Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:23 PM

453 posts, read 2,095,738 times

Advertisements

eat to live. i eat 7 meals a day and each meal has it's own nutritional requirements. to a 'live to eat' person, my diet would be pure torture because it is very boring and repetitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,520,653 times
I'm kind of in between both.

I also workout a lot (5-6 days a week; avid jogger, walker, Pilates), but there's a time about once a week that it's okay to get off the health food (for a day only) and just enjoy.

So, I'm a little of both (Eat To Live; I see it as fuel for my body and Live To Eat; it's to be enjoyed on occasion)

Old 05-27-2008, 05:05 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,520,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I do not think that is a stupid answer at all! I am the same way. I try to eat a nutritional-healthy-balanced diet. I run so I try to eat to fuel my running. However, there are some foods that I love to eat just for taste. Like you - I try to balance the two and not get carried away with the yummy stuff. As much as I want to be healthy and run well- you gotta live a little too

Nicole
Very true!!! It's actually healthier too. If you restrict yourself too much then where's the joy. Got to have yummy stuff to on occasion (1 time a week is healthy and okay). You're supposed to enjoy life, not be too hard on yourself.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 PM

165 posts, read 404,361 times
I am truly a eat to live person. If I could do without eating, it would be fine with me. I eat just so I can fuel my body to do what I need. I am waiting for the day when all of our nutrition comes in a capsule you can take at various times throughout the day :-)

Old 06-17-2008, 05:39 PM

29 posts, read 100,228 times
I definitely live to eat. No matter how much I tell myself that food is only to be used as a fuel source, there I go again comforting myself. Hunger just distracts me so.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:26 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,189,998 times
I'm definitely a mix. I'm not going to lie and say I don't love food - because I do. For example, when I go on vacation to a city like San Francisco, one of the things I look forward to most is the variety of excellent restaurants that are available - and the variety of cuisines. The other thing for me is that my social life centers around food, and I suspect this is true of many people. If I suddenly started refusing to eat out for dinner a few times a week, I'd probably see my friends very seldom indeed.

To me the key to balance though is to separate normal life from special occasions. In general, on a day to day basis, I eat to live. I try to eat healthy, keep portions down, and really just try to fuel my body. This allows me to occasionally, when, for example, I'm on vacation or with family and friends, to live to eat. Not going hog wild of course, still watching it and keeping a check on my portions, but with more leeway to enjoy food.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:47 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,275,550 times
I'm a little of both. Gotta have balance.
Eating the stuff that's 'good' for you all the time would be boring but eating the 'bad' stuff all the time would make you sick and have tons of health problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness