Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:43 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,250,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebox View Post
The "it" is "attraction from women".
Uhm...women HAVE to be attracted to the "dad bod" because that's about as good as it gets for them! Men think women let themselves go...

Most guys don't take care of themselves at all so after the age of 30 when metabolism slows down the "dad bod" hits, whether they have kids or not. It's unusual to find a guy without at least some gut, much less anything approaching a six pack. Most women have to settle and hope they have some compensating good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:14 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,398,815 times
I still find older men over 50+ sexier than ANYTHING in the entire world, and most of them aren't big muscular men anymore.

They know how to turn me on... has nothing to do with body shape. It's that subtle chemistry that older men just *know* how to work.

You know what I'm talking about. Anticipation. They've flirted enough in their lifetime to know how to plant seeds of desire in a woman and slowly cultivate them.. it's erotic beyond belief. Skip the gym, work on your charisma. Swear to you it'll take you anywhere you want to go.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:05 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,891,961 times
A. I would never use that ridiculous terminology. It sounds as stupid as the term "baby bump." B. It is NOT cool to have a body that is "thick." Changing the term to make it sound nicer doesn't make being fat attractive or healthy. Sorry, PC police.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:05 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,141,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebox View Post
Like working out, lifting? Why lift when its about the face.
You raise an interesting point. I and a lot of women like a man whose body says "I've done hard work", but not necessarily "I spend hours in the gym, preening". I think a lot of men don't get this, and spend way, way too much time getting "cut" when a mere tricep curve that says "I'm not going to whine about muscle pain if you ask me to swing a hammer once in a while" will do.

Then again, I also get that sometimes going to the gym becomes a whole different animal - you join initially to lose a few pounds, but then get into the thrill of hitting new goals. It's no longer about vanity. I try to keep that in mind when I catch myself judging some man for being too ripped.

(Also - the article linked is a non-story. Just some freelancer desperate to pitch a story that sounds like a thing. The "dad bod" is not a thing. It's called people, yes even famous actors, aging. Like people do).

Last edited by Mimidae; 05-08-2015 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 07:33 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,103,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
It was an interesting article...because although I'm not a dad yet, I can relate.

Given the fact that most men aren't chiseled and don't have a 6 pack, I'm surprised that it took this long to make something tacit explicit; that women find regular men attractive.

As a man, I find "regular" women attractive all of the time and do not find skinny supermodels that attractive.

Its just been, for the past 30-40 years the media and society makes us think that "fit" looks a certain way. And in a way they're right, but in another way you can be somewhat fit, and wanted by the opposite (or same) sex and not have to look like a magazine ad.

I think the take away is that "normal" or "not ripped" is OK for men. And it should be for women as well.

(...regular in this case is working out occasionally and not being too overweight.)
What an excellent post. Spot on!

As a woman, I really don't find men who workout all the time more attractive than a regular guy. Never have.

As a wife and mother, I love my husband's "dad bod" because it means he prioritizes time with me and our children over hitting the gym before and after work. Watching him play soccer in the yard with our kids is infinitely HOTTER to me than if he came home late but had six-pack abs

Old 05-08-2015, 08:28 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,269,022 times
I always find it interesting, that the majority of people only want to get in shape to attract the opposite sex, and not for their own health.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,869,126 times
I'm more attracted to men in shape but my boyfriend has a dad bod (which is ironic because he isn't a dad). I wish he'd lose weight but looks are just one part.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:38 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,869,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Women are all about guys with jobs and that can take care of them, as long as you are in decent shape and have an average personality you should be able to date a lot of hot women.
Actually false. Women with careers don't care about him supporting her.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:16 PM

5,249 posts, read 6,168,711 times
I think the examples of 'dad bods' are pretty humorous. Springsteen is in insane shape for his age & I would like to meet the person who tries to deny it. John Mayer is not muscular but he is pretty lean by modern standards. And Chris Pratt is so all over the place physically I'm not sure which stage of Chris Pratt they mean.

It reminds me a little of when women post an image of a celebrity being 'real' but you suspect they are just being stealthy about the high/mighty being normal people. Because congratulating someone on taking the least flattering photo possible while blasting it across the internet is pretty much the height of passive aggression.

Its no different than embracing JLo as a size life or Helen Mirren as a sexy grandma when in truth those two are still probably in the top 10% of people's physical fitness.

And I've never once heard a guy talk about inner thigh gap except that weirdo 'the dirty' website. To me that smacks of someone with an eating disorder.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:19 PM

5,249 posts, read 6,168,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Actually false. Women with careers don't care about him supporting her.
But plenty of women with careers will also not date a man with a lesser career. And many will choose to date a man whose career/position compliments her own.

Note I said many- I did not say all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness