U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:53 PM

111 posts, read 92,187 times

Advertisements

just wrap it up and eat it tomorrow when you have a fresh allotment of calories-chances are you're not going to want it though
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:24 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,197,832 times
I am less worried about short-term denial than long-term sustainability. A diet/lifestyle of constant denial is grinding.

My weight in Sept 2007: 220 lbs
Sept 2008:165
June 2012: 185
June 2013: 220
July 2015: 170.

If you're not enjoying what you eat, I'm of the belief that one will eventually put the weight back on.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 AM

30 posts, read 20,718 times
Or you can eat it and do fierce sports after that.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 AM

22,547 posts, read 12,914,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
A portion, 4 ounces of chicken is 230ish calories. That is nothing. But then I am a guy and burning cals is easy for me. I do myfitnespal.com but also eat whatever I need. Post #1 and #4 must be women because as a guy you build muscle quicker when you overeat your calories. Trim the fat off in a recomp or cutting phase.

I could understand if the intention was to stop a craving for chocolate chip or similar useless food but chicken?
Cardio at 80% of my max heart rate, I'm burning 10 calories a minute, so an extra 4 ounces of chicken would equate to an additional 23 minutes of cardio.

Not worth it, easier to skip the extra food and adjust my eating pattern. I was sternly taught, "clean your plate--children are starving in Europe," which makes it feel like a moral wrong for me to leave food, so I have to smaller portions on the plate.

One can also drink more water while eating, talk more to loved ones while eating, don't make a habit of eating while doing other things, don't eat out of boredom, et cetera.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:51 AM

4,481 posts, read 6,544,602 times
OP I have this urge sometimes. I'm not really hungry but want something sweet late at night. I just tell myself that I'm not really hungry and find something to do mentally or physically. In other words distract yourself. Then ignore the urge when you go to bed. Eventually, you will find it easier to ignore such urges when you are not really hungry.

If like me you occasionally give in, don't beat yourself up. Just tell yourself tomorrow you will do better. Then do it.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:13 AM

15,724 posts, read 19,047,865 times
If I'm feeling snacky or hungry at the end of the day, but I know I shouldn't eat something I just go and brush my teeth.

A) I don't want to eat food after I've brushed my teeth because it always tastes nasty
B) For me it signals that the day is over. At that point I'll go lay in bed and read or grade papers, sometimes with a glass of water, craving is completely gone at that point.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:53 PM

18,395 posts, read 18,487,508 times
Some days you need more calories, some days less. I have a range of calories that I allow myself to intake on any given day.......and it varies quite a bit, flexibility.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:04 PM

755 posts, read 573,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
A portion, 4 ounces of chicken is 230ish calories. That is nothing. But then I am a guy and burning cals is easy for me. I do myfitnespal.com but also eat whatever I need. Post #1 and #4 must be women because as a guy you build muscle quicker when you overeat your calories. Trim the fat off in a recomp or cutting phase.

I could understand if the intention was to stop a craving for chocolate chip or similar useless food but chicken?
And who cares if you are gaining muscle and cutting fat. Too many people worry about gaining weight. If you gain the right weight, it is OK.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:06 PM

586 posts, read 606,761 times
I meant to post this in the weight loss section, but thanks for the awesome responses nonetheless!

I ended up not eatingt that piece of chicken, and I am still losing weight at a steady pace ranging from 2-3 lbs per week. I go by the rule that my friend taught me in high school She weighed 180 but at the time that I met here weighed 110. Eat like a king for breakfast, princess for lunch, and pauper for dinner. A lot of people probably know about that rule of thumb, but I found that it works best for me. I try not to eat after 8 pm, because anything after that is hard to digest when I sleep plus its extra calories following me to bed.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:02 AM

1,790 posts, read 949,191 times
Eat to LIVE, do not live to EAT !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness