Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

We are in the same age group. I am a bit older at 50. I too started to get back in shape about 8 weeks ago. I have lost 35lbs and reached my ideal weight in that time. For nutritional advice and motivation I have come to rely on the experts on PBS such as:

Dr. Joel Fuhrman

Joyce Bauer

JJ Virgin

Dr. Mark Hyman

I learned from Dr. Fuhrman about the importance of micro-nutrients. Joyce Bauer offers sensible advice that everyone can relate too. JJ Virgin opens my eyes about the myth of the recommended fruit intake and small but frequent meal eating. Your diet, I think, can benefit from some tweakings. And these experts can help.

I wish you success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
How much do you weigh? Male/female?

1300 calories is probably the problem. That is likely unsustainable unless you are already quite small. You can get away with it for a few weeks, but eventually you will feel lethargic.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:32 PM

698 posts, read 986,216 times
My apologies, I miss typed, my calorie intake is 1,600 a day, not much more than 1,300 but more.

Thanks for the information on diet, I think I can do better here and learn from the sources cited.

I haven't had to do this for years, last time I needed to lose say 25 - 30 lbs I was in my late thirties, I did what I'm currently doing and it dropped right off. I think 10 years and the additional weight has made things a bit more difficult.

Again, thanks for the input, I greatly appreciate it!

Just returned from the gym and I feel pretty good.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:21 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
You should take a multi-vitamin. As for the workout, since you are in your late 40s so you should concentrate on compound exercises. Especially, lower bodywork-outs. (squats, deadlifts, lunges) Lower body exercises are natural testosterone boosters. Also, how is your sex life? Are you getting your daily dose of sunshine?

As for diet, i would decrease the intake or cut out completely - junk food, fried food, alcohol, smoking, sugary drinks, and desserts.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:22 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I think, 1300 calories is your problem. You can burn that just sitting doing nothing staring at the wall. Add exercise and you're just not going to have much gas to power a workout.

The type of food and when you eat, can make a huge difference, too.
Big +1 on that.

It's very likely that you don't have the fuel your body needs.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:49 AM

698 posts, read 986,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
How much do you weigh? Male/female?

1300 calories is probably the problem. That is likely unsustainable unless you are already quite small. You can get away with it for a few weeks, but eventually you will feel lethargic.
Sorry, mistyped, 1,600. Male - 250 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
You should take a multi-vitamin. As for the workout, since you are in your late 40s so you should concentrate on compound exercises. Especially, lower bodywork-outs. (squats, deadlifts, lunges) Lower body exercises are natural testosterone boosters. Also, how is your sex life? Are you getting your daily dose of sunshine?

As for diet, i would decrease the intake or cut out completely - junk food, fried food, alcohol, smoking, sugary drinks, and desserts.
Yes on the multi-vitamin, not doing a lot of lower body exercises but planning on incorporating those.

Sunshine, I'm currently in the process of building a pool so I'm outside quite often overseeing things or watering down shotcrete, got a very nice tan going Sex life is good 3+ times a week

Old 05-29-2015, 08:10 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
1600 is probably still too low for a 250 pound male that is exercising. I'm not sure what your maintenance caloric intake is... but mine is about 2100 and I only weigh 170 pounds so yours is probably a little higher than that. I would up your caloric intake to 1800-1900. That should still put yourself in a comfortable deficit so weight should still drop off (though a touch slower) but your energy levels may improve dramatically.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:27 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
Ok recruit, because of your age, I'll go easy on you for awhile. I can't say this enough, my son is huge into working out, they his (friends) go to the gym every day, and they are all retired military at a young age (29) or so and they will tell you this.They listen to Knightly and all agree, Try something unconventional twice a week, you should try once a week, being a beginner. .

"Rucking" walking briskly (never run) , here's the details, ruck sack w/ 45lbs, start out rucking five miles, the norm is 10 miles until you can go Soldier Ranger style 20 or better, plenty of time for that down the road, once you feel comfortable doing ten miles, we throw in a new twist, Land Nav, start "rucking" off road using the terrain, hills, pathways, going slowly but surely, and increase the miles from five to ten once your settled into rucking Land Nav. You can switch up between Land Nav and flat top every other week, once you get crackerjack at it, you can start Star Lite Nav, (down the road) jump rope everyday of the week, and jump into the pool twice a week. I bet between "rucking" jumping rope and the pool, you'll be a mean lean fighting machine in no time, it's proven, it works, it's not for the meek, only hard chargers need apply. Talk about energy, no problems.

Add in a little weight training, in nine weeks, you and others will see and notice a difference..

Not only in energy but over-all fit level..

Old 05-29-2015, 01:01 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Recently started going to the gym again. Joined a brand new athletic club near my home that opened last week. 90,000 sq ft and this place has everything.

Me, late 40s want to lose 50 lbs. Prior to 5 weeks ago pretty sedentary, desk job. Five weeks ago I started walking 1.5 - 2 miles 5 times a week, tracking my calories and nutrition using an app and keeping them to about 1300 a day. Eliminated diet soda (didn't drink a lot, maybe 1 or 2 a week) and eliminated alcohol. In 4 weeks I lost 14 lbs.

Started at gym a week ago today, have been doing 30 minutes of elliptical with light weight training 5 days a week (only been going a week).

My issue is I have no energy. I had more energy when I was simply walking. I'm in my normal sleep pattern of 7 - 8 hours a night, eating right/balanced nothing else has changed except working out.

Anyone have any suggestions?
First off, what are your stats, specifically height and weight? This is crucial information for helping you with the diet.

As for the energy, if you can find it locally you might consider trying an EC (ephedrine and caffeine) stack. Not only is it a pretty good stimulant but it also has thermogenic and appetite suppressing effects which will be very useful on your diet. Just be careful about taking this if you have blood pressure or cardiovascular issues as that can get you in trouble.

If you can't find ephedrine or can't take it, the caffeine alone would give you a little bit of a boost. A fast acting carbohydrate drink sipped during the workout would probably help too. I personally use those Gatorade G2s during each workout and find them to be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Thanks, I should have mentioned since I'm going to the gym I'm no longer walking other than a two lap cool down after lifting. When I say lifting it's VERY moderate. Enough to be a little sore, but not enough to make it so I can't lift my arms up to brush my teeth (that actually happened several years ago when I hired a trainer).

Yes, which is one of the reasons I'm at the gym, in addtion to losing weight I need to get my cholesterol and blood sugar (history of diabetes in my family a couple of deaths from it) as well as my blood pressure. Heart disease on other side of family.
I would definitely cut back on the 5 days a week in the gym. For your situation, a simple full body depletion workout (1-3 sets with 12-15 reps on most exercises) would be best. Here is the workout I'm currently using (gym routine on the left).

I disagree that you should be adding calories. Taking in 1600 calories would give you a substantial but not extreme calorie deficit and right now your concern is losing weight. You can always up the calories and intensity of your workouts later when you've reached your weight loss goal.
Attached Thumbnails
Started going to gym no energy, help please-workout.png  

Old 05-29-2015, 01:06 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Ok recruit, because of your age, I'll go easy on you for awhile. I can't say this enough, my son is huge into working out, they his (friends) go to the gym every day, and they are all retired military at a young age (29) or so and they will tell you this.They listen to Knightly and all agree, Try something unconventional twice a week, you should try once a week, being a beginner. .

"Rucking" walking briskly (never run) , here's the details, ruck sack w/ 45lbs, start out rucking five miles, the norm is 10 miles until you can go Soldier Ranger style 20 or better, plenty of time for that down the road, once you feel comfortable doing ten miles, we throw in a new twist, Land Nav, start "rucking" off road using the terrain, hills, pathways, going slowly but surely, and increase the miles from five to ten once your settled into rucking Land Nav. You can switch up between Land Nav and flat top every other week, once you get crackerjack at it, you can start Star Lite Nav, (down the road) jump rope everyday of the week, and jump into the pool twice a week. I bet between "rucking" jumping rope and the pool, you'll be a mean lean fighting machine in no time, it's proven, it works, it's not for the meek, only hard chargers need apply. Talk about energy, no problems.

Add in a little weight training, in nine weeks, you and others will see and notice a difference..

Not only in energy but over-all fit level..
I'm sorry, but this is horrible advice. You can't train an overweight 50 year old like you would a young man fresh out of the military, and all this is going to do is stall his weight loss and burn him out in a real hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness