U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 10:54 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,309,564 times

Advertisements

Also, can you pull off a piece of the piece of chicken, just for the taste, rather than eating the whole thing? That's another thing I've had to learn...it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I've found that in many cases, I can fill up on my healthy fruits and veggies, then satisfy my cravings with tiny portions of other things...since I'm not hungry anymore, I'm only craving the taste, so a small amount of it does the trick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 10:56 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
If it's something I really really want to eat and know I can't, I'll chew it up and then spit it out.
One of the few posts that have made me laugh outloud IRL. We need a new thread - confessions of a calorie counter

When I'm hungry I put Frank's Hot Sauce on lettuce (or microwaved carrots) and eat it, along with a big cup of water. Then if that doesn't work I eat a pickle. They are only 5 calories.

Good luck OP, don't eat the chicken!

Old 07-15-2015, 11:22 PM

Yes, pickles are a good choice, kind of. They have a ton of sodium. Depending on how the chicken is cooked, I almost think it's a better choice. I'm no nutritionist, though.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Yes, pickles are a good choice, kind of. They have a ton of sodium. Depending on how the chicken is cooked, I almost think it's a better choice. I'm no nutritionist, though.
True, not saying chicken is bad at all. But sometimes people want to snack - and they've had all thier calories so they don't need food, they are just use to feeling fuller or wanting to indulge in snacking. Just a silly way of filling up.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:39 PM

I hear ya! I like pickles, too. I prefer bread and butter over dill, and I'm pretty sure they're even worse for me, since they have sugar AND sodium. :P

Old 07-16-2015, 05:34 AM

2,651 posts, read 1,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
What Felix C suggests can become a slippery slope because if you justify eating more by exercising more, you end up spending another hour or two at the gym, taking precious time away from other priorities in your life. You've ALREADY worked out today. Don't sabotage yourself by giving into a craving.

(Take it from me: I spent the last few years overeating and overexercising. My body was in nice shape, but I was exhausted and rarely got anything else done because all I ever did was overeat then compensate with exercising. THAT'S NO WAY TO LIVE!)

It's so much easier to withstand the torment of cravings, learn self control, and get other things done instead of spending another agonizing hour in the gym.
Thanks!! Right now, it is early morning here in beautiful, damp, Colorado, (please send some of this rain to California, oh, that is another story,) I am craving BACON. Oh, yum, how do I get rid of these darn cravings?? I love veggies and fruits and all the "good," stuff but I want BACON and eggs and fried potatoes, some hot sauce............oh, boy!!

Someone said, "we need to eat to live, not live to eat," hmm, smart,; but I guess moderation is the key?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:51 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,353,959 times
those food cravings go away. you have to learn to control them. I never thought I could go without food for 7 days when my wife put me on a juice fast. those first 2 days was hard but by the end of the week I could sit with people eating and not eat. too bad I gained 5 lbs after that stupid fast.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:00 AM

5,549 posts, read 5,879,391 times
Have a cigarette.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:35 AM

2,651 posts, read 1,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Have a cigarette.
RIGHT!!!! I have smoked ONE ciggie in my whole life; and I am not going to start NOW!!! Are you just kidding??

Guess second hand smoke is bad for your health, too!

Old 07-16-2015, 07:33 AM

16,435 posts, read 9,927,389 times
Waling is not a good form of exercise. It doesn't burn calories. It's only useful if you have been extremely sedentary and need to get your muscles moving again. In order for exercise to really help you, you need to get the heart rate up up up via cardio. I know many guys hate cardio, but I truly believe they don't get ripped as fast without it. That gets you lean. And eating is important. Cutting calories is necessary, but don't go below a certain threshold or else you won't lose either. Women do well with at least 1200 calories, guys I'm not so sure about, but probably around 1600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness