Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:10 PM

509 posts, read 554,249 times

Advertisements

Depends on where you run. If you are bored, maybe try an interesting trail, the beach, a mountain... something that interests you to keep going...to see what will come ahead.

Some people set goals in their mind to keep going. Such as try to get to a certain light post in under 20 seconds.

Running with a friend is also an option some like.

I only use a treadmill that has an attached TV, how anyone does it while staring at the wall is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 12:11 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I no longer use treadmills but when I did I would set them on hill setting and amp up speed as needed. I focused on slowly incrementing speed or resistance until I found my falling off point. Select the performance settings and select from difficult workouts there:firefighter test, Vox max,various hill settings,etc. Stopped using them due to the impacts on my knees being harder than running on grass. There are better choices for interior equipment to train cardio.

I disagree about watching the television. If being tested you focus on breathing, HR, speed, distance. New gym has the built in tv sets. Hate them. Well there is a difference between training and exercising.

Last edited by Felix C; 07-26-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-26-2015, 12:21 PM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
come and run with me .. never a dull moment dodging traffic and keeping ahead of biting dogs ..

Old 07-26-2015, 12:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Hate hate hate the treadmill. I get bored so quickly on it (same with the elliptical or any other indoor cardio) that I psych myself out of it. If there is a lot of snow and ice I *might* get desperate enough to break down and use one (even then, I'd rather get the cross country skis out of the crawl space), but I don't care how hot or cold it is outside, that's where my cardio happens.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:36 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
On several occasions I have tried to go running or use a treadmill. However, each time I ended up quitting after five minutes due to extreme boredom. I have no idea how people can run for many miles when I can't even run a mile before giving up. How do people make running less dull and boring?

If I had to just walk around my neighborhood without listening to something, it would be pretty dull too. I don't go running, I hike instead and it would be in a park where there are lots of pretty hiking trails. Most often I'll listen to sermons (on my mp3 player) while I'm out hiking. Now I can't get out to those parks all the time when I want to exercise, so sometimes (like before I go to work) I'll go for a walk around my neighborhood and that's when I want to always take the sermons with me 'cause like I said, walking around the neighborhood block's quite dull--not much scenic beauty there, at least when compared to the hiking trails! (Being in the scenic parks don't bore me as much so I don't feel like I have to have something to listen to).

Old 07-26-2015, 12:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I get bored with running, biking, driving...what I do is listen to podcasts while I am doing it.
Running is usually with my dog listening to various podcasts. The dog makes it more fun, too. I don't know why. I guess just the company.

Mostly I play tennis or lift weights.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
On several occasions I have tried to go running or use a treadmill. However, each time I ended up quitting after five minutes due to extreme boredom. I have no idea how people can run for many miles when I can't even run a mile before giving up. How do people make running less dull and boring?
I used a TV set in front of the treadmill (with headphones) or sometimes, just got "lost in my own thinking." My treadmill sessions were usually over 60 minutes, non-stop. In my jogging days, as well as sometimes on the treadmill, I used a portable lightweight radio with tape player - but then, only sometimes. Concentrating on the business of jogging/treadmilling, and how great I'll look if I keep it up, usually was enough to "occupy" my mind. When I jogged (back in my 20's - 30's) I jogged for like 5 miles. It was a pretty long trip. I would often change the route for a change of scenery.

In either event, I took a few minutes before starting to get "mentally up for it." I think that was important. And don't drag out that step. You overdo it and start thinking of reasons to just skip it for the day. 5 minutes max. Eat a banana during that step. You'll need the glucose for the pep.

And, btw, it takes a few sessions to develop the stick-to-it attitude. Not sure why, but a week or so after I began the program, I was actually looking forward to that time.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:00 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Your mind is somewhere else - on music, on TV, on some project or problem - people who can't do that won't enjoy treadmill exercise.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:05 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
..........I disagree about watching the television. If being tested you focus on breathing, HR, speed, distance. New gym has the built in tv sets. Hate them. Well there is a difference between training and exercising.
Agreed. In the 80's, I tried to get into having the music in my ears when I ran and I couldn't do it. It would interfere with my breathing and I had to turn it off.

These days if I ran (a stage injury rather prevents that), I certainly couldn't do it on a treadmill.......especially when I wanted to practice sudden evasion moves.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:18 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Work out with a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness