Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:10 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,741 times

Advertisements

TwiloMike, I hope you know I was joking about the Twinkies and the Oreos. Those Oreos are tasty. (That's why I still won't have them on hand too often I think...) Enjoy your treats. I'm not above an Oreo either. And they did get rid of the transfats. (There is also an alternative brand at Whole Foods. Not the Newman's Own, but a tastier kind. Forget the name. I don't live by one anymore...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If you are a living human being you need to do both.
I think so too. I was going to say about 90% eat to live foods and 10% or so live to eat, but because lots of eat to live foods can also be categorized as tasty (live to eat) it's not so cut and dry.

I guess we all know to eat as healthy as possible if we want to be as healthy as possible, but a few treats every now and then aren't so bad. Adds to the happiness factor.

New Jersey? maybe you should experiment with different breakfast foods? It is an important meal. Maybe try something new (look online?) so it won't be feeling so drab for you. Doesn't have to be a big meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 PM

622 posts, read 3,112,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
New Jersey? maybe you should experiment with different breakfast foods? It is an important meal. Maybe try something new (look online?) so it won't be feeling so drab for you. Doesn't have to be a big meal.
Thanks! I do eat breakfast. My point was that I 'have' to eat it to stay "in shape", but I would rather skip it. Hence my "I don't like to eat" mentality. I'm just not an eater to begin with I guess.

I mostly have plain oatmeal and a protein shake afterwards for breakfast. Yep, drab, boring... that's me. lol Sometimes a flax cereal.

I like some eggs sometimes on the weekends if I have time. Ehhh.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:48 PM

Well, I'm glad you're eating your breakfast, even if it's boring sometimes...

I eat oatmeal most mornings too, with nuts and raisins, and some kind of juice (like oj or 100% something). Then fruit a little later.

Saturdays we usually have a bunch of stuff. Homemade waffles (part whole wheat, part reg flour), turkey bacon, eggs, apple slices and oj today. More time to cook on the weekends.

Happy healthy eating everyone...

Old 05-11-2008, 03:38 PM

21 posts, read 51,214 times
usually when I am bulking or moving up classes for boxing I consume large amounts of healthy foods such as oats, eggs etc. And even when I am not very hungry I will have to eat, which usually not very satisfying.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:39 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
Generally, I am an eat to live type. I workout 6 days a week, so I need proper nutrition to keep my body going.

At the same time, I love good food. I do not eat decadent food too often, I feel its possible to cook healthy delicious meals. However, when a special occasion arises, such as a wedding in Chicago this weekend, I have no guilt or qualms in eating the wedding cake, ice cream, or any rich foods, because I know its a rare occasion, so I can truly enjoy it. I can't stand it when I am around people who don't work out and just complain or feel shame about eating rich foods. It's like they don't even get to enjoy it, they just feel guilt!!! No guilt here

Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 PM

323 posts, read 2,089,435 times
Live to eat definetely...
I work out about 3-4 times a week, but I definetely don't deprive myself of any foods..
Moderately of course...
Life's too short

Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPNARD1 View Post
Live to eat definetely...
I work out about 3-4 times a week, but I definetely don't deprive myself of any foods..
Moderately of course...
Life's too short
Exactly. The trick to being able to eat whatever you want is learning to establish boundaries regarding portions and knowing when to stop (and actually stopping) overindulgence.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:39 PM

132 posts, read 537,491 times
Breakfast and Lunch: Eat to live.

Dinner or later: Live to Eat.

Works very well for me

-Angel

Old 05-22-2008, 02:56 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I eat to live and have since I was in my early 20's. I eat to help control my blood glucose, and keep my diabetes in check as much as I can with the help of medicine. I literally have to watch everything I eat and the time I eat it. Every Saturday I have to spend 20 minutes or so in a McDonalds with people well in their 50's 60's and 70's, I eat absolutely nothing there and watch them eat junk, and everyone of them obviously lives to eat and looks it. I have to admit when I sit there on our coffee break that its just not fair. I have to watch everything I eat and they can eat junk everyday of their life and not have diabetes, or so they say. Im now 58 and I would have never seen 35 had I not taken care of myself. So I eat to live and so should everyone else.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:20 PM

Jimrob1, my hat is off to you (or a curtsy or whatever, what does a girl do?) anyway... for taking such good care of yourself, eating to live, so you can enjoy your life feeling your best. And resisting the McDonald temptation when you have to be there every Saturday.

Any chance your friends/coworkers can broaden thier coffee break locale perspective?

They're not doing themselves any favors eating there regularly. I have to admit I can't stomach even the thought of McDonalds and the like. Just makes my stomach turn. I stepped into a Dairy Queen recently because of a family choice (they didn't have to drag me in, but it was hard, I was trying to be amiable - their ice cream isn't bad though). It's a rare event for me, stepping into any fast food place.

I was really sad at the sight of some of the people I saw there (not just overweight, but poor skin too), who looked like they had the routine down and ate there regularly. One woman (grandma?) could hardly walk. I was especially sad for the children who were given that food on a regular basis... I feel like I'm swimming in grease at those places.

Anyway... you're doing great. You're not missing out on anything when it comes to McDonalds.

Hope I didn't offend anyone. I guess I just have an issue with fast food...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness