Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:12 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
A lot of the Joggers I noticed talk a lot about what is best for them, what makes them happy.

I guess it is more a selfish thing than a lazy thing. Even if got everything done and had 45 minutes free at end of the day I would want to spend time with wife, kids etc.

After being gone all day I can't imaging come home at dinner time, eating and running out door living a kitchen a mess, kids who need showers, garbage to be taken out, kids who need help homework etc and running out the door to jog and sticking my wife with all that.

Now if folks grab a quick work out at lunch or maybe occasionally get up at 5 am to jog while spouse and kids are asleep I can see it. But I am talking the folks just jogging around on Sat or Sun or right after work. they are just getting out of work.
How do you know what their kitchens look like or if their kids need help with the homework?

I have a feeling that you are out of shape and are trying to tell yourself it's okay because you're a really great husband and father. If so, while you may very well be an great husband and father, do your family a favor and try to work in some some real exercise 4 or 5 days a week. You'll feel better, look better and most importantly, add some years to your life. Your family can spare you for 30-60 minutes and they'll be happy you're taking care of yourself.

In any case, stop worrying about how other people are living their lives. It's really none of your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 12:55 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
I was half expecting this to be a thread about people who jog on treadmills.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
A lot of the Joggers I noticed talk a lot about what is best for them, what makes them happy.

I guess it is more a selfish thing than a lazy thing. Even if got everything done and had 45 minutes free at end of the day I would want to spend time with wife, kids etc.

After being gone all day I can't imaging come home at dinner time, eating and running out door living a kitchen a mess, kids who need showers, garbage to be taken out, kids who need help homework etc and running out the door to jog and sticking my wife with all that.

Now if folks grab a quick work out at lunch or maybe occasionally get up at 5 am to jog while spouse and kids are asleep I can see it. But I am talking the folks just jogging around on Sat or Sun or right after work. they are just getting out of work.
you've been posting here today since about half past seven this morning. Surely that time could have been better served doing something else besides being lazy postin' on the interwebs (spending time with your family, actually working, etc)

Old 07-23-2015, 01:04 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
.... which is way better for your knees as the hard asphalt.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Um...huh?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:23 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
.... which is way better for your knees as the hard asphalt.
I don't know, but it would have made more sense than the first post though.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:02 PM

227 posts, read 258,066 times
The flip side is -- if you don't take care of yourself (exercise) then aren't you being selfish to your family? If your health suffers from not caring for your body to the point of becoming a burden or dying prematurely, wasn't that selfish and lazy?

Old 07-23-2015, 02:22 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
From the title, I thought it would be about how people who jog--as in steady running--are lazy compared to those who go in for sprints or intervals. If that had been the OP's assertion, there would probably be some people on this forum who would agree. Not everyone here, but some.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:25 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
Exercise keeps me sane and enables me to do all the stuff you listed, plus more. I'm up before 5am during the school year and before 6am during the summer. And when the shoe is on the other foot and my husband needs exercise to keep firing on all pistons, I hold the door open for him.

Lazy and selfish is not taking care of your physical body so you're able to do all the other things in your life.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:29 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
You know who I think are lazy? The people who actually shop for and prep wholesome food from scratch. I mean really, think of all of the chores that you slack off on while chopping, fileting, marinading, grilling, etc. Me, I just heat up some Easy Mac, boil some hot dogs, and crack open a can of creamed corn. Who has the time to sit down at the table with that? I pack it all in Bento boxes so the kids can eat in the minivan on the way to [insert extracurricular activity].

/sarcasm and hyperbole
Actually, I think couch potatoes are the lazy ones, but not for the reason you might think. Nothing to do with lazing around in front of the television all day. Nope, not that.

It's just that couch potatoes are obviously too lazy to do all that work they'd get done in the years they could add to their lives if they exercised!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness