Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:46 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times

Advertisements

Why don't more people go out and exercise? Walk, jog, play basketball, Dance Dance Revolution (yes, a video game!), etc.... I found out that even when I feel like total **** exercise can take all of that away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Why don't more people go out and exercise? Walk, jog, play basketball, Dance Dance Revolution (yes, a video game!), etc.... I found out that even when I feel like total **** exercise can take all of that away...
I used to wonder the same thing, but you know what happend? Life happend. When I was single and in my 20s I didnt really have a care in the world and my only obligation was to my Bulldog and my mortgage company so I had nothing but free time to workout go to the gym and be happy. Now, with two jobs, wife, home, pool, landscaping, it really have to make time to workout.

I still pretty much workout every day, but I can now totally understand how people cannot make time to do so especially if they have kids, spouses, etc.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
I was just telling my husband we should get the Wii for exactly this purpose! Its fun - Its excercise - we can do it alone or with the kids - we really want to lose weight - so we are starting a new routine

Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I was just telling my husband we should get the Wii for exactly this purpose! Its fun - Its excercise - we can do it alone or with the kids - we really want to lose weight - so we are starting a new routine
I don't think you get that much of a workout from the Wii personally. Unless you get DDR for it, which is a big workout...

Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I used to wonder the same thing, but you know what happend? Life happend. When I was single and in my 20s I didnt really have a care in the world and my only obligation was to my Bulldog and my mortgage company so I had nothing but free time to workout go to the gym and be happy. Now, with two jobs, wife, home, pool, landscaping, it really have to make time to workout.

I still pretty much workout every day, but I can now totally understand how people cannot make time to do so especially if they have kids, spouses, etc.
I believe everyone has time to do some kind of workout. As far as spouses and kids, they need to workout too so get the family involved.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I don't think you get that much of a workout from the Wii personally. Unless you get DDR for it, which is a big workout...
We played at a friends house several times - tennis especially we had a blast and we most certainly got a workout (for us anyway) Also, there's a new game coming out called "Wii Fit" - it tracks your progress, what level your at, even comes with a scale. I have to have it lol.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,859 times
I think it depends on the individual's current physical capabilities and if they have ever even exercised in their lifetime. For one, the Wii may be a terrific challenge and for someone else, do nothing. My other thought is for someone that doesn't work-out regularly and see how good they can feel, may be a reason in itself not to exercise. Jeannie

Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
We played at a friends house several times - tennis especially we had a blast and we most certainly got a workout (for us anyway) Also, there's a new game coming out called "Wii Fit" - it tracks your progress, what level your at, even comes with a scale. I have to have it lol.

The store just called ....my Wii is in!!!! YAY!!!! I can't wait!!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
A lot of people are physicallly disabled - not necessarily talking about the obvious ones in wheelchairs, walking with a cane or taking oxygen tanks with them everywhere. Many folks have respiratory conditions such as asthma which seriously restricts their ability to breathe effectively with exercise and not all are aided by the medicines available for asthma. Hayfever sufferers have a similar problem. It's almost tied with asthma in the respiratory department.

I once loved walking and would walk for hours. But time was unkind to me and I can't do much of that now.

Be gentle with your words to someone who appears sedentary. It's a distinct possibility they can't and it hurts them enough already.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:38 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,831 times
PBCboy, I know what you mean.

Exercise is the key to a lot of things... you feel better, you think better, you have more energy and get more done, you look better and feel better about yourself, more importantly you are healthier, and it does affect your attitude for the positive in my opinion. At least I'm more cheerful when I'm feeling my best physically. I think when you feel yucky it's harder to be positive.

I feel worse when I don't exercise. That's motivation enough for me. Missing 2 days in a row is pushing it for me. I might miss one or 2 days a week, but rarely in a row.

Do what you can do, where you're at. It's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness