Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:43 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times

Advertisements

I don't mind light perfume in a normal setting but not somewhere where I get "stuck" and have to breathe it in. If I'm in a store and someone stinks, I can easily move. At the gym, I have to abandon my machine and my progress and possibly my workout depending on whether or not I can get away further enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:40 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Ah, the perfume police. You do have the right to move to another piece of equipment, just the same as the person next to you has the right to use scent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I know it would be impossible to implement, but a "no perfume/cologne" rule in an environment like this would be awesome.
Good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Really, though, the smell on some of these people is so strong that I could see it causing someone to become physically ill or even pass out, which is a lawsuit waiting to happen if someone gets hurt while on a piece of moving equipment.
Good luck with that, too. It's not one person's responsibility to ensure that the person next to him/her does not have a nose too sensitive to tolerate a little cologne.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ah, the perfume police. You do have the right to move to another piece of equipment, just the same as the person next to you has the right to use scent.

Good luck with that.

Good luck with that, too. It's not one person's responsibility to ensure that the person next to him/her does not have a nose too sensitive to tolerate a little cologne.
Oh, right. Having a sensitive nose and feeling nauseated when people like you use half a bottle of perfume (too much by the way) is called being the "perfume police." It's actually called common courtesy. It's the reason why doctor's offices and other places actually post a sign requesting that you not wear perfume in their facility and some even not allowing staff to wear perfume. We get it. You have a stench to cover, but sometimes your normal body stench is actually less nauseating than your cheap perfume.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:40 PM

What you, or I, or Joe Sixpack likes or doesn't like, or anyone's sensitivities, isn't the point.

The point is that someone else's cologne is none of my business. And if I don't like it, I can go elsewhere because it is that other person's right to slather on cheap cologne if that's what he or she wants to do.

It's not rocket science.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:20 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What you, or I, or Joe Sixpack likes or doesn't like, or anyone's sensitivities, isn't the point.

The point is that someone else's cologne is none of my business. And if I don't like it, I can go elsewhere because it is that other person's right to slather on cheap cologne if that's what he or she wants to do.

It's not rocket science.
Strong chemical fragrances absolutely can and do trigger allergy and asthma attacks. That is not rocket science, it's medical science. I don't think one person's desire to unnecessarily slather themselves in a toxic chemical outweighs my right to breathe. Unfortunately, the entire gigantic pool I normally swim in - all 8 lanes of it - is frequently contaminated by perfume so badly that I have to get out and end my workout. I can't just move. And I can't get away in the movie theater or the grocery store line, or on the treadmill when there are none others available (that aren't also next to stinky people). So it IS my business, because it's interfering with my ability to live my life normally, while not wearing perfume would have no effect on the stinky person at all.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
And I can't get away in the movie theater or the grocery store line, or on the treadmill when there are none others available (that aren't also next to stinky people).
Those who object to another person's scent can move to another seat, to another line, or to another piece of equipment.

If the people at the gym are that objectionable, perhaps it would be best to work out at home - the one and only place you have absolute control.

Quote:
So it IS my business, because it's interfering with my ability to live my life normally, while not wearing perfume would have no effect on the stinky person at all.
The only person responsible for you living your life 'normally' is you.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Where I work out they ask women to wash their hands before using equipment as it tends to make a sticky mess especially on rubber surafces.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:38 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Where I work out they ask women to wash their hands before using equipment as it tends to make a sticky mess especially on rubber surafces.
Whats on womens hands that is so sticky they have to ask them to wash???

Old 07-11-2015, 07:09 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
I find it repulsive too. It spoils your rhythm.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:37 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Any smell that's not clean is so offensive. If you bathe regularly and use deodorant you fit in with society. If you stank, you're disgusting. NO EXCUSE! (an shame on you)

Perfume? Wear it so whoever wants to put his nose to your neck can enjoy it. The rest of us struggle to inhale when you walk by. imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness