Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:41 PM

586 posts, read 830,562 times

Advertisements

I am playing a mental game with myself right now. I am persuading myself NOT to eat that last piece of chicken. No its not ok to eat it because I have reached my allotted calories for the day, and if I eat that chicken I will gain the weight back one way or the either. I spend the entire day at the zoo today to get some exercise in, and walked for an hour yesterday followed by going to the gym everyday. This cant happen! I dont want to end up back at square one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 06:34 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Why not work out harder [presumably earlier] to account for the caloric value of that extra piece of chicken [presumably eaten later] which is a solid nutritional intake item as opposed to a brownie? You would then not be stressed. If you needed to eat more then you have exhausted the necessary calories, if you elect to eat less then you have a caloric deficit. Win-win all around.

You can always work out harder the next day or days to account for that chicken.

Last edited by Felix C; 07-15-2015 at 06:44 AM..

Old 07-15-2015, 09:55 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Good mentality, if you're goal is to lose weight.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:07 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Why not work out harder [presumably earlier] to account for the caloric value of that extra piece of chicken [presumably eaten later] which is a solid nutritional intake item as opposed to a brownie? You would then not be stressed. If you needed to eat more then you have exhausted the necessary calories, if you elect to eat less then you have a caloric deficit. Win-win all around.

You can always work out harder the next day or days to account for that chicken.
What Felix C suggests can become a slippery slope because if you justify eating more by exercising more, you end up spending another hour or two at the gym, taking precious time away from other priorities in your life. You've ALREADY worked out today. Don't sabotage yourself by giving into a craving.

(Take it from me: I spent the last few years overeating and overexercising. My body was in nice shape, but I was exhausted and rarely got anything else done because all I ever did was overeat then compensate with exercising. THAT'S NO WAY TO LIVE!)

It's so much easier to withstand the torment of cravings, learn self control, and get other things done instead of spending another agonizing hour in the gym.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:24 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
MMMmmmm....BACON!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:34 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
This works for me: Eat until only 80% full at any sitting.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
A portion, 4 ounces of chicken is 230ish calories. That is nothing. But then I am a guy and burning cals is easy for me. I do myfitnespal.com but also eat whatever I need. Post #1 and #4 must be women because as a guy you build muscle quicker when you overeat your calories. Trim the fat off in a recomp or cutting phase.

I could understand if the intention was to stop a craving for chocolate chip or similar useless food but chicken?

Last edited by Felix C; 07-15-2015 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 01:28 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I am playing a mental game with myself right now. I am persuading myself NOT to eat that last piece of chicken. No its not ok to eat it because I have reached my allotted calories for the day, and if I eat that chicken I will gain the weight back one way or the either. I spend the entire day at the zoo today to get some exercise in, and walked for an hour yesterday followed by going to the gym everyday. This cant happen! I dont want to end up back at square one!!
Fight the good fight! You can do this. You WANT this weight loss and that very thing will get you far in your journey.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:45 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Okay, but if this helps:

First, if you're going to eat a little extra, chicken is a great option.

Second, I was reading that dieters who do well, don't have the attitude that if they slip up, all is lost, back to square one. They just get back on track.

Third, one thing I've found helpful is just to accept the idea that you're going to be hungry. You're hungry, it's okay, you don't have to act on it.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:56 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
A portion, 4 ounces of chicken is 230ish calories. That is nothing. But then I am a guy and burning cals is easy for me. I do myfitnespal.com but also eat whatever I need. Post #1 and #4 must be women because as a guy you build muscle quicker when you overeat your calories. Trim the fat off in a recomp or cutting phase.

I could understand if the intention was to stop a craving for chocolate chip or similar useless food but chicken?
Yes, chicken is a lot healthier than chocolate etc, but it seems OP was talking about simply resisting the urge to eat anything at all because he/she wasn't genuinely hungry, and had exercised so well that day, and didn't want to sabotage the diet, ending up at square one.

We don't know if OP is man or woman, but you're right, Felix C, a man who eats chicken then lifts weights will gain muscle pretty easily. A well-trained woman might also have that experience maybe to a lesser degree and would have to work harder than she is used to, but OP simply expressed that the day was over, the exercise was done, and the eating needs to stop for the day. I fight the same daily battle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness