U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:21 PM

24,345 posts, read 26,240,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
And just to clarify, moderate exercise absolutely has its place, a huge place actually. No matter how tempting it is to believe it, walking however is not exercise. And just FYI that it’s tempting for so many to believe because it’s easy. I guess it can be exercise to very unfit people (and even then just as a starter to get to a real exercise program), and that illustrates my point of sadness that we are so unfit as a people that we consider walking as exercise.
Maybe the point is that as much as people like to complain that back in the day there wasn't an obesity problem, at the same time back in the day people didn't exercise on purpose. They did, in fact walk places. Maybe they went swimming sometimes, they worked in the garden, they did housework, etc. I don't know how old you are, but I'm betting that your grandparents or great-grandparents didn't run anywhere unless they were being chased, and never went to a specific building to pick up and put down heavy things. Physical activity is important for good health, but the average person doesn't need to train like an Olympic athlete to be healthy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:26 PM

9,195 posts, read 5,821,715 times
Walking is fine if you are physically unable to do any other cardio, and it's certainly better than doing nothing at all. But that's about it, unless you're going at a fast pace and adding in some hills. The fact is that many people are capable of working out harder than they do, and setting the bar too low perpetuates it.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:31 PM

9,195 posts, read 5,821,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Maybe the point is that as much as people like to complain that back in the day there wasn't an obesity problem, at the same time back in the day people didn't exercise on purpose. They did, in fact walk places. Maybe they went swimming sometimes, they worked in the garden, they did housework, etc. I don't know how old you are, but I'm betting that your grandparents or great-grandparents didn't run anywhere unless they were being chased, and never went to a specific building to pick up and put down heavy things. Physical activity is important for good health, but the average person doesn't need to train like an Olympic athlete to be healthy.
Back then, people weren't trying to out run their fork, either. Walking simply isn't enough exercise to counteract the effects of a sedentary lifestyle and an overabundance of food.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:45 PM

40,275 posts, read 49,794,534 times
Just to "weigh in" on the exercise debate, if I am not actively exercising and I go on a diet, I am still going to lose weight.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 PM

5,549 posts, read 5,880,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It may not appear so on the surface but I think we kind of agree.

Our lifestyle is changing towards the worse (in terms of physical health) and we aren’t as active as we used to be because being more physical was more necessary back in the day. Because of that inactivity, we have to change what things constitute exercise. And these mild forms of movement now qualify for many people. It’s sad.

So I don’t know, maybe I just convinced myself that it is exercise. I’m bummed out for us. I think I need to take a walk.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:48 PM

3,310 posts, read 3,852,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just to "weigh in" on the exercise debate, if I am not actively exercising and I go on a diet, I am still going to lose weight.
Just to add to that, if you go on a diet and lose weight and then go OFF the diet, the weight could/will come back with a vengeance. This is why one should not go "on a diet" but rather, a "lifestyle change."

Old 07-16-2015, 02:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 13,941,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Back then, people weren't trying to out run their fork, either. Walking simply isn't enough exercise to counteract the effects of a sedentary lifestyle and an overabundance of food.
Yeah, no amount of exercise (running/walking, whatever) will ever counteract a bad diet.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:19 PM

2,879 posts, read 2,866,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I am playing a mental game with myself right now. I am persuading myself NOT to eat that last piece of chicken. No its not ok to eat it because I have reached my allotted calories for the day, and if I eat that chicken I will gain the weight back one way or the either. I spend the entire day at the zoo today to get some exercise in, and walked for an hour yesterday followed by going to the gym everyday. This cant happen! I dont want to end up back at square one!!
Losing weight really doesn't have anything to do with how much you eat but what you eat. I eat a **** ton and I'm fit. Cook for yourself with no pre-prepared ingredients and no sugar and you'll lose 90% of the fat. Also switch over to just water, most "juices" in america are engineered as well.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:11 PM

11,882 posts, read 12,019,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
This is why I ALWAYS keep fresh-cut fruits and veggies in the fridge. I never deprive myself of those. I used to use My Fitness Pal, and the fruit that I ate put me over my sugar limits for the day, but I still didn't deprive myself. Snack on fresh fruit or baby carrots or cherry tomatoes or sliced cucumbers or something...that's what I do when I'm craving something I shouldn't have, and a lot of the time, it fills me up and satisfies me.
Good routine . I'd include melon fruit as part of my meal, and reduce the actual food quantity. Its healthier, and considering how hot its been lately, it also keeps my body cooler .

Old 07-16-2015, 07:21 PM

2,368 posts, read 2,088,452 times
Best thing is not to give in, if you do, your likely to again and again. Even though its seems kind of harmless, its about self control.. which is so tough! Try instead, if your really going to give in and eat, to go for something healthier. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness