ab roll outs--just to name a few. I need 4 days to recover, because I hit my core super hard for 90 mins. I'm also an avid runner and eat ultra healthy; which keeps my body fat really low.
Great points, hawaiian. I don't have ripped abs, but I don't have a pooch anymore because I work out a lot. One mistake people often make is relying too heavily on crunches, which aren't very effective, and not taking care of their diet. Full body moves like hawaiian does are the best ones to help your abs. Also, cardio gets rid of the fat layer over the abs. Do the resistance to build the muscle. And eat clean to keep them looking good. Burpees are my go-to exercise. Planks are good too, and there are a lot of variations to those. And there's always the classic push-up, which works tons of muscles, including your abs. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:09 AM

19 posts, read 17,473 times
I workout 7 days in a week and every day I work on a different group of muscles. So, twice per week abs, however I workout from 50-60 minutes. Also, I am careful with my eating plan because without that you will not have good abs. And yes, I do have 6pack

Old 04-27-2015, 10:41 AM

So, would you guys say that core workouts help to reduce the size of the waistline, while ab workouts focuses on the definition?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:21 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,948,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
So, would you guys say that core workouts help to reduce the size of the waistline, while ab workouts focuses on the definition?
I'd say diet works on reducing the size of the waistline more than anything. Core and ab workouts condition muscle beneath the fat layer, but diet is what really makes that fat layer smaller.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I'd say diet works on reducing the size of the waistline more than anything. Core and ab workouts condition muscle beneath the fat layer, but diet is what really makes that fat layer smaller.
Diet definitely does, I agree with that. But, I've always found it to be a joint venture. I have such a weird body type, that I struggle with trying to balance between weighing low enough to have a nice looking waistline and having good size and muscle tone in my arms, chest, and legs. I always found it difficult to get the look I wanted with my arms, chest, and legs when my weight was at its lowest. Easy to get a great looking stomach, but I just looked like a weakling. On the flip side, having more weight to work with, I can build my shoulders, arms, chest, and legs up pretty quickly, and it seems like I get better looking muscle tone much faster, but then it's a chore in getting my abs to look the way I want.

So, it's kind of a balance for me. Think of someone like Stone Cold Steve Austin. Now, I'm nowhere near having that much muscle on me, but even though that dude has always look stacked throughout his wrestling career, and even though you could see muscle definition in his stomach area, he was never what i considered having ripped abs. He's always had a layer of fat on his stomach, but not to the point where it made him look fat, if that makes any sense. That's where I'd be fine with. Having some muscle tone, but realizing that with my body style, I'd be OK with some fat on stomach as long as their was some muscle definition and enough of a chest to abs proportion to where I don't look like I have a gut. I hope all that made some sort of sense.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:17 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,992,862 times
The old adage that abs are made in the kitchen and not the gym is one of the few universal truths of fitness. Beyond that, you'd train abs just like you'd train any other muscle group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness