Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times

Advertisements

Count me out! I don't want to look good for someone with 3 kids... I want to look good, period!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebox View Post
Suddenly, mom bods!

[URL="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3080898/Women-hit-awful-dad-bod-trend-proudly-celebrating-natural-beauty-curvy-mom-bods.html"]Women hit back at 'awful dad bod trend' by celebrating 'mom bods' | Daily Mail Online[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 10:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Women are all about guys with jobs and that can take care of them, as long as you are in decent shape and have an average personality you should be able to date a lot of hot women.
Or anyway, hot women that don't have good jobs of their own.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:05 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
The truth is that single women don't sit all brunch and talk about mens' bodies, a la Sex And The City. Remember that tv show had many gay men involved in the writing and production and those scenes talking about penis size and body hair wasn't very accurate. Gay men are more concerned with those things but women wanting to be in a serious relationship with a straight man that isn't a loser... not so much. I lived in Manhattan for over 16 years and never once did I sit at a nice restaurant for brunch chatting about boyfriends' bodies. Most women with a life would be thrilled to meet a man with a "dad bod". Women are not looking into meeting men that are into working out two hours a day unless he is a personal trainer otherwise women are more concerned with fidelity issues and what kind of career path a man has. Six pack abs and big quads are topics for college girls.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:05 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That's a big part of it for me. I don't want to be taking prescription meds to stay alive. I'm 48, and my BP and cholesterol are perfect. My younger brother has been on meds for both of those for several years now, and he just doesn't care.

It also saves money by remaining healthy since medical care is just stupid expensive. Since I've worked out and watched what I eat for my entire adult life, I would imagine someone who is 48, overweight and bad BP/cholesterol would have a very difficult time getting to where I am, even if they stuck with it and tried their best.
They probably would have a difficult time if that's the message you're sending to those as you described. Kind of like saying, "Well, you can try to be like me, but you're probably going to fail." Of course someone who's trying to do a complete lifestyle change is going to have a difficult time - at least at first. It wouldn't be worth it if it was that easy. The biggest part in getting to one's optimal point of their health all starts with having the motivation. Honestly, that's half the battle right there. There's also complete support with loved ones and patience to see the process through. The actual process itself is not rocket science. Once the eating healthier and regular exercise becomes habit, it really isn't that difficult of a process. In fact, I've known those individuals who have never workout a day in their lives who have had the quickest transformations.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:47 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It's a macho thing. Larger well defined muscles and physical strength are a status symbol among men as much as they are a way to attract women. It's just another way guys keep score with each other.
It's true, most men and women at the gym are working towards the same goal:

The perfect female body!

Old 05-19-2015, 03:13 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
Who would go to lift for looks anyways? That is challenging oneself and enjoying sports

Old 05-19-2015, 06:11 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Who would go to lift for looks anyways? That is challenging oneself and enjoying sports
The majority of young men who lift are probably doing it, at least in part, for looks.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:56 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
The majority of young men who lift are probably doing it, at least in part, for looks.
Not my fault if they force themselves to do something what they don't like

Old 05-20-2015, 02:09 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I always find it interesting, that the majority of people only want to get in shape to attract the opposite sex, and not for their own health.
I find this absolutely fascinating as well and totally wrong-headed. Do you suppose it's one reason that our society largely fails to remain in great shape? I mean, from personal experience, I started my fitness life as an adult when I was 19 years old. I was scrawny, I thought from adults that somehow as a guy you just kind of grew up and got bigger. I didn't. I was tiny and scrawny and I thought, dang, ok this has to change. The initial few weeks, I was thinking I want to get muscular and good looking so I can finally get some chicks! But that wore off very quickly as the primary motivation. I ended up realizing I loved the FEELING of working out, getting stronger and stronger by the week, and I loved looking better, too. I liked what I saw in the mirror and I liked the confidence I was building just as a person and the physical feeling of better health. Then the whole "getting girls" thing just became down the list.

There's also the fact that I'm not sure "getting girls" or "getting guys" is actually enough motivation by itself to do something incredibly disciplined. Most people have very little discipline (retirement savings, anyone?). When I was starting to pack on muscle, it meant learning how to eat properly and making several protein shakes per day, blended up just perfectly with some fruit and protein powder, etc., and remembering to eat often and properly to build muscle. Then hours spent in the gym. It was HARD work and like a separate hobby entirely. That much motivation to do something is kind of tough if it's just to "get girls," because the reward may not come for many, many months. By that point, you'd have already given up. But the daily feeling of wellness and health was absolutely enough to keep me interested and excited by what I was doing.

There is nothing attractive or "hot" about a lack of discipline and lack of physical fitness. It requires a lot of hard work and dedication but in my life, I let myself go a bit a few years ago, and one year ago almost exactly I started working out and eating very healthy again and lost about 35 pounds while also gaining muscle. I forgot how much I loved working out and now I'm stronger than when I was 21. Even at 32, I'm in my prime physically and I feel more energy and more strength than ever. I am benching 235 pounds for reps and my one rep max then is around 1.5x body weight, "superior" strength for any age group but especially 30-39. It's FUN being in great shape, it makes you feel awesome. I know that among guys my age, I'm in the top 2% of physical fitness. Yet I have a long-term girlfriend of almost 4 years. She thought I was still hot somehow when I was at my max weight, even though I was personally disgusted by myself and that was what motivated me to lose the weight especially.

I don't know how you look in the mirror with a big gut or even 20-30 pounds extra and feel good about yourself. It wasn't a feeling I enjoyed. You should always be in the best shape you can be because it feels great, not just to impress someone of the opposite gender. That's an awesome side effect, but not a very great reason for being fit.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:12 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
The truth is that single women don't sit all brunch and talk about mens' bodies, a la Sex And The City. Remember that tv show had many gay men involved in the writing and production and those scenes talking about penis size and body hair wasn't very accurate. Gay men are more concerned with those things but women wanting to be in a serious relationship with a straight man that isn't a loser... not so much. I lived in Manhattan for over 16 years and never once did I sit at a nice restaurant for brunch chatting about boyfriends' bodies. Most women with a life would be thrilled to meet a man with a "dad bod". Women are not looking into meeting men that are into working out two hours a day unless he is a personal trainer otherwise women are more concerned with fidelity issues and what kind of career path a man has. Six pack abs and big quads are topics for college girls.
I guess that's why college girls are so much more desirable -- they care more about their looks and the guys' looks.

I don't think the average hot girl is going to be overly happy with a "dad bod," and why should she be? Hot girls can get hot guys. There's no reason to settle. And before anyone says looks aren't everything, nobody cares -- looks, personality, and intelligence are the big three (you could throw in something like "ambition" or "financial stability," I guess, if you want) and if you have all three, you want all three. I don't think a smart, fun, hot girl is going to want a smart, fun, out of shape guy. That's settling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness