U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:37 AM

8,088 posts, read 8,303,415 times

Advertisements

I think this thread really should be in the weight loss section as it is at best on the periphery of being exercise related.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 08:04 AM

4,952 posts, read 4,545,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Waling is not a good form of exercise. It doesn't burn calories. It's only useful if you have been extremely sedentary and need to get your muscles moving again. In order for exercise to really help you, you need to get the heart rate up up up via cardio. I know many guys hate cardio, but I truly believe they don't get ripped as fast without it. That gets you lean. And eating is important. Cutting calories is necessary, but don't go below a certain threshold or else you won't lose either. Women do well with at least 1200 calories, guys I'm not so sure about, but probably around 1600.
I don't know is waling is good exercise, or not - probably not unless you are the waler, but not the walee.

However, WALKING can be great exercise. I walk several miles (3-7) per day at a rate between 3.6-4.0 mph. My heart rate is high when I walk, especially striding up hills while maintaining my speed! My resting heart rate is about 60 bpm. I've also lost weight and inches doing this, and my clothing size had decreased several sizes.

The Mayo Clinic agrees with me....Walking: Trim your waistline, improve your health - Mayo Clinic

Walking is good for the heart, the bones (weight bearing), the heart, the lungs. It's affordable - all you need is a good pair of shoes. Your dog will love you. You don't need to pay for a class or a club. You can do it pretty much anywhere.

Don't knock walking. It's a great exercise.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:38 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,310,473 times
Walking is excellent exercise. It's ludicrous to say that it's not. Is it the most calorie-burning exercise out there? No. But no one said that.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:47 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,803,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Waling is not a good form of exercise. It doesn't burn calories. It's only useful if you have been extremely sedentary and need to get your muscles moving again. In order for exercise to really help you, you need to get the heart rate up up up via cardio. I know many guys hate cardio, but I truly believe they don't get ripped as fast without it. That gets you lean. And eating is important. Cutting calories is necessary, but don't go below a certain threshold or else you won't lose either. Women do well with at least 1200 calories, guys I'm not so sure about, but probably around 1600.
I know a woman who lost 60 pounds by walking. She didn't even change her diet. Granted, she was walking 10 miles a day, but to say walking doesn't burn calories is not accurate.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:52 AM

3,310 posts, read 3,852,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Walking is excellent exercise. It's ludicrous to say that it's not. Is it the most calorie-burning exercise out there? No. But no one said that.
I know, I hate when people say walking is not good, or not helpful! That might cause a lazy person such as myself to say fine then, I'll stay on the couch!!! Whereas if I believed getting up and moving my body is a good idea, I might start walking, and then work my way up to jogging and before I know it lose 40 lbs. because I got moving, and gained confidence and momentum and got my diet in order!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:27 AM

5,549 posts, read 5,881,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
This has been argued and argued.

The mellow, casual exercise people of the world mostly vote that it qualifies as exercise. And since most people fall into the mellow/casual class, there are more yes's than no's.

It’s not. Maybe if you use it as a beginning to a warm up and ending to a cool down, it can be incorporated into an exercise program, but I’d be grasping for justification by saying that. It's sad that we've gotten so much like veal animals so as to consider walking as a form of exercise.

Walking is to exercise as reaching for a pen (or putting on underwear) is to stretching, or as carrying groceries is to weight training. Unless one is walking while carrying a body on their shoulders, it’s hard to call it exercise (for most people). Sorry.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 AM

24,361 posts, read 26,244,522 times
This was on NPR last month: Take A Hike To Do Your Heart And Spirit Good : Shots - Health News : NPR

Quote:
Dr. Tim Church, who studies the effects of physical activity at Louisiana State University's Pennington Biomedical Research Center, is reassuring on that score.

"Too many people think you have to exercise really, really hard to get a benefit, and nothing could be further from the truth," Church says. "You're actually getting, probably, 95 percent or more of the benefits when you're walking as compared to jogging."

Church says walking has many tangible effects on health — lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and an overall lower risk of heart disease.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:51 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
Eat until only 80% full at any sitting.
Why? So you can get hungry again an hour later and eat an extra 40% to try to make up for the 20% you skipped in the initial sitting...?

Old 07-16-2015, 11:31 AM

40,287 posts, read 49,806,394 times
I would think of the last piece of chicken as the enemy instead of something I'm depriving myself of. I feel good, and sort of relieved when I reach the end of the day and I've stayed within my guidelines. Its a kind of relief. I think to myself, "atta girl, now you don't need to think about food until tomorrow."

Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 PM

5,549 posts, read 5,881,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think it’s great that people are trying to get us to be less like veal animals. It’s just sad that they have to promote walking as exercise because they know that we let our bodies get into such a state of disarray that walking is all many of us can tolerate, not physically, but mentally. Our slothish lifestyles, combined with the prevailing culture that encourages and worships luxury promotes the belief that breathing a little heavy or getting our heart rate up is for peasants and a setback to that luxury. The powers that be want a healthier populace but know that the populace is lazy. So they take it easy on us and say, ok walking is now exercise people – look, these contrived studies say so.

And just to clarify, moderate exercise absolutely has its place, a huge place actually. No matter how tempting it is to believe it, walking however is not exercise. And just FYI that it’s tempting for so many to believe because it’s easy. I guess it can be exercise to very unfit people (and even then just as a starter to get to a real exercise program), and that illustrates my point of sadness that we are so unfit as a people that we consider walking as exercise.

Person #1: Do you exercise?
Person #2: Yes.
Person #1: What do you do?
Person #2: I walk.
Person #1: No, I didn’t ask how you get to the store, I asked if you exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness