Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Kind of funny, but TRUE! I am also a cyclist, but thankfully I don't live in that dump San Diego,
san diego is a dump? ive never been there but people that ive spoken to speak of it like its paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 01:23 PM

8,061 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I actually was SHOT AT--or at least I thought so at the time. I was biking down a city street about 1/2 from the police station. Wide street, I was way over by the curb just pumping along, when all of a sudden a car pulls up next to me and the passenger reaches out with a chrome revolver and pumps out 5 quick shots and the car speeds off with driver and passenger just laughing their @sses off.

I slam on my brakes and check myself for bullet holes: none. Couldn't believe it. How could they MISS me? Ran it back through my head and realized that it was a starter pistol: the cylinder didn't go all the way to the barrel.

I look ahead at the car and realize that they're stuck behind 4 cars at a 4-way stop sign about 1/2 block ahead, so I climbed back on and started racing up to them with my tire pump in my hand. JUST as I got there, the car squealed off and almost caused an accident by running the stop sign. Damn.

This was easily within hearing distance of the police station, but nobody came rushing over. Wish I had caught them. That passenger would have received the beating of his life.
Good thing for them you weren't carrying; the minute you saw the gun it would have been legal to defend yourself.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:33 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
40 years ago in Boulder, Colorado, I was walking to a party with a few other people when somebody drove up behind us and someone in the car threw a pitcher of rum and coke at us (just the drink, not the pitcher too). Most of it hit me in the back. They drove away laughing.

That was the beginning of my intense dislike for BMW automobiles and those who drive/ride in them.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:36 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
so I guess moral of the story is, while some people in the south are cool, most are loser slob a-holes. especially SC. And we should start packing heat while cycling. And maybe..shoot back? ridiculous.

I will say I notice so many beer cans on road sides, every state. Makes me wonder, are some people just drinking like it is a party, while DRIVING?!! No wonder they do ludicrous things like throw objects while traveling at speeds that make this behavior lethal. Unfortunately the kind of person to throw things at people from vehicles are the people that reproduce the most: trashy people. white/black/country/inner city/whatever vehicle, but same behavior: trash.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:59 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quite a few times actually.
Either squirt guns, racial epithets, or even swerved at from an on-coming vehicle.

Of course in the event they pull over and want to get physical, that's what carrying a hammer and keeping them between you and the traffic is for.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:37 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
I see people flick cigarettes from their cars when I'm driving. It is infuriating after seeing the no-littering/tossing burning items from car signs 1000$ fine which are EVERYWHERE.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:30 PM

8,061 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
so I guess moral of the story is, while some people in the south are cool, most are loser slob a-holes. especially SC. And we should start packing heat while cycling. And maybe..shoot back? ridiculous.

I will say I notice so many beer cans on road sides, every state. Makes me wonder, are some people just drinking like it is a party, while DRIVING?!! No wonder they do ludicrous things like throw objects while traveling at speeds that make this behavior lethal. Unfortunately the kind of person to throw things at people from vehicles are the people that reproduce the most: trashy people. white/black/country/inner city/whatever vehicle, but same behavior: trash.

I did not suggest anyone "pack heat" I merely wrote the idiots that shot a toy gun at a biker were LUCKY.

Here is what I posted.
" Good thing for them you weren't carrying; the minute you saw the gun it would have been legal to defend yourself."

By the way if someone is shooting at you it is always a good idea to shoot back.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
so I guess moral of the story is, while some people in the south are cool, most are loser slob a-holes.
I would hope its nowhere near most.

one thing that ill say is that it isn't surprising that its pick up truck drivers. I drive a lot in nj/nyc and I know that there are a lot less pick up trucks here but if I had to name a category of drivers "the biggest a-holes" based on car type, id say pick up truck drivers.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:14 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
Out all my years from age 16-51 running no one has ever tossed anything at me but I have had men make sex remarks and scare me when driving up behind me....These men are old enough to know better...Ugh!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:38 PM

424 posts, read 381,756 times
Once someone was throwing full beer cans at people during the rose festival, does that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness