Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:57 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,020,997 times

Advertisements

The mesh has nothing to do with doing squats and that doctor does not know what they are talking about.
It can be necessary for some women because they have grown older, for others it is generally an after affect of birthing children.
It also does not "hold your lady parts in" because your lady parts are not falling out and it is a different part of the female anatomy that is affected, not the uterus, vagina, labia or surrounding genitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 08:58 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,409,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebox View Post
I almost told you to eat some burgers until I realized you're a woman.

Fantastic shape.
Thanks!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:00 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,409,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The mesh has nothing to do with doing squats and that doctor does not know what they are talking about.
It can be necessary for some women because they have grown older, for others it is generally an after affect of birthing children.
It still freaks me out. The mess she has had to deal with...I think is it worth it? Can there be another way? Should I just be content with feeling healthy while looking my best?!
Aging sucks!
Thank you!

Old 06-03-2015, 06:13 AM

6,447 posts, read 7,739,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Thank you...I must admit I am afraid to eat too much for fear of getting that bulky look! Maybe I can just eat a chicken salad for lunch. I eat a lot of beans and broccoli. Love them.
Thanks for the input.
One thing...my stomach is not perfectly flat unless I lay down. It doesn't stick out too much but I don't like it. Also, I have no butt and I am trying to build, or at least tighten what I have. So depressing...
Thanks for your input!
My wife is a Dr. When she was younger, she worked for a few years at an outpatient clinic for (mostly) girls w/eating disorders. It's a tough disorder and I congratulate you for surviving.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:23 AM

761 posts, read 829,206 times
Quote:
I have been told that I am genetically blessed with a great body. I am 5"8 115 (that is with the added muscle lately) and general lankiness with curves in proper places.
I have no butt though. At 44 My arms are starting to get "bat wings"- ugh.
What can I do? I won't do squats because my mom had to get that mesh put in that you see lawsuits for.
I want to get in shape as quickly as possible, can go to gym about 5 times a week.
Right now I do:
  • Modern stair climber at level 5 for 26 minutes and cool down.
  • Leg extension machine sitting and on tummy (3 sets of 10)
  • Leg squats on a sitting machine 35 pounds plus calves and butt work (two sets until it burns.)
  • Bench press machine 40 pounds three reps but I do it above bar, equal to bar and below bar.
  • Sometimes the rowing thing
  • Triceps a lot but they never hurt afterwards. Not sure I am doing them right.
  • I do some contraption that works obliques and arms.
  • I eat garbanzo beans and hot sauce every night before bed (now) for protein. Skip breakfast because I am still full. Don't eat much during the day. Eat more at night...pretty nutritious.
I want:
  • The stomach area flat again (had a baby) even though it looks flat it isn't when I am naked and sitting.
  • I want rounded shoulders, biceps, triceps and calves (which is a lost cause becasue I am too skinny for calves) but I'll try.
  • Quads
  • Hamstrings
Help! Any suggestions to make the process quicker and more efficient with my time. I have no idea how to use the dumb bells either. I have definite tone and no cellulite so that is good.
We will need to verify that flat stomach to make sure you're not fibbing, so post a few of those naked, sitting pictures asap. Lol, just kidding.

Skip the hot sauce unless you want to have gastric issues later on. Hotsauce right before bed and then lying down right after? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Try a nice protein shake instead, more nutritious and better for you.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:43 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,150,654 times
Quote:
Got it! I can do that!
All at 3/4 your body weight (around 80 lb) ? It's quite hard.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 AM

17,472 posts, read 38,898,722 times
RE: Squats - I know the bodybuilder types on this forum always want EVERYONE to do tons of these and "lift heavy".

Not all of us can or should do that. OP, squats are great, but do NOT do "barbell squats!" Start off with air squats (no weight at all) and do lots of reps. Then start doing "front loaded" which means you hold a small weight like a 10 lb dumbell. These days I do my squats holding a 25 lb. kettlebell close to the front of my body. These are very effective and will really help you to build muscle.

Congrats on getting your eating disorder under control! At this point, you want to concentrate on eating more protein (builds muscle) and if you are working out, you definitely need to add calories, or your muscle can't grow. If you stick to healthy foods (protein, veggies etc) you will not gain any fat, you will just get more muscle. And believe me you will NOT "bulk up." It is almost impossible for women to do unless one is a body-builder or gym bunny who spends hours and hours there.

You can do it - if I can, anyone can!

Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,980,515 times
Quote:
Ha! I wrote that in a I'm getting obsessed with working out frenzy! I do eat oatmeal and berries with honey for breakfast. No lunch. Regular dinner.
The garbanzo beans and hot sauce (for flavor) give me protein...I eat them around midnight.
If you want protein, there are better options. Here's what I prefer.

Buy Optimum Nutrition - 100% Casein Gold Standard Chocolate Supreme - 4 lbs. at LuckyVitamin.com

It tastes great (literally tastes like a chocolate milkshake if you get the powder/water ratio right) and since it is casein, it has a great filling effect as a meal replacement. It also only has 120 calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I agree.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:16 AM

28,395 posts, read 16,265,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
RE: Squats - I know the bodybuilder types on this forum always want EVERYONE to do tons of these and "lift heavy".

Not all of us can or should do that.
Yes, everyone can, and lacking any current medical issues preventing, should do "heavy" squats. What everyone needs to understand is that "heavy" is relative to the number of sets and repetitions, as well as to your current strength. If the most you can back squat is 100lbs, then squatting 85lbs for sets of 3 or 5 reps is "heavy" for you.

Squatting and standing up from a squat is one of the most fundamental human movements there is - why would you not want to get better at that? If you do them properly, they are completely safe.

Quote:
OP, squats are great, but do NOT do "barbell squats!"
Uh, why? Unless you're not strong enough to squat 35 lbs (the weight of an empty female barbell), there is no reason to not do barbell squats (assuming no injury, as above).

Quote:
Start off with air squats (no weight at all) and do lots of reps. Then start doing "front loaded" which means you hold a small weight like a 10 lb dumbell. These days I do my squats holding a 25 lb. kettlebell close to the front of my body. These are very effective and will really help you to build muscle.
Nothing wrong with this advice. Here's a video to help the OP:

https://youtu.be/XAD2ybBktMQ

Quote:
Congrats on getting your eating disorder under control! At this point, you want to concentrate on eating more protein (builds muscle) and if you are working out, you definitely need to add calories, or your muscle can't grow. If you stick to healthy foods (protein, veggies etc) you will not gain any fat, you will just get more muscle. And believe me you will NOT "bulk up." It is almost impossible for women to do unless one is a body-builder or gym bunny who spends hours and hours there.

You can do it - if I can, anyone can!
Agreed with all of this.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:52 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,007,094 times
Squats are great for glutes but since you can't do them, simply change how you are using the leg press machine:

Place your feet as high as possible so you are pushing mostly from the heels. That works the glutes/hamstrings. (Push from the toes to work the quadriceps and calves.) Do as many as possible within the shortest time span. Rest. Repeat, until you can do no more. Also, work towards increasing the weight from 35lbs to at least your own body weight.

For the bat wings, push-ups will directly work the triceps. As above, do as many as possible within the shortest time span, rest, repeat.

Quote:
I have been told that I am genetically blessed with a great body. I am 5"8 115 (that is with the added muscle lately) and general lankiness with curves in proper places.
I have no butt though. At 44 My arms are starting to get "bat wings"- ugh.
What can I do? I won't do squats because my mom had to get that mesh put in that you see lawsuits for.
I want to get in shape as quickly as possible, can go to gym about 5 times a week.
Right now I do:
  • Modern stair climber at level 5 for 26 minutes and cool down.
  • Leg extension machine sitting and on tummy (3 sets of 10)
  • Leg squats on a sitting machine 35 pounds plus calves and butt work (two sets until it burns.)
  • Bench press machine 40 pounds three reps but I do it above bar, equal to bar and below bar.
  • Sometimes the rowing thing
  • Triceps a lot but they never hurt afterwards. Not sure I am doing them right.
  • I do some contraption that works obliques and arms.
  • I eat garbanzo beans and hot sauce every night before bed (now) for protein. Skip breakfast because I am still full. Don't eat much during the day. Eat more at night...pretty nutritious.
I want:
  • The stomach area flat again (had a baby) even though it looks flat it isn't when I am naked and sitting.
  • I want rounded shoulders, biceps, triceps and calves (which is a lost cause becasue I am too skinny for calves) but I'll try.
  • Quads
  • Hamstrings
Help! Any suggestions to make the process quicker and more efficient with my time. I have no idea how to use the dumb bells either. I have definite tone and no cellulite so that is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness