Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:44 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest getting a blood workup also. My doctor found I was deficient in Vitamin D. I have a lot more energy when I remember to take my vitamins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:48 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
I couple of comments answering questions. I'm 5'10, 250.
Ok, so your daily calorie deficit is roughly 572 calories. That's on the low end of a moderate deficit, and definitely no need to start adding calories. You could even cut it back more, as your deficit only puts you at about a pound lost per week.

Setting the Deficit - Small, Moderate or Large | BodyRecomposition

Quote:
I have high blood pressure so have to avoid taking anything that will mess with that.
That sucks, because the EC stack is awesome.

Quote:
When I say I'm tired, it's not that I'm tired at the gym, it's just overall being tired.
If all your blood work came back ok, I'd say not to worry about it. If it hasn't corrected some after a couple weeks, then you might want to start looking at some options.

Quote:
Yea I know the boxed lunches are bad, trying to work in real food, today I had a skinless grilled chicken thigh and squash.
Good work. You might consider swapping out your snacks and/or lunch with a casein or milk protein isolate shake. They'll give you an excellent source of protein (20-30grams depending on brand and quality) and have an excellent "filling" effect. They also run around 150 calories when mixed with water so they'll give you another opportunity to ramp up the calorie deficit.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:22 PM

112 posts, read 112,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Recently started going to the gym again. Joined a brand new athletic club near my home that opened last week. 90,000 sq ft and this place has everything.

Me, late 40s want to lose 50 lbs. Prior to 5 weeks ago pretty sedentary, desk job. Five weeks ago I started walking 1.5 - 2 miles 5 times a week, tracking my calories and nutrition using an app and keeping them to about 1300 a day. Eliminated diet soda (didn't drink a lot, maybe 1 or 2 a week) and eliminated alcohol. In 4 weeks I lost 14 lbs.

Started at gym a week ago today, have been doing 30 minutes of elliptical with light weight training 5 days a week (only been going a week).

My issue is I have no energy. I had more energy when I was simply walking. I'm in my normal sleep pattern of 7 - 8 hours a night, eating right/balanced nothing else has changed except working out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried doing bodyweight training instead? There are tons of guides on how you can do them, they are great for strength and wouldn't require you putting extra effort going to the gym, lifting weights reracking etc and you can do them from the comfort of your home. Put the "personal" back in your personal fitness.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:39 AM

26 posts, read 68,818 times
im almost 52 last sept time i decided it was time to get in better shape. the visit to the doctor confirmed it. started on the elliptical 5 days a week 20 min a day once i was able to get to the 20 min. a few months ago swapped out the elliptical for versaclimber and added some light weight lifting( because i couldnt lift anything heavy ha ha) last time i checked over a month ago i was down 40lbs and i know i lost more but its wasnt about the weight but feeling better. i keep it simple, versaclimber 6 days a week and alternate between bench and curls and dumbells. the weight amount keeps increasing and i feel great. almost embarrassed to say but could barely curl 30 lbs when i started. using 85 lbs now and do 5 sets of 7 . i drink a protein isolate shake when i get done. breakfast is a protein bar meal replacement. light lunch and a normal dinner but cut out all breads unless multi grain, pastas and mashed potatoes. i have a weakness for peanut butter pretzels and its my favorite snack. cant stop every thing. i was doing the versaclimber twice a day but recently have to go back to once a day. some days i wouldnt be able to do the 2nd workout until 9 pm and then back up at 4 am to start all over. there wasnt enough recovery time and by the end of the week i could barely move. i stopped the 2nd workout and increased the time in the am and it helped alot. best of luck to you

Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You guys do realize he's trying to lose weight, right? Telling him to up his calories to get better workouts is counterproductive to that goal and simply going to make him more muscular and overweight.

Given his age and weight I'd be very surprised if his current deficit is more than 700 calories per day, which is not at all that extreme. That's why I asked for his complete stats including height, so we could have a better idea of where he is. He also doesn't need to be that concerned about building muscle, but rather maintaining what he already has.
700 calories isn't an extreme deficit, but if he is feeling consistently lethargic, it could (at least partially) be due to that deficit.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:00 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I hope things are better today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness