Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 03:14 PM

166 posts, read 244,525 times

Advertisements

How do you do it? Let's say you have been working very hard on your fitness; however, you have an extended vacation coming up and you are traveling to several destinations outside of the country. How do you ensure that you continue to maintain your fitness on such a vacation?

You really don't want to start over when you return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 03:34 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Wow, that's just sad, that kind of doggedness.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:06 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
I always bring my running attire when traveling, and only book places that have a gym (if I'm in a hotel/resort) or find a pay as go gym. So far, I've never run into a situation that I can't exercise. Even if you're in a room with nothing but a floor, one can get in a good exercise.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:54 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
I do whatever I can. I may mix up push-ups, running, and maybe luckily a gym that's either free (hotel) or maybe a few times a week if I can find a gym and get a day pass just to workout. You can rent and ride bikes. You can swim (pool, ocean, lake). I have a set of bands I've brought along travelling at times, as I can still get other than body weight resistance training in. Planks. Burpees. The list is endless.

It's mental with me, and I just don't allow a vacation to take away all exercise. I may miss a few days during a week, but I don't think I've ever gone under 4 out of 7 days doing something, and many times, every day. It's important to me.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:37 PM

509 posts, read 555,114 times
I find I tend to lose weight on vacations because of more walking than usual.
In addition to being careful with portion sizes it's pretty simple to find a spot to jog or walk. Many locations also have bike and boat rentals. Hotels have small gyms and pools and doing sit ups, squats, lunges and push ups in your hotel room is always an option.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Do things that don't require gym equipment. Sit-ups, push-ups, squats, lunges, planks, burpees, wall-sits, stair runs ..etc. There's a ton of stuff you can do with just your body weight.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:42 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,593,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I always bring my running attire when traveling, and only book places that have a gym (if I'm in a hotel/resort) or find a pay as go gym. So far, I've never run into a situation that I can't exercise. Even if you're in a room with nothing but a floor, one can get in a good exercise.

Same here one of the great things about running one can take it with them, all you need is your shoes a school track or park, etc~~.. Plus I don't take a break from my organic diet ever and that's more a challenge trying find places that sever organic....

Old 05-25-2015, 10:33 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,615 times
For cardio, I find I'm usually active enough as is on vacation, with hiking, touring, and whatever else. If it's business travel, it's a bit harder, but you can usually find a cardio machine somewhere or go for a run if that's your thing. Lifting is harder.

In the past, I used to just let it go when I traveled. Now, for the most part, I keep up with my lifting routine when I travel. I feel better and am happiest not missing workouts, so I just find a gym that offers a day pass and get it done. It's not the cheapest thing in the world though, day passes range from $10-25 at many gyms, which is a lot for a single workout. Try to find one with a cost under $15 -- call around or your hotel may have some suggestions. Sometimes (but not always) they'll give you a bit of a break if you can show you're from out of town, so tell them you are and bring in your ID. At the end of the day though, I'm willing to pay to get my lifting in on most of my trips. It's a cost, but one I've decided is worth it, especially since I travel pretty frequently. Missing my lifting every time I travel just isn't an option.

Also, don't discount hotel gyms entirely. Many are awful, but it's always worth it to check them out. Few have power racks or barbells, but many have a set of dumbbells, and you can actually get in some serious lifting with dumbbells only if needed.

Finally -- there are some trips you just can't lift easily. In that case, don't sweat it. I go to the beach many years, often beach camping. There's not really any decent gyms down there, and honestly, I don't want to spend my time in a weight room at the beach, I'd rather be in the surf. A week or two off occasionally is good for you anyway .

Old 05-25-2015, 11:45 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Why even worry about it? Unless you have some sort of athletic competition coming up soon or plan to go absolutely hog wild on your vacation, it's highly unlikely you will lose any meaningful progress while on vacation. There are also physiological benefits you might experience as well (up-regulating your metabolic rate, muscle recovery...etc) that will make your workouts and diet more effective after a bit of a break, especially if you have been training and/or dieting hard for an extended period of time.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:20 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Same here. I bring my jump rope and cables with me. I also try to find a gym that i can pay as i go. ALso, there are a lot of bodyweight exercises that you can do that don't require weights or gym equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness