Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

Feeling disappointed can't run without stopping past a mile. I am probably still thinking I am in shape as I was two year's ago. Went from 160 to 240. Right now I am 215 think I just dipped below 215!

Been running off and on over past year. Did two month's of running back in August of last year and December of last year. The weather and just not seeing progress I stopped. Used to running 10-15 miles a day. Comfortably running a 20 minute 5k. I was training for a 50K. Now can't get past a mile.

Utilizing the warm weather of late spring and summer to motivate myself back into running. I been running for four week's and on week four this week. I run five day's a week. I just been able to run 1.5 last week.

Basically my weeks been looking as such:

.25 .5 .5 .25 .75
.5 .5 .25 1 mile 1 mile
1 mile 1 mile .5 1.5 1.5mile
1mile 1 mile so far

I am going to start up at the gym in a few weeks. I hike a lot on day's off and walk a lot at work. I might start using my stationary bike on a day not running.

I plan to run a 5K end of May start of June seem doable? Going for 32 to 35 minute 5K. Running 10 minutes a mile right now. After a mile I take a 2 minute break then run again.

From there I plan to run a 25 5K by September, seem a but unrealistic?

Will try to do a few 10Ks in the fall. Then plan for a spring half marathon and maybe 2 summer half marathons with last one with the goal to break under 1:50. Then fall of 2017 run a marathon a bit to eager.

Appreciate any feedback or advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 02:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
That is a big drop off. How old are you and how tall? How did you go from 160 to 240 in two years?

Based on my experience with layoffs and getting back into running, you are making slow progress, especially for someone who has run a 20 minute 5K.

My weight has ranged from around 205 to about 225 over the past 5 years. I'm also currently 215. I was neverr able to break 21 minutes for a 5K. When I get back into running, I usually start at two miles for a couple weeks, run 3 miles a few times, before increasing it to 4 miles. It usually takes me a month to get back to running 6 miles.

My suggestions are to focus on amount of time running for now. Shoot for 20 minutes and then increase it 1-2 minutes per run. Avoid hills for now. You might try not running consecutive days and see if your legs feel more refreshed. I think your biggest problem is your body has not adjusted to carrying the additional weight.

I think with dropping some more weight, you should have no problem breaking 25 for a 5K before September.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:23 AM

403 posts, read 681,438 times
Something fishy here. You don't go from being a "20 minute 5k" runner and, supposedly, training for a 50k just a few months ago, to not being able to complete a mile. Unless maybe there is some sort of serious illness or disorder involved. This person gets to a point where they are training for an ultra, and now they can't get a mile or so? A lot of things here don't add up.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:14 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
Something fishy here. You don't go from being a "20 minute 5k" runner and, supposedly, training for a 50k just a few months ago, to not being able to complete a mile. Unless maybe there is some sort of serious illness or disorder involved. This person gets to a point where they are training for an ultra, and now they can't get a mile or so? A lot of things here don't add up.
I agree. After running 3-5 miles everyday for four years, I stopped running altogether for around 2 years and when I started doing it again I could easily run at least 4-5 miles without stopping (albeit at a slower pace).

Old 04-28-2015, 08:34 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
I agree with this, or at least see it from this perspective.

Two years ago I ran a 5k in 21.23 (at 53 years old). I didn't run that much, but just fit from things like spinning, various Beachbody DVD's like P90X, elliptical, dumbbell work (at home with Power Blocks).

Last April I ruptured my Achilles jumping rope and had surgery. I just started training for a sprint triathlon to run with my daughter in August. Granted, throughout the past year I still worked out and kept my weight around 160 the whole time. But no running, and since most of the training was weights, my endurance and cardio were shot in comparison. Did a training run the other day and ran 5k is a little over 27 minutes.

Normal drop offs from my own experience and knowing a few other people of various ages who run can be big after inactivity, but the first time I ran after the surgery a year later, I ran 5k training run in 31 minutes. To me that's a large drop off and I could feel it in the lungs. I had to stop and walk a few times, and made up time with some short sprints.

What you explain just seems way too much of a drop off IMHO, especially given your history of running. I have zero history in running. I've only run 3 competitive races in my life, and all at over the age of 50. The 5k, a 5 mile, and a Spartan Sprint at Fenway Park. Ran the 5 mile in 40:18, and placed 334 out of 3,200 at the Spartan Sprint placing 4th in my age division.

I'm just giving you my times as a benchmark to look at yourself, given my age and running experience. I've been working out regularly for 28 years so I've been fit for my age.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:34 AM

Maybe it could be a mental wall? I really do feel out of shape and difficulty recovering quickly. The biggest thing is being out of breath so quickly.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:00 AM

403 posts, read 681,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Maybe it could be a mental wall? I really do feel out of shape and difficulty recovering quickly. The biggest thing is being out of breath so quickly.
When is the last time you've had a physical? Not to be alarmist, but if you believe something to be out of the norm, or more difficult than just being out of shape would explain, then it may be a good time to visit a doctor.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 AM

Probably 2 year's ago. I mean I had quick work physicals. I was on medication a year ago that caused me to gain weight, but off of it. That's when I put on the weight that got me up to 240. I am slowly loosing the weight the right way. I mean I dropped one summer from 220 to 140, but that was miserable. Just finished a 1.5 run. Took two walk breaks one up hill for 2 minutes and a 30 second break.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I agree. After running 3-5 miles everyday for four years, I stopped running altogether for around 2 years and when I started doing it again I could easily run at least 4-5 miles without stopping (albeit at a slower pace).
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I agree with this, or at least see it from this perspective.

Two years ago I ran a 5k in 21.23 (at 53 years old). I didn't run that much, but just fit from things like spinning, various Beachbody DVD's like P90X, elliptical, dumbbell work (at home with Power Blocks).

Last April I ruptured my Achilles jumping rope and had surgery. I just started training for a sprint triathlon to run with my daughter in August. Granted, throughout the past year I still worked out and kept my weight around 160 the whole time. But no running, and since most of the training was weights, my endurance and cardio were shot in comparison. Did a training run the other day and ran 5k is a little over 27 minutes.

Normal drop offs from my own experience and knowing a few other people of various ages who run can be big after inactivity, but the first time I ran after the surgery a year later, I ran 5k training run in 31 minutes. To me that's a large drop off and I could feel it in the lungs. I had to stop and walk a few times, and made up time with some short sprints.

What you explain just seems way too much of a drop off IMHO, especially given your history of running. I have zero history in running. I've only run 3 competitive races in my life, and all at over the age of 50. The 5k, a 5 mile, and a Spartan Sprint at Fenway Park. Ran the 5 mile in 40:18, and placed 334 out of 3,200 at the Spartan Sprint placing 4th in my age division.

I'm just giving you my times as a benchmark to look at yourself, given my age and running experience. I've been working out regularly for 28 years so I've been fit for my age.
The two issues you haven't taken into consideration are the weight gain and how sedentary the person is during the layoff. I once had a herniated disk and could not do any exercise for two and a half months. It was extremely difficult to get back into it and I had not gained much weight. I couldn't run very far so I started running twice a day to make up for the short runs.

Going from 160 lbs. to 240 lbs. is a huge increase. None of you mentioned anything close to this. It points to another issue such as a prescription drug. A sudden weight increase like this would be difficult for your body to adjust to.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:00 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The two issues you haven't taken into consideration are the weight gain and how sedentary the person is during the layoff. I once had a herniated disk and could not do any exercise for two and a half months. It was extremely difficult to get back into it and I had not gained much weight. I couldn't run very far so I started running twice a day to make up for the short runs.

Going from 160 lbs. to 240 lbs. is a huge increase. None of you mentioned anything close to this. It points to another issue such as a prescription drug. A sudden weight increase like this would be difficult for your body to adjust to.
A very important point you make are prescription drugs. I have seen first hand them reeking havoc on the body.

Regardless of not mentioning in my post the weight gain, I alluded to stating there is an issue at hand period. Diagnosing the issue and pointing out the weight would just add to my concern there is a deeper issue here.

Everyone heals differently, so comparison to others is difficult. Simply put, OP should see a doctor to dig into any potential issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness