Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:47 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
PBCboy, I know what you mean.

Exercise is the key to a lot of things... you feel better, you think better, you have more energy and get more done, you look better and feel better about yourself, more importantly you are healthier, and it does affect your attitude for the positive in my opinion. At least I'm more cheerful when I'm feeling my best physically. I think when you feel yucky it's harder to be positive.

I feel worse when I don't exercise. That's motivation enough for me. Missing 2 days in a row is pushing it for me. I might miss one or 2 days a week, but rarely in a row.

Do what you can do, where you're at. It's worth it.

I'm about 100lbs overweight so I'm starting with the Wii - Its a challenge for me - I'm not planning on stopping there though. ... I'm just using as a tool to get started. Boxing or Tennis on the Wii for a 1/2 hour and I break a sweat - and I feel pretty tired, but good afterwards! So thats where I am starting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 01:55 PM

197 posts, read 798,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Why don't more people go out and exercise? Walk, jog, play basketball, Dance Dance Revolution (yes, a video game!), etc.... I found out that even when I feel like total **** exercise can take all of that away...
I couldn't agree with you more. People think they need this structured type workout program, 3 days a week at the gym, different types of movements, certain number of reps and sets. It's bull**** unless your looking for a certain look, like the bodybuilder type build or a super lean fitness chick. Move, move, and move some more. That is the key and I know from experience. I went from 210lbs. to 166lbs. (i was skinny my entire life, but doctor prescribed some anxiety drug and my weight ballooned, im anti-medication now and pro alternative/natural therapy) at one time and I accomplished this by hitting the track at a local high school 2-4 times a week. I would walk approx. 2-4 miles or so and then finish up with 10 sprints. That high intensity cardio really burns the fat. It's not rocket science, you have to find the time to move, even if its a walk in the morning or on your break at work. I know this time of year is hard because of the cold weather, but buy a cheap exercise bike or a treadmill, you'll be glad you did. Once the weight comes off it's pretty much maintenance to maintain your new current weight. Went to Vegas last year before I went I was 180lbs. came back and was 173lbs. Walked so much I dropped 7lbs. Who would think one would drop weight ON vacation?? Vegas is great though, you never get tired of walking because the sites are exciting and theres so much to do. Its the technology thats making us lazy its not our fault, were humans beings meant to sit at desks on a PC 8-10 hrs. a day. I hear Europeans walk an avg. of 7 miles day.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I'm about 100lbs overweight so I'm starting with the Wii - Its a challenge for me - I'm not planning on stopping there though. ... I'm just using as a tool to get started. Boxing or Tennis on the Wii for a 1/2 hour and I break a sweat - and I feel pretty tired, but good afterwards! So thats where I am starting.
That's great. It's a good thing to enjoy what gets you exercising. Then you'll stay motivated.

I wish you the best. You can do it, you'll see progress before you know it.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Oh - thank you so much for saying that! You don't know how much I need to hear that kind of encouragement right now. I wasn't always fat....I was actually underweight for a long time - then I got pregnant - sick - blah blah blah.....its been 14 yrs since I've gotten so huge and now I've decided I want my life back. Thanks again so much.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:27 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Thumbs up to you Nic529 for getting started. I also wish you the best of luck. But be careful, I hear the Wii boxing game is very addictive. Your planned 20 minute workout could turn into a 3hr workout.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Thumbs up to you Nic529 for getting started. I also wish you the best of luck. But be careful, I hear the Wii boxing game is very addictive. Your planned 20 minute workout could turn into a 3hr workout.

Ha! this is so true! We didnt play last night because I told my husband I need to be in bed before midnight! LOL funny you said that!

I kicked his butt anyway - he needed the break~!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:08 AM

283 posts, read 1,290,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Oh - thank you so much for saying that! You don't know how much I need to hear that kind of encouragement right now. I wasn't always fat....I was actually underweight for a long time - then I got pregnant - sick - blah blah blah.....its been 14 yrs since I've gotten so huge and now I've decided I want my life back. Thanks again so much.
If you get discouraged, don't quit. Just pick it back up the next day. Sometimes a new day makes a huge difference on your outlook. Just a little exercise every day is a little more than you were doing. It all adds up. Keep track of your progress and you WILL see gains in endurance, strength, the size of your smile...

I encourage friends who get down on themselves. Just promise yourself that you will not give up. Even if you don't end up losing weight as fast as you would like, there is no doubt that the exercise is good for your body, from the inside out. You may not see marked decreases on the scale, but I bet your heart will benefit from the commitment to better fitness.

Hang in there and try to do something active, no matter what it is, every day. Could be as simple as walking a dog, or taking a flight of stairs instead of an elevator. Best of luck to you. You can do it.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 AM

Thank you Jbird! Its so nice to hear such kind words of encouragement! Especially when you know you need to hear them.

I don't know how to explain how much it means ~ Thank you to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness